For you ALPA bashers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

We (Hawaiian) recently signed our latest contract with substantial improvements. We never could have done it without ALPA. The help we got from them is far to numerous to list here. But plane and simple, we could not have done it on our own. In addition, the fact that Alaska recently made gains ahead of us and then their leadership was very forthcoming in helping us was quite beneficial. Our companies may compete, but beyound that we are all pilots with the same goals. Again, thanks to ALPA. (and thanks AK).
Also important to note, Hawaiian is doing well now. This has not always been the case. Over the years we have gone through 2 bankruptcies, had to many owners and management teams to remember. In fact, we began the de-regulation era competing with an airline that was started by ex Hawaiian execs, who got their money from Hawaiian and started up a non union airline charging $9.95 inter-island with the intent of putting us out of business. I could go on and on with the challenges made to Hawaiian and our contract. But the bottom line is, even in the tough times, we managed to hang on to a lot of what was important to us, including retirement, through some very lean years and shady management practices. Without ALPA, no way around it, we would be way worse off and a few execs probably would be way better off.

ALPA is not perfect, it's just a vehicle for pilots to try to do what is best for many as opposed to individuals trying to help themselves.

opps, I just reread my post and I made a glaring omision, not only did we benefit from Alaska, our ALPA brothers at Delta were a major help. Mahalo!

You are Welcome and congrats....

I wish we could have kept our pension.....but crying over spilled milk isn't worth the time.

"...not only did we benefit from Alaska, our ALPA brothers at Delta were a major help."

Well, let's not forget your ALPA brothers at ATA and Aloha, without the failures of which... HAL would not have had such a banner few years and subsequently been in the position to afford you the gains that you have made.

No bitterness here, glad to see you guys are doing well...But let's not forget the fallen.

YKMKR

We (Hawaiian) recently signed our latest contract with substantial improvements. We never could have done it without ALPA. The help we got from them is far to numerous to list here. But plane and simple, we could not have done it on our own. In addition, the fact that Alaska recently made gains ahead of us and then their leadership was very forthcoming in helping us was quite beneficial. Our companies may compete, but beyound that we are all pilots with the same goals. Again, thanks to ALPA. (and thanks AK).
Also important to note, Hawaiian is doing well now. This has not always been the case. Over the years we have gone through 2 bankruptcies, had to many owners and management teams to remember. In fact, we began the de-regulation era competing with an airline that was started by ex Hawaiian execs, who got their money from Hawaiian and started up a non union airline charging $9.95 inter-island with the intent of putting us out of business. I could go on and on with the challenges made to Hawaiian and our contract. But the bottom line is, even in the tough times, we managed to hang on to a lot of what was important to us, including retirement, through some very lean years and shady management practices. Without ALPA, no way around it, we would be way worse off and a few execs probably would be way better off.

ALPA is not perfect, it's just a vehicle for pilots to try to do what is best for many as opposed to individuals trying to help themselves.

I bet ALPA or our "MEC" didn't bother to tell you that those "gains" at Alaska Airlines were on the backs of the 106 of us that are furloughed that they threw under the bus by not seeing our furlough grievance through to the end. Also, how much did the Kasher award take away versus how much you got back with last year's contract? Still a pretty big net loss if I'm not mistaken. And ALPA is proud of that?!?! That's why management treats us the way they do. They know pilot unions are full of pu$$ies who won't do what's necessary to fight and get back what was lost. Regardless of the fact the the company made a 88 million profit last year. Hell,I'd rather be a NY transit worker, at least their union will fight......

I still haven't forgotten this, even though most of you have.....

Last edited:
United Airlines Pilots Awarded $44 Million in Retirement Class Action

Chicago, IL: Airline pilots for United Airlines have won a $44 million settlement, ending their three-year lawsuit against the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) International.

The lawsuit was brought by a group of senior pilots who objected to the way in which the ALPA handled the split up of retirement payments under United Airline's recent bankruptcy organization. The lawsuit related specifically to the allocation of pension and retirement benefits to junior pilots at the expense of senior pilots, who had accrued considerable benefits resulting from more years of service and higher salaries.

Approximately 2,200 pilots are represented in the class action, and after legal fees are deducted from the settlement, the total sum split between them will be $28 million.

JAN-29-10: United pilots win $44 million union retirement suit [CHICAGO TRIBUNE: BUSINESS]

Where are your dues going?

United Airlines Pilots Awarded $44 Million in Retirement Class Action

Chicago, IL: Airline pilots for United Airlines have won a $44 million settlement, ending their three-year lawsuit against the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) International.

The lawsuit was brought by a group of senior pilots who objected to the way in which the ALPA handled the split up of retirement payments under United Airline's recent bankruptcy organization. The lawsuit related specifically to the allocation of pension and retirement benefits to junior pilots at the expense of senior pilots, who had accrued considerable benefits resulting from more years of service and higher salaries.

Approximately 2,200 pilots are represented in the class action, and after legal fees are deducted from the settlement, the total sum split between them will be $28 million.

JAN-29-10: United pilots win $44 million union retirement suit [CHICAGO TRIBUNE: BUSINESS]

Where are your dues going?

Just keep voting no Blue and see what that gets you.....

Sure you can laugh and let ALPA plow the way for better rules since you work the FARs. No Contract=no protection. Maybe a Republic style merger is in your future Hero!!

I'm sure the senators and goverment agencies take a Jetblue pilots input to the bank when issues like Fight-time duty time come up or low-time pilot issues...

If jerkhole postings were a contest, you'd win hands down!!:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back