Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
I just received one of those phone calls that feels like a clamp on the head and a scythe through the gut.

I first met Shima when she moved to Bethel, Alaska to fly 135. She was awfully low time but smart, charming and persistent.

She eventually got a job flying 207s, then 1900s, then Caravans and C406s.

The last time I saw Shima was late July in Barrow. Her company turns our flights up there and we had to spend a week shuttling fuel oil. One night a whole group of us were able to have dinner together. Fresh caribou, salmon and halibut. We caught up on old times and talked about what's next in this maddening industry.

The next day I had some free time so I rode along on one of her flights. We flew southwest along the coast looking for whales and walrus. We found about 300 walrus sunning themselves on the ice about a mile off shore. There were whales too.

I took pictures of Shima, ever-humble and soft-spoken. She protested the whole time. I told her she could give the pictures to her mother who would be visiting from Japan soon.

After I got home, I forgot about the pictures. I never developed them--and it's tearing my heart apart that I'll never be able to show Shima what a beautiful, vibrant, hard-working and dedicated woman she was.

It's tearing my heart apart and I don't know what else to do or say except that I already miss her.

For Shima.
Peace.

slickmagneto,

There was an accident today, on the North Slope of Alaska, of which the causes are unclear. But the immediate result is very clear. Aviation lost a capable, competent and professional pilot. Some of us lost a great friend and trusted ally who made this bleak wilderness a little more colorful. Unfortunately we may never know what caused this accident, because the wreckage is in the Arctic Ocean.

mar,

As you can imagine, its been a really rough day up here. I’d sure like to hear from you..

Last edited:
Mar,

Definately a very sad day. I never met her, but I fly for the same company. I found out just before departure. From what I have heard, it is a tremendous loss. She will be greatly missed by all of her friends and coworkers.

mar,

Although it's been many years since I've been gone from the North Slope, one never really seems to "leave" that place.

Nothing I could say would be appropriate or adequate, so I'll just wish you the same thing that you wished Shima. Peace.

Also to Shima...

Mar, nobody can imagine what you're going through unless they've been there.

I have. I'm very sorry for you...and for all of those who cared for Shima.

Get those pictures developed. Her family will appreciate them...and so will you.

Now, Slickmagneto, people who've experienced a loss aren't the most eloquent posters. Why don't you go back and edit your response?

Last edited:
i can't speak for slick but i didn't realize that shima was deceased it isn't really specified in the original message....not until a later message when otto mentioned the accident did i realize the purpose/intent of mars original post, it is truly a sad day and i feel for mar, loss is a terrible thing.
but don't jump all over slick when he may not have understood the point of the message just like i had

Another sad note about this accident was the passenger. She had one passenger aboard, and it just happened to be her mother who was visiting from Japan.

Shima

I had the honor of spending my first couple of years in college with shima. I remember her english was pretty rusty when she first arrived but her desire to learn, positive attitude and her smile is what I remember right now. I knew her mostly as an a acquaintance and fellow student but right now I feel like I've lost a close friend. My condolences to those of you who worked and knew Shima.

supsup

For Mar and Shima

Mar, I sincerely apologize for my post. Iwas not aware of your loss. Please accept my deepest apology and condolences for Shima, her mother, friends and anyone who may have been touched by her presence.

Latest resources

Back