Forgien ownership?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AMANSWORLD

Just see on on Fox News that the Bush Administration is trying to approve forgein ownership up to and including majority ownership.....all I have to say about that is very simply.... time for a new administration (it is the icing on the cake) IMHO what a poor president with no thought for long term goals and outcomes, he has a proven record of failure, congats Mr. Bush you have lost all of my support as well as the republican party (which is what I have been all my life)

Does this not require an act of congress to get foreign ownership approved.

If anyone knows the answer please let me know.

iflyhigh

At least for now

yes

write your representatives and senators. This is not good. Imagine flying for the likes of the Ryan CEO in Ireland.
Ding...could I please have a coffee?
reply from the "A" F/A...that will be 3 Euros.

I think Bush is trying to INCREASE foreign ownership from 25% to 49%, with a 25% voting right. No foreign company can own more than 49% of a US company. I wouldn't mind if they increased it to 49% (with te 25% voting share on the board) because it would bring in DEEP POCKETS (like Air France in our case) and we would use their good credit to buy new airplanes. There really is NO WAY foreign airlines will buy into American airlines and then bring their pilots over here. It is generally too expensive to get your own flying done in other countries, unless you are the son of the dictator or your parents can create money (maybe they went to Hogwarts Academy). Just not going to happen. But, I want their good credit. And, I want to wear a baret and look like Peppy Le Pue.

Bye Bye--General Lee

or imagine working for a well managed airline, that actually knows how to make money...

General:

I have to disagree. The idea is to pave the way for foreign pilots to operate here. Just imagine the glee in the front office when this is allowed and someone from Chile, China, India, or where ever is allowed to do our jobs for half our costs. A 767 captain for 80/hr.
This is not good. Think beyond the short term.

RP 04: The primary reason foreign airlines have made money recently is because they are not straddled with our tax burden. Have they really been run any better? I highly doubt it. Same problems occur anywhere you go, they have a cost advantage because of the lower tax burden

QUOTE: "Just see on on Fox News that the Bush Administration is trying to approve forgein ownership up to and including majority ownership.....all I have to say about that is very simply.... time for a new administration (it is the icing on the cake) IMHO what a poor president with no thought for long term goals and outcomes, he has a proven record of failure, congats Mr. Bush you have lost all of my support as well as the republican party (which is what I have been all my life)"

Yep, I have no regrets having voted for the Constitution Party candidate last year.

mach none said:
General:

I have to disagree. The idea is to pave the way for foreign pilots to operate here. Just imagine the glee in the front office when this is allowed and someone from Chile, China, India, or where ever is allowed to do our jobs for half our costs. A 767 captain for 80/hr.
This is not good. Think beyond the short term.

RP 04: The primary reason foreign airlines have made money recently is because they are not straddled with our tax burden. Have they really been run any better? I highly doubt it. Same problems occur anywhere you go, they have a cost advantage because of the lower tax burden

Mach,

I disagree with you. There is a lack of foreign pilots out there because there are other places in the world that are expanding five times faster than the US. Try India(unbelievable number of new entrants). Then the Middle East (Emirites, Qatar, Gulf Air, Etihad). How about China, or Tiawan? Korea. Even Europe is EXPLODING. We also have tighter rules about getting green cards or working visas here, since 9-11. I think you are wrong. And, no foreign company can own more than 25% now, and even 49% is stretching it---and they even tagged on the 25% voting rights deal. Also, the US needs all of the airlines available if we go to War (Iran could be next), and if a Saudi Sheik owned Delta, he may not want to allow that. Nah, aint gonna happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I respectfully disagree. Foreign nationals would flood in here to work for a piece of the American dream. Immigration, both legal and illegal is at an all time high. If you were your CEO and you could hire some of these people for half of what you are making...you would.

I also hope for your well being that you are correct, because your company is closer to the auction block than mine. None of us are safe though. The race to the bottom would accelerate. Now the wage and benefit comparisons would be on a world wide basis.

Latest resources

Back