Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mkubwa

I'd like to run this idea up the flagpole:

Overhaul the US pilot licensing standards. Increase the difficulty of obtaining all classes of license to mirror or exceed the standards set by the EU countries for licensure.

Why?

Two equally important reasons. First, reduce the number of pilots in the labor pool thus making pilots a scarcer commodity. This will translate into higher salaries, better working conditions, and realistic career opportunities over time - for those who can cut the mustard.

And, first again, rigor is good. A higher bar will weed out those who can't demonstrate an academic or performance aptitude and will eliminate those who cannot hack the workload or want only to put forth enough effort to be an airborne taxi driver (look, cells in a petri dish can control an airplane in flight http://www.napa.ufl.edu/2004news/braindish.htm [what does this do to the perception of the profession?]. I'd rather know the guy sitting next to me has demonstrated the ability to function at a high level and whose capacities stretch beyond bagging groceries).

Oh, one more thing - any change to the licensing standards that would potentially reduce the size of the labor pool would necessarily require governmental restrictions on the hire of foreign citizens as pilots. I would propose that no foreign citizen be allowed to work as a commercial pilot in the United States unless he has been naturalized and has lived in the US for an uninterrupted period of 15 years.

I'll leave it at this for now to see the response.

Actually, I think the rules over in Europe are too strict... Honestly flying isn't that hard, so why make it tougher than it needs to be...

Unless of course you think the rules should be retroactive, and you would have to go back through the courses, take the tests, etc. as if you were a new pilot. :D

Or.....

Mkubwa said:
Two equally important reasons. First, reduce the number of pilots in the labor pool thus making pilots a scarcer commodity. This will translate into higher salaries, better working conditions, and realistic career opportunities over time - for those who can cut the mustard.

Or the increase in pilot demand will increase the costs where buisness will not be able to afford pilots. (or less money to maintain aircraft, resulting in poorer working conditions) Airline tickets will rise, resulting in even higher airfares, less pax for airliners, and therefore less demand for pilots.

Good for High time pilots, bad for low time pilots.

It would be intresting what an economist would say about this idea.

Careful what you ask for.

Mkubwa said:
Overhaul the US pilot licensing standards. Increase the difficulty of obtaining all classes of license to mirror or exceed the standards set by the EU countries for licensure.

I'd say you're ahead of your time. I predict it *will* become more difficult to be licensed through the avenue of General Aviation but not in the way you're proposing.

AOPA will kick and scream but ultimately the TSA will prevail and shut down General Aviation within, ah, let's say, 10 to 15 years.

There won't be any more Mom and Pop flight schools.
There won't be any more kids hanging out by the hangars.
And then all of these deserted airports will be bought up by real estate developers and replaced with strips malls and tract housing.

You read it here first.

Mkubwa said:
I'd like to run this idea up the flagpole:

Why?
Why don't we run a flagpole up your cranalsphincter?

The EU... there's a model standard for GA. Ever wonder why they all come over here to get their tickets? I'm with FN FAL... I know where you can put that flag pole.

Hey! how about this idea:
You don't like the pay.. working conditions?
Well, it's a free world. Do something else. Walk. That's what I did, and that option exists for everyone. I will always cherish my short time in the airline world, but I don't like being treated like sh!t.
We should be grateful that we live in a country with so many other ways to enjoy aviation and flying. Rather than wishing aviation was for the elite, I chose to focus on what I am willing to work for and what I am not willing to work for. People only treat you like you let them.

Is there the slightest evidence that Euro trained pilots are any safer than U.S. trained pilots?

I think not.

fr0g said:
Hey! how about this idea:
You don't like the pay.. working conditions?
Well, it's a free world. Do something else. Walk. We should be grateful that we live in a country with so many other ways to enjoy aviation and flying. Rather than wishing aviation was for the elite, I chose to focus on what I am willing to work for and what I am not willing to work for. People only treat you like you let them.

I agree 100%

I believe the whole intent of European rules and regulations are to seek revenge on the american way of aviation. For many years we have dominated the way things are done and now with the European Union they have decided to make our lives miserable. Why? Because they now can. With more people traveling and having the means to do so, They have chosen to dictate how and by what means. They are using capitalism to do it. Higher costs more rstrictions. We just need to turn the tables on them. Europeans coming here should have to pay the price.

Latest resources

Back