• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frac Culture question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A search of the Union board would most likely yield you a few dozen threads on the topic with a few hundred responses.

Every reason under the sun is given...

Some right, some wrong... all valid.

Look at Flylow on his political like response. He's a stick hog!!!

YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSsssssss!!!!!

I souldn't do that to ya FlyLow. Let's go get a :beer: , and if we are lucky, we'll run into a :pimp: who could introduce us to his ;) . Afterwards, depending on the amount of :beer: we drink, one of us (you) might have to :puke: . The thing to be careful of, is to make sure your wife doesn't find out because she would go :nuts: with the :uzi: , and put a cap in yo a$$ which will make you :blush: . But don't worry bro, I won't say a word.:cool:

How do the "high time airline "guys feel if they get into a plane and the Captain won't thet them fly?? I ask because I know there are plenty of retired/furloughed/or just quite 121. guys that probably run into this situation.

I ask because I'm former 121 with about 5 yrs. in a CRJ and about 400hrs in a 400A. Most of my time is in jets and although I'm a fairly relaxed guy I think I'd be pretty sarcastic by day 5,6,or7.

I flew with a guy last tour that was that way also Jack, same fleet as you. ( I bet most of the guys that have issues are from the 1000) Short ferry of about 15 minutes folowed by a pax leg. We get the airplane ready and he throws his headset in the left seat. I guess I will fly from the right seat, no big deal. On the taxi we get to the t/o brief and he says he will fly it since it is a short leg and he has not flown that tail number in 6 months. I start to laugh at him and say your the boss. He then gets pissy with me the rest of the day for laughing at him.

I know it has been posted on the 1108, but as ATP's do we really need a warm-up leg?

haha yeah the "warm up leg" thats a common one. "oh we are going to teb next today I need a warm up leg" its funny. I have noticed more the just one guy being the stick hog. I am glad to see I am not the only one that notices this. Just a different culture then the airlines. I do love working for NJA though. My thanks to all the pre 05 guys that made it possible for me.

IOn the taxi we get to the t/o brief and he says he will fly it since it is a short leg and he has not flown that tail number in 6 months. I start to laugh at him and say your the boss. He then gets pissy with me the rest of the day for laughing at him.

I know it has been posted on the 1108, but as ATP's do we really need a warm-up leg?

That tail number??? Wow, I would have laughed at him also. He deserves it.

I like the Warm Up Captains as well. This is usually followed by the "you need to think about this when you upgrade" talk. I then ask how much time they have flying jets, and that's when I start to laugh. Not one of those guys came from a lengthy 121 background. Don't get me wrong, I know jerks, wierdos, and bad pilots in the 121 realm as well. If a CA only lets me fly ferry legs and tells me that is the way it is going to be, I just tell him I don't need to fly at all the entire trip as he/she deems me unsafe to run an autopilot. Makes for a fun 7 day. Especially when you point out every other leg what part of the SOP's or FOM that they either forgot or disregarded. :laugh:

Wow. You guys really opened up my eyes to the frac world of flying. Are you paired-up with the same person for all seven days? What if you have a serious personality conflict? How does this get resolved?

I had a dude in the cockpit once said as he was handing me a bottle of hand sanitizer after I sneezed: "please don't contribute to the germs of society". No joke!

...Makes for a fun 7 day. Especially when you point out every other leg what part of the SOP's or FOM that they either forgot or disregarded. :laugh:

LOL... had a guy a while back that I could tell I was just making uncomfortable. Nothing unsafe, just doing things different enough from the way he'd do it. He pretty well let me do my thing, but I could tell he was bristling. (I was doing crazy things like climbing at the profile speeds, versus the ~40 knots slower he was climbing at... :rolleyes: )

So we're coming in on an published arrival, cleared to 15,000. The chart has an Expect to cross XXXXX at 10,000 a little down the road, so I programmed the box to give me a path to that point (about 3.2 degrees), and followed it.

I was going down at about 2300fpm, and he finally piped up: "Could you reduce the descent rate? You don't need to come down that fast."

"Sure, I can do that. I was just descending with that expect-to-cross in mind, but I'll ease it up if you like."

... not 5 seconds later ...

"EJA123, cross XXXXX at 10,000."

I re-joined my vertical path. Neither one of us said a word. :p

Okay, if we're going to play the Corporate vs. Airline thing, I love it when the other guy (usually a retired legacy Captain) is given a descent and immediately reaches for the speedbrake handle. "You were a 757/767 guy, am I right?"

As to Jack's thread starter, I don't find any particular pattern to who flies how much based on whether they were corporate, airline, or military. Like most things in fractional flying, it's the luck of the draw. The only common thing I've found after 8 years of this is: Ex-airline guys think this job is hard work, ex-military guys are happy to have a stable retirement job, and ex-corporate guys know this is the easiest gig in the business.:bomb:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back