• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

flying with wisdom teeth out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had three wisdom teeth taken out last Monday, none were impacted. I opted for the oral surgeon, and getting knocked out. I recommend it, based on my experience. After the surgery in the morning, I slept for a few hours. When I woke up my face was still numb. Once the numbness wore off they started to ache a little so I took a Motrin 800 (generic), and when that didn't work a Vicatin (again, generic). I took one more Motrin before going to bed that night, and didn't need any other pain medication. My mouth started aching a little on Thursday and Friday, but it was tolerable and I didn't take any medications.

I called my AME to find out what was cool to fly on and what was not. They prescibed me the aforementioned pain killers along with an antibiotic, a steriod (to stop swelling), and a mouth rinse. The only one the doctor said I couldn't fly on was the Vicatin (duh!). I flew again on Thursday, and except for the aching mentioned above, had no problems.

Insurance paid most costs. I paid $80 deductable, and $8/ med, for a grand total of $120. I'm sure some insurance will pay a little more, some a little less.

Good luck.

cargoflyr69 said:
One word of warning though... my first night back to work, i picked up one of those Chipotle Burritos on the way to the airport for an inflight dinner.....no, not what 'yer thinking...."diahrea in a freighter" did not occur.... instead, a danged piece of burrito-rice got lodged in the hole where one of the bottom teeth were. so anoying........ good foods are ice cream, applesauce, and anything soft. good luck!

Here's a bit of advice to keep this from occuring...They make plastic syringes that curve at the end...sort of a cheap water pick. Patterson Brand is who makes the one I have. Most oral sugeons should have these available for you after the surgery. You MUST keep the holes clean :)laugh: ). The only way to do this is to use warm water and get the food out. Rice is the absolute worst. Thing is, its what you don't feel that can cause an infection. Its kinda gross, yet amazing at the same time, the buffet of food particles that can get stuck back there and you don't even know it. Eat a granola bar and you'll find out very quickly.

Cheers

Last edited:
relief tube said:
for those that have had "impacted" wisdom teeth removed while having the flying job, how long do you recommend being away from the cockpit, seeing that we have one of those jobs where you have to be "with it."

Also, just curious how much to expect to pay, before insurance deductions, for all 4 out?

Thanks in advance.

I went back to work right away. I started having some pain in my jaw which became progressively more excruciating, eventually leading to two dry sockets. My point is, if you are going to go back to work right away, be cautious that there might be complications. Then again, there might not be anything to worry about.

In most patients, blood fills up the open tooth socket left after a dental extraction. The blood hardens and protects the socket while the gums grown over the top of the open hole. With most patients, the gums often completely grow over and close an open extraction socket in a week or so. After six months, the hardened blood is replaced by bone that grows into the socket. This can be seen on a dental x-ray

In a patient with a dry socket, blood does not fill up the extraction socket or the blood clot is lost. The gums can not grow over the extraction socket because there's nothing to grow over and the hole remains open. This opening causes a constant dull throbbing pain and the patient can often have a foul smelling breath and bad taste in the mouth. The dry socket can sometimes even cause ear pain.

A dry socket begins hurting about three days after oral surgery. It's called a dry socket because the hole, or socket, that the tooth used to fit into becomes dry. Dentists don't know exactly what causes a dry socket. It seems to occur more with lower teeth than upper teeth and more with females than males.

The problem occurs more often after difficult extractions and Dentists do not know exactly what causes them. It may be that forceful pushing against the wall of the socket when the tooth is being removed causes the walls of the tooth socket to become crushed. This prevents bleeding into the socket because the blood vessels have been crushed closed. The lack of blood then causes severe pain.

This is just some basic information to consider before flying, I would hate for anyone to have to go through the same experience I had to endure.

Last edited:
I had Boney Impacted wisdom on 3 out of the 4. Keep a heads up, that fell under medical instead of dental and saved me a few more bucks!!

Some precautions

Do not drink out of a straw for about a week after. Also, if you smoke I would recommend you put up the cigarettes for at least a week. When I had mine pulled, I had the best sleep of my life for three days.

Damp tea bags on the socket work really well, keeping the socket from becoming dry. Also, keep some gatorade/powerade at your bedside, this also helps keep the socket from becoming dry.

I heard horror stories about it, and it wasn't really that bad.

Just my .02

I got the same advice gdub did. Use a tea bag.

I had problems with a dry socket. Called in sick for a four-day because of it.

Insurance costs will vary due to the difference in medical/dental plans.

Don't worry about work. This is a good excuse to lay out for a few days.

My doctor gave me gauze to keep on the wound, I only used it for the first day. Another word of advice, when you fall asleep right after the surgery put an old towel or other peice of cloth that you don't care about under your mouth. Without getting into details let me just say, I ruined a pillow and pillow case.

Latest resources

Back