• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For Shima: I miss you already

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any ideas on happened? NTSB says collision with water for undetermined reasons? Wierd for a experienced pilot.

Although the name may not be Shima, I to still bleed from the loss of my best friend one year ago this coming September 12th. I find myself watching the calendar being ever cognizant that the day is approaching and it seams like twenty-five years sense we last spoke. Will I ever be healed?, I think not.
My friend Blake was like one of my own children. He was the same age as my oldest son. Blake lost his life flying a turbine airtractor doing we love most in life. His memory lives but my days are empty without Him.

MAR,

I knew the anniversary was comming up, but didn't realize it was upon us.

Nami and her father came back to town this last month and there was a salvage barge in the vaciniy of the crash site. But the currents are pretty strong in the Peard Bay area, also the underwater visibilty is pretty poor.

Mar,

The only anniversary of the death of someone close I have is my mothers and she killed herself when I was 6 years old.....so I don't know how you feel. However, let me say that reading your posts over the last couple of years I have come to have great respect for you as a person and as a pilot and to me that says a lot about Shima. God bless.

Some thoughts

Rumpletumbler--Thanks for your kind words. I hope you have found some consolation too.

OtterFO--I knew that Shima's family would come back for the anniversary. I met her father and sister at her memorial in ANC last year. I also knew of the further plans to locate the wreckage. I only wish them the best and I'm sorry I couldn't be there this year.

It just weighs on me still.

I did finally develop those picture from our flight together. I'm proud to say that the station in BRW had one enlarged and framed and it's hanging behind the counter.

I kept a couple posted on my locker at work.

Rally--No one will know for sure what happened. I think it's reasonable to assume she was spotting whales. But I personally don't think that tells the whole story because when I flew with her and she showed me the whales she was very cognizant not to fly too low. Her concern was for the locals in the plane who hunted whales and considered "buzzing" to be harassment.

She was very conscientious and very methodical. It's still a complete mystery to me. And I suppose that's why it hangs in the back of my head.

Anyway, I just didn't want to let the day pass unnoticed.

flx757--Thank you again.
Right Pedal--I hope you also find some solace.

Still a very touching thread one year later.

Many of us probably know someone who has lost their life in an aircraft accident. Those who don't will. This sorrow, like the beauty we see each day in the skies and the pride we feel in doing our job well binds us together, whether it be in person or in this virtual home.

We rant about each other's pay, politics, work rules, and anything else we can think of, but at the end of the day we know we are all in this together and we know that there always have been, and always will be those of us who don't make it home.

You guys and gals be careful tomorrow.

Mar, it may be little comfort to you, but in this business the chances are you will lose some one close to you. I have lost 4 friends in aircraft accidents. I like to remember the times we flew to gether, fought over who was less tired to make the last landing of a long series of trips, sitting at their dinner table, laughing with their family, makeing them part of our family. And I do miss them. I like to think as long as you remember, they are still with you.

It's not easy, but hang in there.

JAFI

Ernest Gann best described it as " Fate is the hunter "

I have been in this business now for over fifty one years and never get used to a loss of a fellow pilot, and there have been far far to many.

We sometimes lose sight of the important things such as caring for others until it is to late.

Duke Ellagant is one of my best friends and I am sure most of you read his stories and will relate to how he is sharing his life with us even as he faces the end of his .

If only I have the courage that the Duke has when my time comes it will be because of his example.

We never know when fate will decide our time here, it is something to think about.

Cat Driver

Latest resources

Back