• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying for US Marshal / JPATS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The US Marshals usually hire from within or ex military and ex law enforcement. I'm both and was picked up by US Customs. My interview group had one furloughed airline and one strictly military, the remaining were either military/law enforcement, military/airline, law enforcement/airline. It is very competitive when it comes to getting a GS13 pilot position.

Note: I had to turn down the position due to a family members health.

Yup, I can second what ATLcrashpad said. I have done quite a bit of subcontract work for the US Marshalls and even applied for a job there. Most of the time when a job is advertised they already have someone in mind, so unless you know someone currently working there you can forget about it.

I haven't had the greatest experience with some of the US Marshall pilots. A good majority are ex-military and dont know how to fuction with their civilian counterparts very well. (Read: some of them can be real pricks).

The flying I did for them was a minimum of 5 legs a day and sometimes up to 11 legs. In a 727 that makes for a very long day. So you can forget about getting any breaks or trying to eat during the trip.

DrProc said:
, and the one thing that I have found is that there is not one background that makes one pilot better than another.

Who said one was better than the other? I can't find a poster on this thread that said military guys were better pilots. I think you're reading in between the lines way too much.

~wheelsup

MyRadarIsOut said:
"so I'm guessing those jobs normally go to those fella's (and rightly so)."

And why do you think they should rightly go to those fellas?

Why do you think they shouldn't?

PHXFLYR:cool:

DrProc said:
Part 91 Flight Time Limits? Interesting.
How about those long haul international 121 operators that have no limit on duty time under supplemental rules.

Listen, I have nothing against the military, especially since I have been there and done that. But I have flown with a lot of people with a lot of experience from a lot of different outfits, and the one thing that I have found is that there is not one background that makes one pilot better than another. I have met just as many idiots with a military background, than with a civilian background. Also Conair operates more like an airline than as a military flight operation.

Now with that being said, can't we all just get along?

NO!:D

PHXFLYR:cool:

wheelsup said:
From my understanding, the application process is based on "points". You get more points for being a veteran, so I'm guessing those jobs normally go to those fella's (and rightly so).

~wheelsup

Here is the definition of points preference:

VETERANS PREFERENCE: Five points may be added to the eligible ratings of veterans who: Entered the military service prior to October 14, 1976; served on active duty during the Gulf War between August 2, 1990 and January 2, 1992, regardless of where the person served; or, served in a military action for which they received a campaign badge or expeditionary medal. Medal holders and Gulf War veterans must have served continuously for at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. Ten points may be granted to the eligible ratings of disabled veterans; Purple Heart recipients; spouses or mothers of a 100 percent disabled veteran; or the widows, widowers, or mothers of a deceased veteran.

With federal positions, they are also "graded" to ensure that you meet the minimum requirements. When you apply, make sure that you have all the qualifications they are looking for or your will end up in the "non-qualified" pile.

Hey Doc,

Of course we can get along. I think you misunderstood my posts a bit, though Sir. Nobody ever said anything about military pilots being better, I simply stated that veterans get hiring preference (Points). (Refer to Kathy's post above mine for the specifics.) This is not because of anything other than they served their country and get looked at first. Period.

You misinterpereted both of my posts as meaning that I somehow assert that veterans should get those jobs because they're somehow better pilots. You and I both know that has nothing to do with it. Veterans get preference for the jobs because they served and that's the law.

Blue Skies...

Postes by PHXFLYR vbmenu_register("postmenu_852328", true);
"Why do you think they shouldn't?"

I think that they should go to the most qualified! With things being even, then the veteran's preface kicks in.

I asked the original question in post #10 because of this:

"so I'm guessing those jobs normally go to those fella's (and rightly so).

It looked to me like you were saying that only prior military should get these jobs. Like someone said, its who you know. Just like in many aviation jobs. No harm intended.

JohnDoe said:
Hi,
Anybody have any insight on flying for the US Marshal Service / JPATS (ie: what is the job like/entail)?[/quote

It's a U.S. government job; if you're a white non-veteran male you go directly to the bottom of the list.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back