• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fortune magazine article on Sokal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You must have spent a lot of time researching based on your spelling. :)

You must have spent a lot of time researching based on your spelling. :)

Just corrected it - thanks.

As for research, I think I saw it linked off of CNN.com, and thought some of you might want to read it.

Last edited:
Not to worry, it's a common mistake for those on the outside.

Now I remember where I got "Sokal" on the brain - there was a physicist named Alan Sokal who played a hoax on a bunch of post-modernist "academics", submitting an intentionally nonsensical paper to a post-moderenist journal, which they still published. Made quite a splash in academia in the mid '90s, and made the post-modernist crowd look pretty foolish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

Now I remember where I got "Sokal" on the brain - there was a physicist named Alan Sokal who played a hoax on a bunch of post-modernist "academics", submitting an intentionally nonsensical paper to a post-moderenist journal, which they still published. Made quite a splash in academia in the mid '90s, and made the post-modernist crowd look pretty foolish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair
More recently, one of the 911 Truther "Scientific studies" promoting the idea that the World Trade Center collapse was a Demolition was published in a similar "Peer-reviewed" science magazine. Nut jobs running around claiming to have peer reviewed status for their nonsense...

The magazine accepted also published a nonsensical computer generated paper submitted by a Physics graduate student from NY. This author was also invited to join the peer review board.

The judgment that matters here, of course, is Buffett's, and he is pleased and satisfied. "Dave is now making very good money, and not from selling planes," Buffett says. "It looks like NetJets will earn $200 million pretax this year. It's as remarkable a managerial achievement as I have ever seen. When aviation picks up, it could be a company that could earn $500 million a year."
I hate to say I told you so ... 19 ....

Let the Recalls begin ....

Last edited:
Why recall when you can squeeze even more $$ out of the company and it's employees.

DS is on record saying companies shouldn't hire until the current employees are working at 125%. :rolleyes: Is Netjets there now? Are Netjets pilots doing everything they can to hasten recalls, within the bounds of the CBA? How many are taking overtime? And what about the large percentage on the 18 day schedule? If everyone were to depart their lucrative 18 day schedule, many of us could return to work instead of clamoring for the next unemployment check. I'm just throwing those questions out for discussion, but we all know there is more that could be done. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jack,

Overtime up to 14 hours is not voluntary. The only way to get out of it is to inform the company that you are too fatigued to fly. Fatigue calls seem to be increasing based on the tempo we've been holding. I would expect that to increase further as we head toward busy season.

As to the 18 Day and folks not bidding it, I don't know how that's shaping up. Just for me - I know I'm not bidding it or taking any voluntary extended days while we have pilots on furlough.

Latest resources

Back