Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For SWA poolies nearing a trip to Dallas.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yahtzee said:

Not that you need to think about this just yet, but SWA requires you to purchase three pairs of pants and the Navy blue jacket from Cintas. You can get your shirts from any vendor.
All good stuff, Y. I singled this out because of the pants thing. I believe we're now with M&H Uniform Supply.

Being a 6'3" dude who's a bit on the big-boned side, NONE of the pants that Cintas offered fit me for squat. If they fit my waist, they were too small in the thigh. If they fit the thigh, they were freakin' ginormous in the waist. I don't know about M&H's stuff. I imagine its much better.

Had I thought about it at the time, I would have simply found a buddy in class who was willing to pay me for the pants I was ordering and ordered them in his size and sent them to him. I'd have even gone $0.75 on the dollar and paid to ship them. That way I'm not out the almost $300 bones for three pairs of pants I'll never ever ever wear.

Men's Wearhouse has an exact match, too.

Having to buy the dinner jacket even though I was buying the leather didn't make much sense, either. But heck. If that's the worst thing that happens to me at this airline, I'm still in an awesome spot!!

Also...for various things that newhire classes do (throwing the party for the class following yours, R.McD house donations, Breakfast With Colleen costumes/props, and other miscellaneous things), set aside between $350 and $500 in cash. I was pretty conservative with what I did and bought, and I ended up hitting about $400 in extras.

Good luck to all the new-guys! Welcome aboard! And above-all, thanks for padding the list below me!! ;)

Last edited:
After checking out the various sites offering SWA supplementary study materials I am not 100% convinced if they are worthwhile. Has anyone who is currently in school at SWA or who has recently completed training have any thoughts on the "SWA Cockpit Companion" and the "FMS Users guide" available through the internet at Leading Edge Library. Also how about the Flashcards and Profiles available at Pass737.com

Thanks for your thoughts;

Helmsmen

I bought the flashcards and gave them to a classmate who needed them more than I did. I also bought the cockpit companion (737) generic. I recommend it. (get the swa specific) It is good for study at training and for PC's PT's as a review. The SWALIFE website also has training review subjects once you get your employee number. The FMS users guide that training issues will be enough to get you through your PC. You can learn the PHD stuff later.

I am in class now and have the PASS flip cards. I like them as they are easy to carry around and you can sit at the pool or anywhere else and run through them easily. The cockpit companion will be availablefor sale at the training center for less than you can get it on line.

I am still working out the headset thing and will eventually replace my 14" Luggage works bag as it will not fit with out getting torn up. Any ol kit bag will work for you and they say 18 to 24 months until we see electronic kit bags.

I'll second the recommendation on the SWA 737 Cockpit companion. Through my own indecision I've looked at both the generic version and the SWA version of the Cockpit Companion in quite a bit of detail, and my vote is for the SWA version. It's a great study material, organized in quick, easy-to-understand pilot English, unlike the Boeing systems manual that SWA reprints with their name on it and gives you. The Boeing manual has text organized in paragraphs, whereas the Cockpit Companion is organized in an easier to study outline form.

It's especially useful if you've never flown the airplane before, and brief (but specific) enough to be good recurrent training prep.

As for the electronic flight bag, SWA was "18 months away" from getting it when I was in training 8 months ago, and I hear we have been "18 months away" from getting it for several years, if you know what I mean...

Most importantly, have fun in class!!!:beer:

Latest resources

Back