Four engine prop crash in Seattle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huck

Just saw footage on CNN of a four round engine aircraft off a runway and in the water in Seattle.

Thought it was a B-17, then my stomach turned - I think it was the Boeing 307 that was at Oshkosh last year. Can anyone confirm this?

Just saw the same footage, I fear you are right.

Edited:
Yep, PAA on the aft fuselage, it's the aircraft you refer to.

Last edited:
The Good News

Two things:

1- The water is so shallow that it will be relatively easy to recover it. Expensive to fix, to be sure, but it's not a writeoff.

2- According to CNN, nobody was injured. That's the really important part.

According to the Seattle Times website, the plane involved in the crash was the only remaining airworthy Boeing 307 in the world.

What a shame. Hope everyone got out alright.

C425Driver

A nice piece of flying by those pilots. Outstanding. Not easy to ditch an airplane. Congrats to the crew.

I had not heard of this aircraft before today's story, but remembered seeing it in photographs after pulling it up on the EAA website. The site also has interior shots.

Hopefully those who restored it the first time will have the ability and the funds to do it again. She's a real peach.

Well its a Smithsonian project so I think they will be able to restore it. Mostly looks like some water damage to the interior and engine overhauls for all four.

I hope they get the bird flying again. :(

Local Seattle TV News said there were 4 people on board. The plane made a soft landing on the water right infront of a restaurant, and shortly after, the 4 people on board climbed out on the wing and waited for the Coast Guard to show up. They were essentially uninjured.

There is a great picture of the same plane on the Airliners.net website, of the plane making an approach into BFI with the #3 prop feathered. Apparently, the caption with the photo says:

"Clipper Flying Cloud". Restored Pan Am 307 returning to BFI after its "first flight" after refurbishment. Notice that the number three (3) engine is feathered. Apparently all did not go well.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=178158
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=178157

It was a beautiful aircraft. Hopefully they get it restored again.

low&slow

Latest resources

Back