Forward Slips Part Two

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slipping over the trees...

Regarding my comment about "slipping over the trees at night": This is at my home airport in a C-172. There is no way I'm going to try and "avoid trees" in the dark at an unfamiliar airport, slip or no slip.

But in this particular case at my home airport, where I know the night landmarks (powerlines when approaching from the north, Norm's house on the dogleg from the south), slipping has become a very valuable tool.

But, as a low-hour pilot, I'm definitely appreciating the fact that some significantly more experienced pilots are voicing their opinions on the subject.

...Dave

Actually, ShawnC, I have. And I've also flown 152's into strips with names like "Chicken Strip", 1500 glorious feet of pea gravel sloping up the side of a mountain. Oh, and the OAT was >40 C. Regarding your comment on management of kinetic and other forms of energy and the fact that big iron guys lose track of these concepts...I differ on that. Energy management is a primary consideration when flying something that heavy. Gliders are one thing, but, after all, most turbine powered aircraft are gliders from TOD to 500'.

By the way, in powered airplanes, why would a pilot have to use power during a Forward Slip? If a pilot is in positive command of the airplane during this maneuver, power is not used nor is it necessary. Think about it. Power management during a forward slip is an oxymoron. That's somewhat like driving with your brakes on during a driving test. Available power = Zero.

Power is NOT considered an available resource when performing a forward slip. Although it is there during training scenarios, the assumption (simulated condition) is that the powerplant is either producing insufficient thrust to maintain a glide appropriate to the selected aim/touchdown point or unavailable completely due to one of the most common causes of engine failure - fuel starvation. At which point the statement in some AFM's regarding uncovering of the fuel port and/or other fuel supply problems (namely in the full flap configuration) becomes moot.

The PTS needs to be revised.

The fuselage is considered a drag device during this maneuver. All pilots must understand the notion that "most" of the times stuff is hanging out in the wind it is to dissipate excess airspeed/altitude and therefore, power is taken out of the equation. Flying is an applied science flown by artisans whose medium is air. But we'll reserve airmanship for another thread.

If anyone should understand the Forward Slip it is a glider jockey.

Sounds like an article that needs to be written and submitted to the ASF for publication in an upcoming issue of AOPA or Flight Training Magazine. Has anyone seen my Java?

That is all...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back