• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Four engine prop crash in Seattle

Huck

Total Time
Just saw footage on CNN of a four round engine aircraft off a runway and in the water in Seattle.

Thought it was a B-17, then my stomach turned - I think it was the Boeing 307 that was at Oshkosh last year. Can anyone confirm this?

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
Just saw the same footage, I fear you are right.

Edited:
Yep, PAA on the aft fuselage, it's the aircraft you refer to.

Last edited:

I.P. Freley

I like people food
Total Time
Enough
The Good News

Two things:

1- The water is so shallow that it will be relatively easy to recover it. Expensive to fix, to be sure, but it's not a writeoff.

2- According to CNN, nobody was injured. That's the really important part.

C425Driver

Total Time
According to the Seattle Times website, the plane involved in the crash was the only remaining airworthy Boeing 307 in the world.

What a shame. Hope everyone got out alright.

C425Driver

Draginass

Total Time
5000+
A nice piece of flying by those pilots. Outstanding. Not easy to ditch an airplane. Congrats to the crew.

FL000

Total Time
I had not heard of this aircraft before today's story, but remembered seeing it in photographs after pulling it up on the EAA website. The site also has interior shots.

Hopefully those who restored it the first time will have the ability and the funds to do it again. She's a real peach.

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
Total Time
-5Z
Well its a Smithsonian project so I think they will be able to restore it. Mostly looks like some water damage to the interior and engine overhauls for all four.

I hope they get the bird flying again. :(

low&slow

In Limbo
Total Time
Local Seattle TV News said there were 4 people on board. The plane made a soft landing on the water right infront of a restaurant, and shortly after, the 4 people on board climbed out on the wing and waited for the Coast Guard to show up. They were essentially uninjured.

There is a great picture of the same plane on the Airliners.net website, of the plane making an approach into BFI with the #3 prop feathered. Apparently, the caption with the photo says:

"Clipper Flying Cloud". Restored Pan Am 307 returning to BFI after its "first flight" after refurbishment. Notice that the number three (3) engine is feathered. Apparently all did not go well.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=178158
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=178157

It was a beautiful aircraft. Hopefully they get it restored again.

low&slow

stingray

Total Time
some
salt water can screw a plane up. however the plane looks like it was in good condition hopefully they can fixe it. it will take a lot of work.
It feels like you loose a member of the family when a plane like that wrecks. it makes you sick like that B-29 that burnt to the ground near Iceland or whever they where recoverying it from.
Thank God the people lived through it!

Last edited: