Fms?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vicar

Hi, can anyone tell me if there's a FMS - Flight Management System on military planes like those found in civil, transportation planes?

Thankz

Vicar

yep

Most of the AF's cargo planes were not originally equipped with FMSs. However, i know that some are being modded to bring the cockpits up to date. The C-5's were just starting to get them back in '97 when I left. I know the KC-135 cockpits are being upgraded though I don't know the percentage complete.

Maybe somebody on the forum can give you some current info.

I do know that the T-1, which is used to train future cargo and tanker pilots has a full FMS/GPS and autopilot. Of course it is just a Beechjet in AF markings.

Slug

I'm guessing that since they have made it all the way down to updating the E-Model 135 to Block 30 PACER CRAG, that the 135 fleet as a whole is converted in some form or another (25/27/30/+).

The ol' C- 130 has has a system called SCNS (Self-Contained Navigation Sytem)...we have GPS, INS, autopilot etc......oh, and in the H-3's believe it or not two glass EFI's (ADI & HSI).......oh, but SCNS is nothing too write home about.......lot's of limitations...definately designed by engineers without much pilot/nav input....

My future base flys H model C-130's and they have the standard FMS's (at least on the surface) that you see in commercial airliners.

Hmm, I wouldn't really compair it to the commerical FMS's.....it is really limited.....though it's better than nothing....

My Reserve Squadron has C-130H models with SCNS and C-130J models with a "mentally challenged" half-brother to an FMS that's called CNI-MU. The SCNS isn't anywhere near an FMS and the CNI-MU, even though it looks like an FMS, is a poor, poor imitation. Not nearly as user-friendly or capable as the FMS on the CRJ I fly.

Thanks for the reply....

Hmm, I wouldn't really compair it to the commerical FMS's.....it is really limited.....though it's better than nothing....

The ol' C- 130 has has a system called SCNS (Self-Contained Navigation Sytem)...we have GPS, INS, autopilot etc......oh, and in the H-3's believe it or not two glass EFI's (ADI & HSI).......oh, but SCNS is nothing too write home about.......lot's of limitations...definately designed by engineers without much pilot/nav input....

Hmmm...not all civil planes have FMS...but they do have autopilot and stuff...

So, let me get this straight....

Military has FMS far much more advance than the civil ones? -from RichO post-

Or the military planes are the same al those old civil airplanes except the fact of 'aerobatics skills' n speed wise....(other then the apperarance) ;)

Vicar

Let me clairify......the C-130 has a limited FMS.....it is real old technology.......typically you will find this I believe with most mil transports...if they have one, it is typically years behind that of the commercial fleet.....but, I would definately call it limited as the previous poster mentioned.........

newer upgrades

I can't speak to the 130, but I know the -5 was getting the FMS -5000. Pretty much what you find in up to date cockpits.

Latest resources

Back