Flying the Aztec...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A-Truck

Just sit back and listen to your instructor and you will enjoy your Aztec experience. Until you start flying jets, you will not find a finer aeroplane than the Astec.

I too did my multi/comm in the truck. I have flown C-F models and the onnly two incidents that I have had is a jug on one engine coming off of the block (right after a 100 hour) and a split flap (because an AD hadn't been performed). The BIG ASS stabilator will make handling a dream.

I only wish they put two doors on this aeroplane. Good luck.

I was always fond of the Aztec...not pretty, but it loads well and with the extended tanks, flies far.

I think back when they designed the Aztec, most people who flew them, probably wore flannel shirts. Also, be careful around the point where the seat back hinges to the seat. Over time, the little sheet metal guard wears open into a surface that is great for snagging only your newest pair of dockers...

Last edited:
The pitchup on deployment of flaps can be eliminated completely by learing to "dance" with the airplane using the trim. At 125 IAS go to full flaps all at once. It takes a bit less than 3 1/2 turns of the trim crank down (counterclockwise) applied at just the right speed. The nose does not pitch up and you don't have to hold down stabilator to compensate. I've seen a lot of pilots bleed in flaps a bit at a time so they can hold pitch while they trim. This is a PITA and also a distraction you don't need. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines and once upon a time 135 Aztruck driver

I always had electric trim on my Aztec's nice option. In a normally aspirated Aztec in ice you are better to stay low and plow threw it. If you try to climb you get tend to get icing on the bottom of the wing, the airplane will run out of airspeed and start to decend due to having too much weight from icing. If you stay in the ice and let the deice do the trick and power through it it does well. The only thing you have to worry about are the air inlets getting clogged up from the ice, you just have to use your alternate air.

Latest resources

Back