• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Forward Slips Part Two

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RECOVERED TOO LATE FROM A FORWARD SLIP AND STRUCK SURFACE. DAMAGED LANDING GEAR AND PROPELLER

Pilot Qualification: NO BIENNIAL FLIGHT REVIEW
Flight Time Total Hours: 370
Total in Make/Model: 250

Huh? What was this pilot recovering from? Lack of refresher training on go arounds or slips or...

There are going to accidents as with all forms of flights, I am sure if I looked hard enough I can find accident reports where the pilots overshot the runway on engine out because they weren't profienct on using the forward slip to lose alititude.

And what is a 26hr pilot doing Forward slip? Well on my second training flight, in the L-23 Blanik had to use a forward slip. Heck I don't even know how I did it since it was my first ever, but my instructor swears to this day that all he did was pull the nose up since I let it drop.

tothelineplz said:
STUDENT OVERSHOT FINAL AND MADE FORWARD SLIP TO LOSE ALTITUDE. HARD LANDING AND VEERED OFF RUNWAY.

What the heck is a student pilot performing this maneuver for at 26 hours TT? This is an advanced maneuver which requires a thorough understanding prior to perfoming.

FAR 61.87 Solo Requiriments:

Blah-blah

(14) Slips to landing

Well it's required knowledge to solo.

A student pilot who is receiving training for a single-engine airplane rating must receive and log flight training for the following maneuvers and procedures:

That is the requirement. It is my expert opinion that the forward slip should not be practiced by solo students in pursuit of a private pilot certificate.

Putting this maneuver in the tool bag of pre-solo students is ill-advised from my perspective because it de-emphasizes proper planning and airmanship. It is imperative our CFI's out there properly "supervise" their students during solo activity and this includes placing limitations on maneuvers which "student" pilots are to perform on assigned training flights. The forward slip is an inappropriate maneuver for a pre-solo student to practice while engaged in solo flight.

Unless, of course, one is flying something without flaps.

That is all...

"pre-solo student to practice while engaged in solo flight." Huh ? Some of y'all need to read Barry Schiff's "The Proficient Pilot", Vol. 1,"Slip Tips".

Slips

I don't understand all the controversy about teaching slips to low time student pilots--when I was instructing I always taught slips to my students. Some of the aircraft I instructed in had flaps & some didn't. I was taught slips before solo in a J 3 cub. A few years back I slipped a passenger Convair 440--we were empty but the 2 flight attendants in back raised quite a ruckus & one of them even stormed into the cockpit & accused me of having a incestuous relationship with my mother!!

Slips and the 172

On the 172 it says "Avoid slips with flaps extended" and I'm wondering if I should even teach students to do slips with the flaps extended.

I do it on my own often, but am wondering if an examiner would fail someone for doing a forward slip in a 172 with full flaps???

I guess, like many people i'm trying to differentiate between "avoid" and "prohibited"

Slips in a 172

The 172 POH says slips with full flaps are "not recommended". They are not prohibited, though. The reason they are not recommended is that with full flaps there can be some airflow distubance over the elevator, causing some buffeting. The buffeting, however, has no real affect on airplane control; it is just a little disconcerting if you've never experienced it (I have).

...Dave

Personally I in the Cessna series of aircraft I would rather use flaps 20 with a slight slip rather than flaps 30, because in a go around pulling the slip out you have no loss of altitude related to pulling out the flaps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back