Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For SWA poolies nearing a trip to Dallas.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Yahtzee

Season Ticket Holder
For SWA poolies

First of all, congratulations! I know many of you are very busy, but I was thinking is there anything I can do to make a poolies transition to SWA any easier. You probably know about the first few days of SWA training but here's some things you might not have considered.

If you get a chance, look at the SW flows prior to showing up if you can. The PTT (Part Task Trainer) will be packed starting in January with classes just two weeks apart.

My biggest piece of advice: Think long and hard before selling your house and moving unless you have a fool proof plan of where you are moving!

In case your wondering why I rambing about selling a house and moving, here's the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life. Just before SW called me for an interview, I had moved into a new home in a non-SWA city. Before going to Dallas, I got the "bright idea" to sell my house and move to a SWA city sometime after training. I listed my house about week 3 of training. My house sold in less than 24 hours of being listed and I had to move out days after my IOE. I have been homeless since mid August. :( Moving back to my old neighborhood isn't an option as the prices literally skyrocketed after I closed on my house the first time. Yeah, I made a profit on the sell, but it can't offset the rise in prices in the area. Staying put would have been a much better option, and sometimes "doing nothing" makes a lot of sense. ;)

IMOH don't complicate your life and add more stress (like becoming homeless) right after training. Another guy in my class tried to top my "stupid human trick". He was trying to get his family back to a SWA city where he and his family had lived just four years earlier. He and his family moved from the west coast to the east coast, before realizing it was too late in the year to find a house and get his kids in school before classes start. After a few months of trying to find an affordable house he ended up dragging his family back to the west coast to get his kids in school before the first bell rang. In both cases we thought we were making our lives better by trying to move near a pilot base. In the end we only made things more stressful and complicated than they needed to be. Please don't follow our examples of moving without a plan of moving in. Moving isn't a bad idea and I'm not telling you not to move. Just think about the timing of your move and possible ramifications if you don't get settled into a new place quickly.

On a more positive note here are some links and things you might want to consider either before you get to Dallas or soon after starting class.

1)
www.fmcguide.com/books.html#fug

Look for the 737SW COCKPIT COMPANION (300-500-700 Southwest version) Great book to summarize systems. Easier to read than the Flight Reference Manauls (FRMs) Caveat: the company issued FRMs take precedence over this book.

2)
www.scottleather.com/ For leather Pubs Bags

3)
www.luggageworksonline.com/ For Overnight Bags

Lots of options here as pilots use a lot of different bags from various companies...the ones from Luggageworksonline.com are popular but very heavy compared to some of the other ones. DON'T FEEL COMPELLED TO BUY THIS STUFF BEFORE YOU GET TO DALLAS as a marketing rep from various companies will come to the Training Center every week. You'll get a chance to look at bags from Scott's Leather, Luggageworksonline, etc in the break room. You’ll have plenty of time to order overnight bags if you don’t already have a good one when you get to Dallas. IMHO having the pubs bag is nice starting on day one. They give you a lot of stuff early and you will be moving from one classroom to another every few days or so.

For the overnight bags, the 103NG Model Bag is 14" wide but the company can make a version without the side pockets which tend to snag on 300/500s. I have the 14" version w/ the side pockets but I leave the sides empty and the bag fits ok in a 300/500. I have to grab the bottom of it after reaching over the small jumpseat behind the Capt’s Side to pull it into the storage area. (Easily done, but I plan to get the pockets remove and use a loaner bag from my brother in the meantime.)

The 102 NG version is only 13" and fits nicer in the 300/500s, but several of my friends mention the zippers have broken on their bags. Unlike the 14" version, the zippers are on the edge of the bag, which tend to take some damage. These bags fit in 300/500 without any extra effort.

The Costco bag is another great bag with a lifetime warranty for $89. Tumi makes a bag with lifetime warranty but is more expensive.

4) http://landerwoodshirts.com/
The style #700 are tapered) These shirts run slightly large in my opinion...i.e., order your true size or even consider ordering a 1/2 size smaller

5) www.pilotshirts.com/ (Tapered Oxford Flap Short sleeve Style Code: TOFS) These shirts seem to run smaller therefore order a 1/2 size bigger (They even mention this on their website....see FAQs)

6)
www.marvgolden.com Various Pilot Supplies

7)
www.crewoutfitters.com Various Pilot Supplies

Not that you need to think about this just yet, but SWA requires you to purchase three pairs of pants and the Navy blue jacket from Cintas. You can get your shirts from any vendor. You'll need shirts prior to starting your IOE. The shirts can't have button down collars, or holes (for wings I assume). You can buy ties from the Training Center and at the crew bases (even the Dallas pilot base). The Flight Operations Manual specifies the kind of shoes that are allowed. Pretty much anything black within reason works. You see Ropers, captoes, etc. I recommend something comfortable which are "airport friendly"...ones that you don't have to take off for the TSA. www.zappos.com

Headsets vs the molded earpiece: I have both, the earpiece feels like something that doesn't belong in my ear. Tried it for about a month. Just didn't like it so I ordered a noise canceling Sennheiser HMEC 45-KAS (Stereo). This works much better for me.

Hope my rambling helps in some small way.

Congrats again to those waiting to start. And to those who didn't get picked up, please consider reapplying. There is no doubt SWA has turned downed some outstanding people and picked them up on their second, third and even fourth attempt.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yahtz

P.S. Here are the pilot base links if you've never seem them.

www.bwipilotbase.com
www.dalpilotbase.com
www.houpilotbase.com
www.mcopilotbase.com
www.mdwpilotbase.com
www.oakpilotbase.com
www.phxpilotbase.com

Last edited:
Thanks Yahtz! Great information. I am expecting a 31 Jan class. Starting to figure out what to do to be ready. Can't wait to get there. I retire from the AF next month.

For those getting ready to come to Dallas. Flows, Limitations, Memory Items, Profiles, and spend time with the wife and kids before you come. Once you get here you'll be busy and won't have much time for them. I'd suggest taking the wife out to dinner every weekend or chance you get. (ToneToad)

After you've been on the line for a while you'll get into a routine and life will get back to normal.

Remember ... Flows, Limitations, Memory Items, Profiles.

DON"T DO BONEHEAD MOVES LIKE THESE GUYS! Stay put until you know what your doing and where you'll be.

RJ

Yahtzee:

That's some EXCELLENT information. Thanks for taking the time to write all this stuff down...I'm sure it took you awhile to do, and I really appreciate it!

RJones said:
Remember ... Flows, Limitations, Memory Items, Profiles.

RJ
I found the limitations and memory items on the base websites, but where can I find the flows and profiles?

My friend had a CD sent prior to class...it had all the important info on it -- not sure other than the CD where you can get the Flows and Profiles.

Knowing the Limitations and Memory items are really huge prior to class, however, I wouldn't kill myself to be that ready. You'll be paired-up with a sim partner and you MUST study together and you'll be amazed how quick this stuff comes together.

Meca has a cockpit trainer that you can practice the flows on and I'd suggest you get your sim partner to work with you or go with a bunch of guys and work the flows. It's amazing how having a group of guys to work flows with clears-up the ambiguity you may have about a particular subject.

Profiles ... CHAIR FLY!!! Sit in a chair and close your eyes and fly the profile all the time talking out loud about what your doing. When you get in the sim you'll be amazed how much you know.

RJ

RJones said:
Profiles ... CHAIR FLY!!! Sit in a chair and close your eyes and...you'll be amazed how much you know.

RJ
When I sit in a chair and close my eyes, I'm usually amazed at how 2 hours went by without my noticing it!

I'll wait for the CD. Thanks for the reply.

Juvat,

Like RJones wrote, SW will send you a CD and package with the flows about two weeks from your class date. I too found studying the flows with two or three other people was very helpful and like RJones wrote, cleared up ambiguity.

You can also get an FO package (Flashcards, Illustrated Flows and Profiles) from John Pansmith, a SWA Captain (see link below) for about $75. Some people think his flows and profiles are a little pricey. Most of the guys in my class bought the PASS cards, and about 5 bought the flows/profile.

http://www.pass737.com/pages/1/index.htm

If you know any SW pilots who recently went to training, maybe they have copy of the flows to give you before you start. I photocopied mine and gave it to the poolies in my reserve unit. If you can't get a copy, send me a PM, I can get you in touch with someone who has a clean copy.

Yes it took a little time to write the message down, but I hope my random thoughts might help the new poolies just a little. The reason I mentioned looking at the flows early is simply the shear number of people who will be in the training center. It was busy when I was there this summer. If classes are held every two weeks starting in Jan, the PTT and the wooden trainers will be maxed out with people. FO classes are only half the equation...Capt classes will be going on in addition to the FO classes and the new Captains practice on the wooden trainers and PTT just like the FOs.

Yahtz

Last edited:
Congrats to those also, a simple reminder...

Probably the folks this applies to aren't on this board and to those folks who aren't so inclined (the 99% group) this will be the classic example of cleaning out the gene pool theory is a good thing....

This past year there have been only a few folks who have been eliminated from SWA during new hire training. It is a fair, moderately intense (not as intense as your type training I would say) & reasonably paced program....however, it requires a level of effort on one's part that for again the 99% understand fully. Lets face it, you've worked hard to get to SWA & who would want to screw it up.

Well believe it or not a few do. Without going into details if persons come into this program & relax too much, expect to be able to live at the bar at night, treat others poorly, well no one gets a pass for that. We've eliminated folks like that & will continue to do so. Again it is like preaching to the choir but if there is someone in your class that may appear to be taking the program less than seriously let him know in no uncertain terms the folks at the training center will judge accordingly. Folks who screw up due to training, skill, being an A-10 guy or whatever will work with you until the wee hours of the morning but if the individual believes one can't be eliminated except for really being a bonehead...the bar is slightly higher than that.

The case I know of was someone who should have known better & had come in highly regarded....some slip through but as often is the case their true colors come through & was weeded out. I didn't know what to expect when I got there but Yahtze's advice is spot on....you'll have a great time and will find a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of the training program I believe. They are class folks there & do a great job....they are going to be very busy very soon!!

Latest resources

Back