Fms?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ic.... ;)

How bout those newer versions then? like the f-16 or f-22 which are 'fly-by-wire'? Do they have FMS ?

Thanks again

Vicar

C-21A FMS

The C-21A (Learjet 35A) has a Universal UNS-1B. It's not too far behind what the latest biz jets have to offer, but honestly, the military Lear fleet is much better equipped than the average civilian Lear 35. We've got an EHSI, EVSI (with TCAS), and a flat-panel MFD that will display nav routes, radar data, TAWS data, and TCAS data.

Most of the older Learjet 35s have no glass in the cockpit, and the older style radar control head.

With that in mind, I'm going to the C-130 next, and I can imagine that it's not going to be as user friendly as the C-21, at least not from a cockpit display standpoint.

Going back to my days as a helo pilot, most civil helicopters these days are getting more and more involved with EFIS systems and FMS systems, but the Army at least is still stuck back in the 1970s and 80s. Some of the aircraft have glass (AH-64, OH-58D), but the majority of the fleet (UH-1, OH-58A/C, UH-60, CH-47) use the old "steam gauges", with no FMS, and many don't even have an integral GPS. The aircraft that do have glass have such avionics not to support navigation or instrument flying, but to help the crew manage weapons systems more than anything else.

C5s and C141s have triple (C5) and dual (C141) INS (at least from the mid 70s on), but were controlled by an INS head with only 9 saved waypoints. In the early to mid 80s, a very, very simple FMS-like head called an FSAS (Fuel Savings Advisory System) was installed to give capability to have up to 40 waypoints as well as a climb, cruise and descent profile (Simple VNAV) capability. The glass cockpit mod on the C-141C added, amomg other things, two Honeywell FMS with dual embedded GPS. This is a very airline-like FMS, with the added capability, like the C-130 SCNS, of controlling the VHF com/nav through the FMS.

Army C-12Rs incorporate the Allied Signal GNS-XLS FMS, and the C-12Ts have the Collins FMS 800. They are both similar to the Collins FMS 4200 I use in the CRJ, though the Collins 800 is monochromatic for NVG compatability.

Most U.S. Army fixed wing aircraft have FMS.

To name a few, C-12 (not all models), UC-35 (Ultra), C-37 (Gulfstream), RC-12 (not all models), RC-7 ?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back