For UAL pilots - Scope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HHH

What's the consensus at United regarding scope? Are most pilots hoping and expecting to "fix" scope? Every CAL pilot I've spoken to view scope as NOT FOR SALE - an issue we're willing to "go the distance" for. Is the feeling the same at UAL?

Note: I would expect the sentiment at United to be even more determined. Regardless, IMHO this merger, SLI, etc. will all hinge on scope relief. We control what we will ratify in a JCBA. We have very little control over SLI. A strong, United (pun intended) pilot group can certainly "put the genie back in the bottle". That will make everything else down the line, especially SLI, a lot more palatable.

How many furloughed over there? and over at UAL? And why? ok - you have your answer.

All of your pilots could get paid 500 bucks an hour but if your jobs can be outsourced than your payrates and contract are worthless!

Ask the Midwest guys how not having scope protection worked for every single Midwest pilot from number 1 on down!!!

Last edited:
I think that most fervently hope that scope can be taken back to no larger than 50 seats. Personally, I think that is unrealistic in the execution. However, I do believe that it would be possible to STOP increases in 50+ airframes within the system beyond what is currently allowed.

Hopefully reasonable minds will prevail.

rr

Or they could limit anymore growth and agree not to renew their contracts when they do expire...

It was one individual that took it upon himself, with out presenting the facts to the pilot group at UAL to sign off on the 70 seaters. He did so thinking he was going to save the pensions. Worked out well didn't it!!!!

You would think that these contracts with these 70 seat operators have language in them that allows this flying as long as there isn't a change in the Pilots' CBA prohibiting them. Therefore, if a new JCBA comes out that prohibits RJ's greater than 50 seats, then I would think that these agreements could be terminated on the 70 seat contracts. If UAL/CAL wants this Merger badly enough, then they WILL give in on 70 seat flying to get both Pilot groups onboard.

United and CAL are two of the biggest RJ w************************* out there. It's nice to see a few of their pilots talking about taking it back.

It would be good for the industry.

Gup

Latest resources

Back