Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jack Mehoff

I PITTY DA FOO!
I am new to NJA and have noticed that as an FO you barely ever fly the plane. At the Airlines it was usually every other leg 50/50. I'm vary happy to sit there enjoy the view and get a paycheck. I am just curious if flops, flex and CS are the same way or if this is a NJA thing.

This is rather odd....

--First off, what fleet are you in?
--Do you have the minimum 75 hrs in type with NJA as directed in our FOM to do pax legs?
--There are further restrictions as to when the F/O can t/o or land based on wx but that should be that much of an issue.

Also, if you're flying with a new Captain, he must do all the pax legs until he has 100hr in the a/c.

I thought most of our guy alternated legs with the right seat.

You either scare them with your first landing or are just having bum luck. We have a few stick hogs, but not that many that I have seen.

I do have the 75hrs req meet and haven't scared the plane so far. I guess its just luck o da draw. thanks for the feed back

Who cares who flies. The pay is the same regardless. I am not here to build flight time, and on a long flight I would rather talk to a controller then hit the heading button. But thats just me.

It seems like at the beginning of the tour, the PIC will ask if I want to fly from the left seat or right seat. Since I havent flown in the right seat for 15 yrs, I prefer the left seat. So, by my own choice, I only fly the empty flights. Its not uncommon for the day to start with a repo, then pax, then repo. So I get 2 flights, PIC gets 1. I have also flown flown with the same few PICs over and over, so its not a problem with them....at least they dont say anything. I have only flown 1 pax flight (from the right seat) since IOE.

Also, I would rather be the PF on a short, busy flight (TEB-HPN).

Last edited:
I can't speak for all the captains at FLOPS, but a lot of us along with myself are starting to do days. The beginning of my tour I flip a coin (no matter what it is, my partner always wins the toss) and the winner choses whether he will fly, or work the radios. I let them choose right or left seat for flying. That way, we are not always swapping headsets every leg.

Not that this is the case in you instance. But I have only heard of captains being stick hogs if the co-pilot is new to the plane, not doing his job right, or being difficult.

Hope this give you some insight.

At Flight Options I switch seats every other day.

One day I do all the flying the next day my FO is in the left seat and does all the flying.

Only when we have one of those special airports or situations where I have to fly according to the SOP's. I then give him extra leg to even it all up.

I fly every other leg in the excel. THe big thing I noticed is a huge difference in how uptight and rigid some guys are. For example 2.5 hour ferry leg, not my leg, I pull out an article I wanted to read and guy tells me I need to be looking at my instruments? WTF? Another example is, we were backing up another company's flight and Cap wanted me to sit out in the airplane for an hour and a half with the apu running b4 the departure of the flight we were backing up. I asked why we shouldn't just get the plane ready and go back inside and fire it up 30 mins prior. He told me it was a sign of good faith? I have noticed a huge difference in culture on this side of the industry compared to the airlines.

Last edited:
I fly every other leg in the excel. THe big thing I noticed is a huge difference in how uptight and rigid some guys are. For example 2.5 hour ferry leg, not my leg, I pull out an article I wanted to read and guy tells me I need to be looking at my instruments? WTF? Another example is, we were backing up another company's flight and Cap wanted me to sit out in the airplane for an hour and a half with the apu running b4 the departure of the flight we were backing up. I asked why we shouldn't just get the plane ready and go back inside and fire it up 30 mins prior. He told me it was a sign of good faith? I have noticed a huge difference in culture on this side of the industry compared to the airlines.

the impression i am getting is a "my airplane" complex with some capts that are from GA only backgrounds. The airline/ret. military guys are fun to fly with and just out to have a fun week.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back