For Shima: I miss you already

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry to hear this, Mar...

I was hoping that you would stick your head in here and make a post once in a while, but not under these circumstances.

It seems several of us have lost friends recently while they were flying. Let's agree to live well, and to be dilligent while we live.

Don't be a stranger.

The so-called virtual community

First, I'd like to say thanks to everyone. And even though I was the one that started the thread and even though all of the responses were addressed to me I still feel like this is for Shima.

What's more, I think she'd really be uncomfortable with all of the attention and the compliments but I also think she deserves every single one of them.

As for myself, the very first thing I did last night after I got the phone call was come here and make the post. Even though I had essentially stopped posting I felt like I needed to express myself to others from similiar backgrounds. I needed a quick, virtual community.

I really appreciated the emails and phone calls.

And it made me realize how much I miss the camaraderie and rapport of fellow aviators. Sorry if I seem so introspective right now.

I just want to tell Slickmagneto that his apology is accepted and I can understand how he may have gotten the wrong impression from my post.

I just felt as if, at that moment, the world and everyone in it paused and turned towards Barrow, Alaska and who could not realize that fate exacted its toll on a gentle woman with a sweet sense of humor.

Peace

mar,

I offer you Shima and everyone affected by this tragic loss, my heart felt condolences.

Peace for all.

According to the FAA accident prelims, she was flying an F406 Caravan II.

For more information, including pictures of F406's and performance specifications, use this link to an aircraft dealers website.

http://www.bobcroweaircraft.com/reims1.htm

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 6591L Make/Model: F406 Description: F406 Caravan 2
Date: 08/17/2003 Time:

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED EN ROUTE INTO PEARL BAY UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, TWO
PERSONS ON BOARD ARE ASSUMED FATAL, 30 SSE BARROW, AK

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: Y
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: BRW METAR 171952Z 060010KT 10SM OVC020 03/01 A2977

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Unknown Operation: Air Taxi (On Demand)

Departed: BARROW, AK Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: WAINWRIGHT, AK Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: UNK
Last Clearance: UNK

FAA FSDO: FAIRBANKS, AK (AL01) Entry date: 08/18/2003

Condolences to all who know her.

Did she ever work for Horizon Air? I ask cuz I used to know a Japanese female pilot there but can't recall her name....it's been many years since.

She flew for Alaska Central Express, for a year and her existing company. She had plans on flying for JAL.

I had the opportunity to know Shima while she was in school & flight instructing in Omaha. She was a great person to be around and a very sharp pilot. I have not seen her for quite awhile however, there is no doubt she will be greatly missed. My prayers go out to all her family and friends.

Shima I will miss you very much too and I now feel bad that I never got to talk to you again. I always thought I would send that email or call next week. Well now its to late and I never will be able to tell you what a great time I had flying with you. Trying to go to MSP or the four of us going to MCI in that POS 172. Or when we landed in the little airport in Iowa on my long crosscountry and found out that we had to pump the gas and you said you would do it because you were the instructor. Ah good times... From your worst student good bye my friend, may you be in peace

The Company is suggesting to all the stations to hold a memorial on Sept. 2nd. Check with the station near you for times and info.

One year later.

And I still miss her.

I still think of her.

For Shima.

Latest resources

Back