• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Forget Flying, Drive a Truck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A good friend of mine paid $500 to get a class D drivers license and now drives a dump truck building highways.
$18/hr to start. 40 hrs a week. Home every night.
And plenty of overtime at time and a half if he wants it. Do the math...Doesn't make a lot of sense to spend anywhere from 30-100k on flying.
Airline management needs to wake up cause the shortages are right around the corner.

If you actually think that's better than being a pilot, why don't you do all of us a favor and go do it.

I once had the pleasure of sitting in the jumpseat of a 747 piloted by a retiring United captain on his last flight. When I got up to the cockpit there were a couple other United pilots saying goodbye. All three of them were talking about driving short haul semi trucks after they retired.

History channel has one of those mini marathons on....2 words: Ice Road Truckers. Ok, well three words. From the 1/2 hour I have watched, it looks like they can make some good coin for a few weeks of work. AND you get to be on the TV!!! Wow! Might be kinda lucrative...

Is the experience of the guy cited in the article the norm at regionals? 9 days at home just doesn't seem worth it. It's part-time work compensation if you normalize it.

Time value of money is also at play. It takes just way too long to establish a good salary and then you're back at square one, all while being gone from home. I agree, using the truck driving job as a parallel is not a useful comparison, but I think people need to start recognizing that being a commercial pilot nowadays is a de facto part-time job. That is to say, the trust fund babies and corporate career changers have priced out professional pilot's out of the market, you cannot compete with the artificial subsidy that is required to make a living wage at the regionals. The article is right, it's too easy for people to get the licenses (fair enough) but the industry is not able to properly discern between those who artificially buy into the market and those with the proper judgement skills and experience. Maybe it'd be better for everybody if they started offering legitimate part-time pilot positions, at least those without the trustfund would be able to make due at the end of the month. Sad state of affairs indeed.

History channel has one of those mini marathons on....2 words: Ice Road Truckers. Ok, well three words. From the 1/2 hour I have watched, it looks like they can make some good coin for a few weeks of work. AND you get to be on the TV!!! Wow! Might be kinda lucrative...

Are you nuts? Most of those guys have lost of experience and years driving trucks before they drive the ice roads. Plus, driving a truck in -20 temps or below doesn't sound fun to me when it breaks down... Or you get stuck... Or the ice cracks and doesn't carry it's weight... They commute a long way to drive the roads and aren't home for quite a while during the ice road season. You can go try, but I feel safer in a plane. The grass just looks greener on the other side, and money doesn't trump everything.

You want to have a real laugh, compare the rest and duty time requirements for a commercial driver vs. a commercial pilot.....absolutely no comparison.

Truck drivers HAVE to keep a current log of their duty and rest, it is a JAILABLE offense to not have enough rest. Trucking companies don't mess with this requirement, and if they did the local State Patrol is their to remind them bluntly (used to do this myself).

Imagine your Crew Scheduling being subject to JAIL TIME for pushing a crew to fly beyond FAR duty time limits.

Truckers have done a M-U-C-H better job of protecting their industry than airline pilots.

Latest resources

Back