Food for a long haul flight

d328pilot

flying in asia
Total Time
What kinds of food do you bring to snack on for a long haul flight???

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
Bananas, cereal bars, corn, crab cakes, cabbage, refried beans, apples. And coffee with milk to wash it down. And a quart of apple juice.

It's great, I get the whole cockpit to myself. :D

Seriously, I like Clif Bars a lot.

Last edited:

gern_blanston

Airport Bum
Total Time
Apple Newtons. Can't explain it, but when I fly, I crave 'em.

navigator72

Total Time
1700+
Krispy Kremes, the messy ones that make you look all powdery and covered in glaze.

It was the Glaze from the Krispy Kreme I swear.....

typhoonpilot

Daddy
Total Time
17000+
d328pilot said:
What kinds of food do you bring to snack on for a long haul flight???
You mean you don't have First of Business class service and a company policy that the FAs must check on you every 30 minutes. :rolleyes: :D .

TP

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
banana's, granola bars, OJ, grapes, graham crackers, snack crackers, PB&J sandwiches, water.

I can't do the Krispy Kremes, I love them too much...and we can't bring enough. I can't eat just one either. My record in one sitting (I was still going strong but we ran out of donuts) was 22. That was just eating one after another after another, not sure what the total time on that was. Maybe they will have a KK eating contest...I may have a chance!

minitour

sunflower seeds, water and a few slim fast bars...but the already shelled sunflower seeds...the worst is trying to dump out a cup of sunflower seeds at 6,500' in a 152..........just don't do it.

-mini

garf12

Total Time
minitour said:
sunflower seeds, water and a few slim fast bars...but the already shelled sunflower seeds...the worst is trying to dump out a cup of sunflower seeds at 6,500' in a 152..........just don't do it.

-mini
A cup of dip spit can get pretty nasty also.

minitour

garf12 said:
A cup of dip spit can get pretty nasty also.
flew with a guy a few weeks ago...always has his "spit bottle"...so he pulled out a bottle and I assumed all was normal, opens it up....it smelled like he pulled mud or "punched a grumpy" or whatever....right then and there. He later tells me he has had that bottle in his flight case for a year.....nasty nasty stuff.

-mini

Dash8

alllll riiighht!!
Total Time
dunno
used to make my own trail mix,

go to the bulk section of the local grocery store, load a bag up with nut mix (walnut, almond, macamadamia, cashew, brazils, pecans)
dried; banana, papaya, mango, coconut, dates (but no friggin raisins, hate raisins, which is why i was making mix instead of buying it prebagged, not to mention it was cheaper, raisins, feh!)
chocolate chips (white/regular/peanutbutter) or mm's

and one of those 'camel paks' half filled with ice, topped off with water

now, i carry a fair selection of lo-carb meal bars, handy and fairly price effective compared to airport food, granted not as tasty as my old mix bag of stuff, but it does the job

Last edited:

BRIGADEAVIATOR

Total Time
dadsf

I'm all about the caprisuns, and goldfish. (cause they're so delicious!!)

Dash8 said:
and one of those 'camel paks' half filled with ice, topped off with water
I really like that idea, we use those all the time in the desert, never thought about using for flying

BD King

Total Time
CA1900 said:
Bananas, cereal bars, corn, crab cakes, cabbage, refried beans, apples. And coffee with milk to wash it down. And a quart of apple juice.

It's great, I get the whole cockpit to myself. :D

Seriously, I like Clif Bars a lot.[/QUOTE

Ya beat me to the punch. I would add White Castles to the list.

www.bdkingpress.com

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
A sack full of Whoppers (the burgers, not the malt ball candies). One for each hour of flight.

Dr Pokenhiemer

Total Time
9000+
I find that a bag of Funions really stinks up the cockpit if you really want to tick someone off.

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
Dr Pokenhiemer said:
I find that a bag of Funions really stinks up the cockpit if you really want to tick someone off.
I believe the question was what kind of FOOD do you bring. Funyuns (spelled correctly, by the way) do not qualify as food.;)

Dr Pokenhiemer

Total Time
9000+
I see you must be a larger consumer of the fake onion rings than I, because I couldn't remember how to spell it, but I remember how bad it smelled in the plane when I broke a bag out---about 10 years ago!!! Some things are just hard to forget.

FlyJordan

I fly Jet Blue
Total Time
niner+
I was not hungry till I read this thread, I take packs of peanut butter crackers and oatmeal cream pies and gatorade cause it dosent make me have to pee.