Focus Air

ATA For Now!

Total Time
Hello all,

If anyone has any info to share about Focus Air, I would greatly appreciate it!

PM me if you wish!

Thanks!

FearlessFreep

Total Time
??????
Do a search on "Focus". There have been some threads on it. Go over to the pprune boards (pprune.org) and do the same thing.

Captain Monkey Suit

Total Time
12:31
Ok...I'll bite.

Well that was helpful...

Here's my thoughts...The question I had to ask myself was, "is it worth the risk and is this a job or a career?" Sure it would be "neat" to fly the 747's all over the world, the company...is said to have big investors, the people are really nice and that there is a fresh oppurtunity here with an upstart. Those are the positives. I'd rather not say too much about what I think, but let me say it's gonna be really tough on the Captains and doesn't seem like a great career move...

First Officer Pay (1st year / 2nd year / 3rd year):
B747: $59 / $67 / $74
------------------------------------------
Focus Air: 0/55/10. Hiring 10 in JUN, add'l 45 in '05, & 300 total thru '06. Flying int'l w/B747 Classics... Mins: Check CPTs: 5,000 TT, 2,500 PIC, & current/qualified w/in last 24 mos in B747 Classic. CPTs: 5,000 TT & 2,500 PIC in B747 Classic preferred. CPTs/FOs/PFEs: 3-4 yrs jet AC expr, extensive int'l expr preferred, 3 yrs Part 121/135 expr, Class I for CPTs/FOs, & Class II for PFEs/FEs.
(Boeing 747-300/-200) Doing proving runs presently. 4 aircraft on property.
----------------------------------------------------
The pay is in the range of $59/hr. (2nd year: $67 3rd year: $74) for the FO and $98/hr. (2nd year?: $127) for Capt. Not sure what the PFE's are making. The Medical plan effective after 90 days. There is a 60 hour/mo guarantee, and a 19 day work month.
-----------------------------------------
Embry-Riddle University - ERAU CAPT program. The students from that program pay for there training up too the commercial multi, just like those of us had to do that weren't in the military. I believe that they are then considered "interns" and work in the office as flight followers. Then after a set amount of time get trained as an engineer, then the right seat. Pay is mediocre for the equipment and there was no 401(k) when I visited with them. My understanding is that they will start in the office as dispatchers (gulp).
-------------------------------------------------------
Company laptops provided to F/O and F/E's; printers will be on board the aircraft too (yeah!). Training: $1000/mo + $36 per diem/day and paid hotel. $48/day

Clyde

Total Time
4000+
Captain Monkey Suit said:
Well that was helpful...

Here's my thoughts...The question I had to ask myself was, "is it worth the risk and is this a job or a career?" Sure it would be "neat" to fly the 747's all over the world, the company...is said to have big investors, the people are really nice and that there is a fresh oppurtunity here with an upstart. Those are the positives. I'd rather not say too much about what I think, but let me say it's gonna be really tough on the Captains and doesn't seem like a great career move...

First Officer Pay (1st year / 2nd year / 3rd year):
B747: $59 / $67 / $74
Focus Air: 0/55/10. Hiring 10 in JUN, add'l 45 in '05, & 300 total thru '06. Flying int'l w/B747 Classics... Mins: Check CPTs: 5,000 TT, 2,500 PIC, & current/qualified w/in last 24 mos in B747 Classic. CPTs: 5,000 TT & 2,500 PIC in B747 Classic preferred. CPTs/FOs/PFEs: 3-4 yrs jet AC expr, extensive int'l expr preferred, 3 yrs Part 121/135 expr, Class I for CPTs/FOs, & Class II for PFEs/FEs.
(Boeing 747-300/-200) Doing proving runs presently. 4 aircraft on property.
----------------------------------------------------
The pay is in the range of $59/hr. (2nd year: $67 3rd year: $74) for the FO and $98/hr. (2nd year?: $127) for Capt. Not sure what the PFE's are making. The Medical plan effective after 90 days. There is a 60 hour/mo guarantee, and a 19 day work month.
-----------------------------------------
Embry-Riddle University - ERAU CAPT program. The students from that program pay for there training up too the commercial multi, just like those of us had to do that weren't in the military. I believe that they are then considered "interns" and work in the office as flight followers. Then after a set amount of time get trained as an engineer, then the right seat. Pay is mediocre for the equipment and there was no 401(k) when I visited with them. My understanding is that they will start in the office as dispatchers (gulp).
-------------------------------------------------------
Company laptops provided to F/O and F/E's; printers will be on board the aircraft too (yeah!). Training: $1000/mo + $36 per diem/day and paid hotel. $48/day

Question, and this is strictly from a cost-benefit analysis thought and not a flame:

How much does it cost to go through ERAU, from start to finish including the CAPT program?

How much more will it cost to pay for training at Focus?

Final question: assuming Focus has longevity, how long will it take for someone to recover the total costs of training from first semester at ERAU straight through to graduation/CAPT Program/Focus training?

My guess is that a student will be extremely lucky to at least break-even if this route is pursued. I heard that the basic cost of going to ERAU is around $90,000.00.

Captain Monkey Suit

Total Time
12:31
I had on a nomex fire suit so I wasn't worried about getting flamed (grin). It's possible that the intern thing will never really develop as it costs too much; and maybe the school gets good publicity while Focus gets free "worker ants" until they get established...but that bothers me if true.

I wish those that are there at Focus Air Cargo good fortune and also to those considering the company.

Anyhow...those are the details that I hope helps.

CSY Mon

Total Time
12K+
Tradewinds had a bunch of guys jump ship and go to Focus.

Yup, that be true.

Rumor says some of them guys are ready to come back if they get their old numbers.

Focus seems to be on the roll however..What is the truth..?

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
CSY doesn't know good QOL!

$60k/yr. as a 747 Capt. and gone 20 days a month. What's not to like, CSY? ;) :rolleyes:

I've got a good friend who got on early. He's hanging on right now but it's not very comfortable. I'm guessing that even as a bitter, pi$$ed-off TWA guy, he'd go running for the right seat of an S80 in LGA. Just my opinion, though.

Take care.TC

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
Total Time
5000+
they have a (or "the") 747 on the ramp at KSAT this afternoon

CSY Mon

Total Time
12K+
$60k/yr. as a 747 Capt. and gone 20 days a month. What's not to like, CSY?

Well, that does not sound right.

I work for a similar firm, Tradewinds Airlines and our payscale does not look all that great on the internet either, but in reality one can have a fairly decent life with a fairly decent paycheck:

I have seen $13K once, $10K several times and not less than $7K..All in a months work and all on first year pay...And most of the time with 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

Having been here less than 1 year I am not sue what the total will be, but quite a bit more than the $60K a year the Focus guys are being told they will make on this here board. (Hourly rate the same or so)

Reality may be a bit better, altough the Focus bidding system may cost them guys some serious bucks over the years....(2 months bid, pay and guarentee)
Fly 95 hours one month and ya get no overtime if ya fly 30 hours the next.
Hmm, good for the share holders meh thinks.

FutureTEDpilot

Total Time
9500+
CSY Mon said:

I work for a similar firm, Tradewinds Airlines and our payscale does not look all that great on the internet either, but in reality one can have a fairly decent life with a fairly decent paycheck:

I have seen $13K once, $10K several times and not less than $7K..All in a months work and all on first year pay...And most of the time with 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

Having been here less than 1 year I am not sue what the total will be, but quite a bit more than the $60K a year the Focus guys are being told they will make on this here board. (Hourly rate the same or so)

Reality may be a bit better, altough the Focus bidding system may cost them guys some serious bucks over the years....(2 months bid, pay and guarentee)

Ugg!~ I didn't think about that two month bid deal. That is where they will stick it to you! Talk about a loophole~!!!!!

Thedude

Total Time
8000+
There actually should be two 747 down in SAT right now

ironspud

Total Time
>20000
FutureTEDpilot said:
Ugg!~ I didn't think about that two month bid deal. That is where they will stick it to you! Talk about a loophole~!!!!!

Plus you are only paid the scheduled flight hours. If the schedule says it takes 7:30 to fly from ABC to XYZ and the actual flight takes 9:00 - you only get paid for 7:30.

Lot's of loopholes in their pay system.

Geronimo4497

Total Time
psysix said:
Yeah, but it's a 747!

How much of a loser do you have to be to semi-copy the name of another member? Stop wanking off to the computer, and go out and get a life!

Geronimo4497

Total Time
CSY Mon said:

I don't mean to be rude, but are those numbers a gross figure? F/O or Capt. Thanks!