• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

for the XJ guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's with all the fashion advice? The kind of pilot that has to be told how to maintain a professional appearance (both in dress and attitude) over a message board has no business there to begin with.

-Brett

What about zipper ties??? I wear one of those... oh, and I've never worn my hat, I am a horrible person and a disgrace to the company.... nevermind the CAs (8+ years at XJ) in my class that sincerely told us (newhires at the time) to not worry about wearing the hat.

That's what you get for listening to "Junior" guys
Guys this job is about as easy as it gets. If you need guidance about uniforms etc........it's probably in the FOM. If you heard something else, it's their opinion. Stop by Joe's office I'm sure he could give you some fashion advice.

That's what you get for listening to "Junior" guys
Guys this job is about as easy as it gets. If you need guidance about uniforms etc........it's probably in the FOM. If you heard something else, it's their opinion. Stop by Joe's office I'm sure he could give you some fashion advice.

Forget fashion advice from Joe... I want to know how I too can get a boat named "The Extra Tenth". :pimp:

You'll be joining a great group of pilots. And this is coming from a former 9E'r. The XJ DTW guys welcomed me with open arms as the only 9E guy attending during one of their 2002 picketing events and I've been great friends with a lot of their pilots ever since. Good luck!

Hey! There is enough people around here trying to tell me what to do. If I want to listen to music or a ball game believe me after 30 years here that's what I'm going to do. You remind me of the manager that told the FA's not to eat ice cream cones. Get a life.

I remember that ice cream cone thing...was that really true? Seems like something that'd come from a powertool NW manager who got laughed at in the shower after gym class all through high school and now has a bit of authority!

I am chief of a 135 company right now and I can tell you that pilots are like 1st graders. If you make a rule and don't enforce it they will walk all over that rule. Enforce it they will complain a little and a few days or weeks later the problem will be over. If they don't stop complaining then maybe the rule is unreasonable, change it.

If XJ was serious about this rule they would enforce it. If the FAA was serious about this rule they would enforce it.

By the way flap operator, there is a law on the books in MN that says all bathtubs have to have legs. Do you think that law is enforced?

I follow the rules, but how big of a deal is this thing anyway? Management doesn't enforce it because it's not important to them.

In theory you are correct...in reality, XJ has one (yes ONE) chief pilot for 1100 pilots scattered over 3 domiciles not to mention outstations...enforcing the hat thing is next to impossible and XJ's having problems keeping up with day-to-day things what with all the hiring and growth...so it's not the same as enforcing the rules at a small charter outfit or flight school...

In theory you are correct...in reality, XJ has one (yes ONE) chief pilot for 1100 pilots scattered over 3 domiciles not to mention outstations...enforcing the hat thing is next to impossible and XJ's having problems keeping up with day-to-day things what with all the hiring and growth...so it's not the same as enforcing the rules at a small charter outfit or flight school...
They didn't enforce it when they had 5 chief pilots...at least one in each domicile. Why would they start now. I have not seen a CP care about the hat since Jim R in DTW ala 2001. When NW went optional the fight was conceded. Maybe soon we can worry about hats... and double breasted suits for that matter, but for now give it a rest.

I agree with those that "wear" fleeces, they are comfortable and work better than the overcoat. I also think the leather jacket is a better option. The leather jacket sparks an even more rediculous debate over what pilot should wear. I am of this opinion. The overcoat does not work, period. I have been to I Falls, Regina, Thunderbay etc and I loved the way the ocercoat blew around and did not keep me warm. But it does do okay in the rain. That said, the leather Jacket would work well in a cool spring day scenerio or a cold winter day (or even in the rain). I wish the fleece and leather jacket were options. But spongebob spanjers does not like them. Oh, and as for ipods, when you spart gettting me paid when I am walking around the airport, stretching my legs between flights or on ready reserve, then you can tell me I cannot listen to my ipod. For that matter, if you say the ipod is wrong, I call you a idiot because if you use your phone, you are doing the same thing. I wonder if this debate came up way back when the mobile phone was a new device? Oh I must add, some peoples defeinition of a professional pilot and his/her uniform is defined by the 1970's. I for one am not in any way thinking polyester pants and Jacket, white shirt and hat make me look cool. I am just looking for funtional and comfort.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back