Flying overseas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Varig

For those of you who have abandoned ship in the US and moved overseas to fly, are you happy now? I know it depends on where you go and who you fly for but I would like to get some advice on flying abroad. Things like cockpit culture, CRM, way of life, is it worth it, etc.
Thanks in advance,

VF

Very Happy!! If you are left seat you set the tone. I know that where I work the locals, for the most part, prefer to fly with the foreign capts.

It can be an eye opener, as the "current Position" from dumb pilot eludes, the culture on the flight deck isn't the same, other factors here do make up for it though.

No regrets.

Cheers, SAO

Your happiness overseas will depend a lot on your personality and you and your family's willingness to accept change.

For me. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to work in the US.

I could not be happier! Awesome schedule, great jet, very professional crew, and better pay then just about anywhere. When I first got there, there was a little anit-Americanism and the training department was Nazi-ish, but that has just about all been fixed.
The cockpit culture varies quite a bit depending on the backgrounds of the crew and their nationality, but the airline does a very good job with standardization. I love the countries I visit and long haul flying is not so bad, lots of time in the bunk while getting flight hours.
I'm based at LAX so I can't really speak to living abroad, but I would do it in a heartbeat if my wife didn't have a great job and I could find the right place to live. My pay would be quite a bit higher and they give a very nice housing allowance.
The CRM course was one the best i've had and i'm a CRM facilitator! I also very much like the way they let the FO do EVERYTHING when it's his sector. The Captain even does the walk-around while the FO loads the box.
When we were asked to take some unpaid leave the Captains were asked to take more then the FOs and the FOs more then the SOs. We all agreed and that saved guys from being dropped off the bottom. Pretty good idea for all of us to share the pain and keep pilots from getting furloughed.
It's a great gig as far as i'm concerened.

Thanks for the reply Bjammin. I liked the way you put it. I hope I end up liking where I'm going. I guess only time will tell.

VF

Latest resources

Back