Follow the Money--USAir and America West

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ivauir said:
I know I'm too naive or simplistic to really understand all this fancy manegment talk. Heck until 6 short months ago I was just a caveman frozen in the ice. Now I've been thawed out and put in the right seat of a jet. I don't know much. I don't know this Chapter 11, or 7 or what FMC stands for, but I do know one thing: your word ought to be binding. These companies that promise something and then take it away should have been forced to liquidate before breaking that promise. I'd be hellasorry for the lose of jobs, but they shouldn't be able to rob the good folks who have provided for so long just to keep the doors open another 8 months.

But what do I know my knuckles drag when I try to walk errect.

Can you think of a single liquidation that generated enough cash to fund the outstanding retirement obligations? Maybe it has happened, I don't know. I doubt shutting USAir down and selling it off three years ago would have changed the outcome as far as the defined benefit plans there are concerned.

Hey General,
What's this with the "we" $hit

I don't see your name on the board of Delta, making decisions on what to do.
Just ramblings here on these threads.
Go back to flying your airplane, and don't be holier than thou and your USAir brothers.

Airbusnut1 said:
And General,

Was that you who taxied the 777 into the jetway in LGW yesterday.

Nice going Ace

He flies the 767 you nimrod.. Not a very professional post.

AAflyer

P.S.It is an A320, what the heck is an AB320, is that the new flight simulator you command in your basement.

I believe GL is a 757-200 FO.

Though he supports all the DALPA predatory practices against its junior pilots, I’ll bet even GL doesn’t support the idea of a ‘nuclear option’ to force mandatory liquidation of assets in a BK to fund the massive shortfalls in defined benefits plans.

That REALLY scr*ws the junior guys, as well as nearly everyone else who isn’t close to retirement.

Airbusnut1 said:
And General,

Was that you who taxied the 777 into the jetway in LGW yesterday.

Nice going Ace

Yeah, that was me. I am now a 777 Captain...... Yeah, ok ACE. Did you fly that airbus into the trees? Nice going RETARD. The AB-320? Is that the new designator? Air Berlin A320? They are getting some you know. Airbus---AB. Oh, ok. I fly the BO-757 and BO-767.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
DaveGriffin said:
I believe GL is a 757-200 FO.

Though he supports all the DALPA predatory practices against its junior pilots, I’ll bet even GL doesn’t support the idea of a ‘nuclear option’ to force mandatory liquidation of assets in a BK to fund the massive shortfalls in defined benefits plans.

That REALLY scr*ws the junior guys, as well as nearly everyone else who isn’t close to retirement.

Dave,

Did you ever really fly at DL? If you did, you would know that we on the 75/76 fly all types---the 757, 767-200, 767-300, 767-300ER (4 different overhead panels, 4 different airplanes)----not just the 757-200. You really worded that wrong. Hmmmm. Would I support the "nuclear option"? No way. Most of the guys left with at least half of their retirement, which is still better than none. As far as the junior guys-----we still have 1100 pilots that are over 50 and can leave and take the lump sum. After that we will have about 5900 pilots left. I say 5900 is the majority, and we can't leave with the lump sum. The Nuclear Option would be preferred, by the majority. Sad but true. There are also 40,000 other people who would like to keep their jobs too, by the way.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Dave,

Did you ever really fly at DL? If you did, you would know that we on the 75/76 fly all types---the 757, 767-200, 767-300, 767-300ER (4 different overhead panels, 4 different airplanes)----not just the 757-200. You really worded that wrong. Hmmmm. Would I support the "nuclear option"? No way. Most of the guys left with at least half of their retirement, which is still better than none. As far as the junior guys-----we still have 1100 pilots that are over 50 and can leave and take the lump sum. After that we will have about 5900 pilots left. I say 5900 is the majority, and we can't leave with the lump sum. The Nuclear Option would be preferred, by the majority. Sad but true. There are also 40,000 other people who would like to keep their jobs too, by the way.
Bye Bye--General Lee

So GL;
Which airplane do you spend the most time in each month?

DaveGriffin said:
So GL;
Which airplane do you spend the most time in each month?

Well Dave,

It depends on which turn I get or the type of trip. If I get STT (St Thomas) I fly the 757. If I get SJU (San Juan) I get the 767-300 or 767-200. If I get 3 or 4 day trips, it is all mixed up. When I did ANC nonstop from ATL last year I flew the 767-300. It changes.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Boeingman said:
Ivair is right on. These companies who are terminating their pensions should be mandated to fund their obligations by liquidating some of their assets to pay these retirement debts.

Ahh...the strength of our capitalist society. Praise the entrepeneur and fresh, vibrant companies. Out with the old, in with the new. In case you didn't catch the sarcasm, I wish people would stop hiding behind these seemingly positive catch phrases. If you want to keep the worker on edge, uptight and kill their livelihood, say so. Don't beat around the bush.

These are axioms best not forgotten...

Knowledge is power
Upward mobility also means downward mobility.
Globalization means jobs leaving a higher standard of living country.
Immigrants want your job.
The Smart (i.e. rich) use the law to their advantage.
There is no substitute for integrity.

And what are Business Ethics?? Are they different than what everyone else calls eithics?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back