Flying the Aztec...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

I will be doing my multi in a pa23 250 E model. Does anyone have some good tips or advice for flying this plane? I just ordered a POH so I can learn the systems and speeds. Thanks guys.

I teach in them. They are rather easy airplanes to fly. Just a few more things to deal with though than you had in a single. It blows you away the first few times you fly one since your not accustom to doing as much. But the airplane is very stable and easy to fly. Two finger flying is fairly easy also unless your going to horse one.

One tip though, for landing, trim the nose a bit high you so you have to maintain a little foward pressure on the yoke. It makes the flair easier. I tell all my students to do it. Many folks three point them the first few times they fly and the additional trim helps alleiviate that.

Great airplanes though. Piper builds a great airplane. Haven't flown yet that I didn't think flew well.

Some of the questions asked about the systems are about the Janitrol heater and the fuel system because there is a cross feed.

Have fun with it!

The Aztec is a great plane. I did my multi in one. You're doing the right thing by going through the manual and learning the systems and speeds. Also, spend some time learning the limitations.

Here's a bit of advice, make sure your instructor isn't one of those guys who likes to pull the mixture or cut fuel right down low. My examiner was one of those guys who shut off the fuel. When the time came to fail an engine he distracted me and reached down to the fuel levers between the seats. Thinking that he had his hand on the LH lever, he shut off the fuel to the RH engine. Moments later, when the RH engine quit, I correctly went through the entire engine failure drill - including feathering the RH propellor. A few moments after the RH engine quit windmilling I witnessed, for the first time, a person (my examiner) having a heart attack - in his mind, he had shut off the fuel to the left engine and I had just shutdown and feathered the right engine. - not a good position to be in at pattern altitude. You've never seen a guy start to sweat so profusely. Once he realized what he had done he settled back down and the rest of the checkride was pretty mellow.

'Sled

A great honest twin. The sytems are pretty simple, just study up. Two thing off the top of my head:

#1: The overhead pitch trim crank will drive you nuts. You'll crank it the wrong way at first every time.

#2: The fuel system requires some actual fuel management (tank switching, timing, tracking of what tanks are being used, etc), something you might not be used to if you're coming out of light singles. It may not be much of a factor if you just fly the plane a few hours to get your multi, but if you do any actual trips in the plane then you need to come up with a strategy for managing your fuel.

Great airplane, I teach in one.
Previously flown the Cougar, Seneca I and Seminole for my ME.
Marginal perf. on all of them.
Aztec just rocks, we fly a 1966 C (new engines) and today we outclimbed a Pa28 on one engine.
Ours will climb on on engine to about 8000' or so with 500fpm, obviously at light weights but still.
Lots of 135's still fly with them so valuable time.
Systems compare better to larger airplanes with the hydraulic flaps.
Those will drive you crazy also, it takes some finess to get them down in stages instead of all in one.
Flap, trim. flap trim, flap,trim.
Landings are pretty easy, you can kiss them on with pwr idle and roll out with the nosewheel in the air.
Initially fly in the practice area with very moderate pwr settings, like 18"MP and 2300 rpm, that will give appr. 150 mph which is plenty fast if you come from light singles.
Have fun, fly safe, if your MEI cuts at low alt. sock him one in the yaw and switch.

Surprised anyone hasn't mentioned the stock configuration of the systems on the left engine, which make it even more "critical" hehe.

The flaps and gear are hydrolic, and the hyd pump, unless two are installed, is on the left engine. If that quits, you're gonna be real busy trying to clean it up.

I've heard to pull the pump lever out before t/o....that way if u lose one, you don't have to fumble for the pump, you can just reach down and get started.

Have fun int he Truck!

T-Hawk

I used to own three of them. N5490K a C model, N333FS a D model and N14203 a E model. All had radar and all were fully deiced. Before I would sign guys off for a 135 checkride I used to make them do a go around under the hood from 100 feet with the left engine a sim feather. They had to pump, and pump, and crank, good bird it will do it. It can carry one heck of a load and get in and out of short strips no problem at all. Slow it down to 80 knots or so before letting the wheels touch or you will 3 point it. It is a hard airplane to fly onto the runway. Have fun.

Lead Sled said:
The Aztec is a great plane. I did my multi in one. You're doing the right thing by going through the manual and learning the systems and speeds. Also, spend some time learning the limitations.

Here's a bit of advice, make sure your instructor isn't one of those guys who likes to pull the mixture or cut fuel right down low. My examiner was one of those guys who shut off the fuel. When the time came to fail an engine he distracted me and reached down to the fuel levers between the seats. Thinking that he had his hand on the LH lever, he shut off the fuel to the RH engine. Moments later, when the RH engine quit, I correctly went through the entire engine failure drill - including feathering the RH propellor. A few moments after the RH engine quit windmilling I witnessed, for the first time, a person (my examiner) having a heart attack - in his mind, he had shut off the fuel to the left engine and I had just shutdown and feathered the right engine. - not a good position to be in at pattern altitude. You've never seen a guy start to sweat so profusely. Once he realized what he had done he settled back down and the rest of the checkride was pretty mellow.

'Sled

The rest of that checkride better have been the easiest darn ride ever if he did that to you. If anything, you better have received a sympathy pass on future rides. I flew a Turbo C model with the STOL kit. "truck" is an adequte description to how my particular bird flew.

Regarding the trim for landing, mine had elec. trim so I just used thumb trim near the flare to get the nose up. Very similar to landing heavier airplanes (leaning on that trim switch). Just a thought. Aside from that, no other biggies I can remember.

One more tidbit, if the cabin door flies open it blankets the stabilizer and it goes into a 60 degree dive toward mother earth. I almost put a nice hole in the ground 5 miles south of Midway one night when I opened the door to haul a seat belt in- a NO, NO in that airplane.

I used to fly them for a 135 operator. Not the best looking airplane or the fastest, but does everything at the C+ level. It'll carry a load of ice.

Latest resources

Back