• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Focus Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do a search on "Focus". There have been some threads on it. Go over to the pprune boards (pprune.org) and do the same thing.

Ok...I'll bite.

Well that was helpful...

Here's my thoughts...The question I had to ask myself was, "is it worth the risk and is this a job or a career?" Sure it would be "neat" to fly the 747's all over the world, the company...is said to have big investors, the people are really nice and that there is a fresh oppurtunity here with an upstart. Those are the positives. I'd rather not say too much about what I think, but let me say it's gonna be really tough on the Captains and doesn't seem like a great career move...

First Officer Pay (1st year / 2nd year / 3rd year):
B747: $59 / $67 / $74
------------------------------------------
Focus Air: 0/55/10. Hiring 10 in JUN, add'l 45 in '05, & 300 total thru '06. Flying int'l w/B747 Classics... Mins: Check CPTs: 5,000 TT, 2,500 PIC, & current/qualified w/in last 24 mos in B747 Classic. CPTs: 5,000 TT & 2,500 PIC in B747 Classic preferred. CPTs/FOs/PFEs: 3-4 yrs jet AC expr, extensive int'l expr preferred, 3 yrs Part 121/135 expr, Class I for CPTs/FOs, & Class II for PFEs/FEs.
(Boeing 747-300/-200) Doing proving runs presently. 4 aircraft on property.
----------------------------------------------------
The pay is in the range of $59/hr. (2nd year: $67 3rd year: $74) for the FO and $98/hr. (2nd year?: $127) for Capt. Not sure what the PFE's are making. The Medical plan effective after 90 days. There is a 60 hour/mo guarantee, and a 19 day work month.
-----------------------------------------
Embry-Riddle University - ERAU CAPT program. The students from that program pay for there training up too the commercial multi, just like those of us had to do that weren't in the military. I believe that they are then considered "interns" and work in the office as flight followers. Then after a set amount of time get trained as an engineer, then the right seat. Pay is mediocre for the equipment and there was no 401(k) when I visited with them. My understanding is that they will start in the office as dispatchers (gulp).
-------------------------------------------------------
Company laptops provided to F/O and F/E's; printers will be on board the aircraft too (yeah!). Training: $1000/mo + $36 per diem/day and paid hotel. $48/day

Captain Monkey Suit said:
Well that was helpful...

Here's my thoughts...The question I had to ask myself was, "is it worth the risk and is this a job or a career?" Sure it would be "neat" to fly the 747's all over the world, the company...is said to have big investors, the people are really nice and that there is a fresh oppurtunity here with an upstart. Those are the positives. I'd rather not say too much about what I think, but let me say it's gonna be really tough on the Captains and doesn't seem like a great career move...

First Officer Pay (1st year / 2nd year / 3rd year):
B747: $59 / $67 / $74
Focus Air: 0/55/10. Hiring 10 in JUN, add'l 45 in '05, & 300 total thru '06. Flying int'l w/B747 Classics... Mins: Check CPTs: 5,000 TT, 2,500 PIC, & current/qualified w/in last 24 mos in B747 Classic. CPTs: 5,000 TT & 2,500 PIC in B747 Classic preferred. CPTs/FOs/PFEs: 3-4 yrs jet AC expr, extensive int'l expr preferred, 3 yrs Part 121/135 expr, Class I for CPTs/FOs, & Class II for PFEs/FEs.
(Boeing 747-300/-200) Doing proving runs presently. 4 aircraft on property.
----------------------------------------------------
The pay is in the range of $59/hr. (2nd year: $67 3rd year: $74) for the FO and $98/hr. (2nd year?: $127) for Capt. Not sure what the PFE's are making. The Medical plan effective after 90 days. There is a 60 hour/mo guarantee, and a 19 day work month.
-----------------------------------------
Embry-Riddle University - ERAU CAPT program. The students from that program pay for there training up too the commercial multi, just like those of us had to do that weren't in the military. I believe that they are then considered "interns" and work in the office as flight followers. Then after a set amount of time get trained as an engineer, then the right seat. Pay is mediocre for the equipment and there was no 401(k) when I visited with them. My understanding is that they will start in the office as dispatchers (gulp).
-------------------------------------------------------
Company laptops provided to F/O and F/E's; printers will be on board the aircraft too (yeah!). Training: $1000/mo + $36 per diem/day and paid hotel. $48/day

Question, and this is strictly from a cost-benefit analysis thought and not a flame:

How much does it cost to go through ERAU, from start to finish including the CAPT program?

How much more will it cost to pay for training at Focus?

Final question: assuming Focus has longevity, how long will it take for someone to recover the total costs of training from first semester at ERAU straight through to graduation/CAPT Program/Focus training?

My guess is that a student will be extremely lucky to at least break-even if this route is pursued. I heard that the basic cost of going to ERAU is around $90,000.00.

I had on a nomex fire suit so I wasn't worried about getting flamed (grin). It's possible that the intern thing will never really develop as it costs too much; and maybe the school gets good publicity while Focus gets free "worker ants" until they get established...but that bothers me if true.

I wish those that are there at Focus Air Cargo good fortune and also to those considering the company.

Anyhow...those are the details that I hope helps.

Tradewinds had a bunch of guys jump ship and go to Focus.

Yup, that be true.

Rumor says some of them guys are ready to come back if they get their old numbers.

Focus seems to be on the roll however..What is the truth..?

CSY doesn't know good QOL!

$60k/yr. as a 747 Capt. and gone 20 days a month. What's not to like, CSY? ;) :rolleyes:

I've got a good friend who got on early. He's hanging on right now but it's not very comfortable. I'm guessing that even as a bitter, pi$$ed-off TWA guy, he'd go running for the right seat of an S80 in LGA. Just my opinion, though.

Take care.TC

Latest resources

Back