FRAC Overnights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CCDiscoB

It seems, from what I've been reading here, that when you guys RON, it strickly for pilot rest. If it's your 4th leg of the day and you are taking a high roller to Vegas, can you get excited about spending more than 12 hours there? Or is the company expecting you at 0 dark 30 to fly away to pick some else up? What fun is spending 7 days away from home if you can't have a beer with dinner? What's the longest layover you've had?

It varies by fleet but I can say in the ultra the overnights are for rest and that's about it. You can probably get some time if you broke down but going out and having a beer is not really in the cards. Your available after your 10hrs which violates are operations manual that says you have to have 12hrs bottle to throttle.

You can get some good overnights in sat, mke, gso and stuff like that because they are all service centers but they could always have another plane there.

Sure we go out and get some good dinners but in the ultra your too tired. Everyone else in different fleets have different experiecnes. Like in the 2000 your on 1 off 1 so on.

Hope this helps.

speaking as a guy thats (no **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**e) had "2 turnin' and 2 burnin" and ended up 40 feet underwater (it only floats for about 3 steps towards the hatch), lookin for a job that fits your lifestyle ain't a bad idea. You never now when that lifestyle may take a sudden turn for .... conclusion.

Have fun now, its only a job !

The Hawker Fleet is a little more laid back.
I have had a quite a few trips where I have spent more than one day in one place. Also if I am dropping off or picking up at a Hawker maintenance base-you can usually count on some free time.
I have also had trips where 10 hours and your back at it-so even if you are on stand by-after 10 hours you have to be ready to go ASAP. I believe the Gulfstreams and the BBJ stay places for allot longer than most of the other NetJets fleets.

Fly Safe
Chuck

Posted by Diesel
The overnights are for rest and that's about it. You can probably get some time if you broke down but going out and having a beer is not really in the cards. Your available after your 10hrs which violates are operations manual that says you have to have 12hrs bottle to throttle.
Careful buddy you keep blowing sunshine up these guys butts like this and the majors won't be able to get any pilots cuz they'll be in line for Netjets. But seriously this is one of the criticisms I have with Netjets, the Union and some of the pilots I fly with. I don't have to drink every day, but to not be able to have a beer on the road EVER is criminal. BTW recent a crew got fired for declining a trip due to having a drink with dinner (they thought they had a late how, but got an asap at o'dark ugly) It's not just the drinking thing you also said:
Sure we go out and get some good dinners but [you're] too tired.
I have a huge problem with this. For those of you who don't know anything about the life of a frac pilot here it is. 12 hours prior to your first day of work until midnight on the last day your butt is the company's. They may or may not tell you what you're doing the next day but it really doesn't matter, because it can change and often does so for all practical purposes you can work at all hours of the day for 14 hours in a row every day until you cry Uncle.

Now before you blast me I for the most part knew this before I signed on and I do what is expected of me - it's our job. BUT do I think this arrangement is optimal - no. Do I think this could/should be improved on - yes. Do I think you're an idiot for saying this is the best job in the world and nothing needs to change and anyone who thinks otherwise should leave - yes.

Wow - sounds like you love your job! I like beer as much(or more) than anybody else but geez dude - I don't consider having to go without one for a few days as 'criminal'!

You say it's not a perfect job - for you it may not be - maybe for Diesel or some other NJA pilots it is. Just depends on the individual.

I bet you're a joy to share a cockpit with for 7 days! Maybe you should go back to your regional!

JADP

justadumbpilot said:
I bet you're a joy to share a cockpit with for 7 days! Maybe you should go back to your regional!
I knew I'd get slammed, I guess I deserve it - I suppose this is the wrong forum. I was just trying to give people a different point of view, maybe I went too far. I will say though and thought I did, I like it at Netjets and believe it or not I try to maintain a positive attitude when I'm on the road - the catering usually helps me do that. BUT and I guess I'll make this my last comment for awhile I can and have found good things in all jobs I've had, but I'm of the understanding that Nejets is going for career level not just a temp job. If that's true a lot could change.

Careful buddy you keep blowing sunshine up these guys butts like this and the majors won't be able to get any pilots cuz they'll be in line for Netjets. by .92whishn1.92

What's with you man? Honestly. Sure I want a beer at the end of a long day but I do realize that they can call me in 10hrs and i will be technically wrong.

First of all I think 14/10 is wrong I'll only do it twice and then I put a stop to it. It's for the safety and the company realizes this.

Where am I blowing sunshine. Everyone knows that the ultra is the workhorse. I've had some great overnight like being stuck in the islands for a couple of days, and in mexico with a broke plane.

The fact is they work us here, it's no secret. I can do without a drink for 6 days especially if my job is on the line. Was that 1 beer really worth it? I don't think so. Once they change the rules which might be in the next contract i'll stick with the safe side.

Friends of mine in different fleets have different experiences but all i can talk about is the ultra.

Latest resources

Back