• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

flying with wisdom teeth out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say about 1 week would be good. Why push it, relax and recover.

It's pretty rough, i got gassed and they used stitches. It took about a few days to recover. You also go insane because you can't eat anything that requires opening your mouth more than an inch, that lasts about a week.

In your case though hulas isn't really bigger than an inch so you were fine right? cheers

get a ********************ing life dude seriously, that's not even classy the way you put it. You should know.

Last edited:
I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed and was only off work for that day. Told the dentist I needed to be back in the airplane ASAP. He put a couple of stitches in (which they normally don't do) and said have at it. You might try asking about that.

My one tooth was $240, so Draginass is right on the price.

"Told the dentist I needed to be back in the airplane ASAP" WTF for Chuck?

I'd play this card at least one week.

Last edited:
It's pretty rough, i got gassed and they used stitches. It took about a few days to recover. You also go insane because you can't eat anything that requires opening your mouth more than an inch, that lasts about a week.

Did you really expect someone NOT to say something when you phrase it like that??? I mean c'mon...given you and that quote, it's like handing someone a giant gift...

Every person is different in their recovery. I took 3 weeks. Worst pain I've ever experienced and I have remarkable pain tolerance. The next guy will tell you 2 days.

If you are working for a 121 you most likely have dental insurance. If this IS the case go on your benefits site and look up the SPD (Summary Plan Description). This by law has to be readily accessible to all in the plan. Most plans that I have seen from other 121's includes an orthodonture allotment. Depending on your plan there will be a max and a co-pay and deductible. Expect to pay 20-60% of the cost up to a certain number (which you most likely won't hit unless your plan has been hit by other medical expenses). As far as time off, FMLA is a great one for something like this- as is a sick call. If the FMLA is for yourself (as it is) you can be paid out of your sick bank or accrued vacation at most carriers. Don't rush going back after surgery- FMLA and insurance is designed to make sure you don't go back before 100% healthy. It's also nice to be able to take "the good stuff" to kill the pain. I would suggest calling ALPA Aeromedical (303) 341-4435 and asking the official stance on both the time of meds and time needed off. If you are at an ALPA carrier this call is free (you pay your dues for something...) and it's completely transparent to your AME and FAA, but you will legally need to put it on your medical application next time you go. Not a problem, but a quick homework assignment will ensure no issues down the line. Call your R&I folks for specifics at your carrier..

-A guy on the ALPA R&I committee.

Latest resources

Back