• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLOPS Maintenance Sucks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DL, I'm not surprised that the salary figures for members of management aren't known as well as the pilots' wages are. We all have a good idea why that is don't we... Who thinks that group is underpaid relative to their counterparts?

I'd like to know if the company gets subsidized by the other business groups they deal with in the course of operations? Isn't labor a cost of doing business?

So to those pilots who don't think they should be paid the going rate for their skills--this question: Suppose you're selling your home (just as nice as any other in the neighborhood) and the average selling price for your area is $150 a sq ft; are you going to offer your home for $100 a foot....:rolleyes: Why should you and your family lose out on the rewards of your sweat equity? Yes, I've used an analogy but it is very fitting, I think.

Good point, DL! The benefits and extras matter a lot.

Dash Trash
You realize it's not management's choice to raise healthcare costs. The entire healthcare system is a mess. Show me one company whose costs have gone down and/or benefits have gotten better. I too, don't welcome the increased cost of healthercare, but it's betteer than the alternative.
As far as no, or poor crew meals and poor hotels; can't you feed yourself? There are groucery stores all over the place. Do you think you deserve a catered meal like those who fly on these planes? And I don't think anyone should have to stay in a crappy hotel, but the pilots don't deserve to stay in 4+ star places either. You are not traveling for luxury, you are working.
Again, no KoolAide drinking here, just the facts.
Fozzy, fly my shiney jet? brag to the ladies? head in the sand? I can't relate to these things.
You anti-management pro union people sound just like all the lazy Auto workers and Airline mechanics that think management is out to get them and they want more money for less output because "the world ouws them". Look at the big 3 automakers-drained by leaching lazy employees ($60 an hour to build a crappy Chevy Monte Carlo) and can't make a quality product to support the company. Airline mechanics that won't do anything outside their job description for the good of the airplane which they are maintaning.
I'll stop sinking to this level now.

....can't you feed yourself? There are groucery stores all over the place. Do you think you deserve a catered meal like those who fly on these planes?

If they expect the airplanes to move in a timely manner out of BFE, then yes, absolutely. I can't speak for Dash, but I have no intention of eating nothing but fast food for an entire week. Talk about increasing health-care costs!

And I don't think anyone should have to stay in a crappy hotel, but the pilots don't deserve to stay in 4+ star places either.
Wow, you seem to have an awfully low opinion of pilots if you think they "don't deserve" four-star hotels.

You are not traveling for luxury, you are working.
Should be just be sleeping in the plane, then? Should we be sharing rooms, too, like Wal-Mart execs have to? Where does the downward spiral stop?

You anti-management pro union people sound just like ...
You don't have to be anti-management to be pro-union and pro-pilot. The ideal situation is where the company treats it pilots as an investment and an asset, instead of simply an hourly expense to be minimized. Companies that understand that fact are among the most successful, and that's not a coincidence.

Management's job is to maximize profits. We understand that. The pilots' job is to maximize income and benefits. These two, opposite goals come together in a bargaining agreement. If a pilot group cannot or will not work to maximize its lot, it gets as little as management can get away with. My previous employer is a perfect example of that -- the month after the union drive failed, medical insurance contributions went up about $1500 a year. Coincidence?

Last edited:
You realize it's not management's choice to raise healthcare costs. The entire healthcare system is a mess. Show me one company whose costs have gone down and/or benefits have gotten better. I too, don't welcome the increased cost of healthercare, but it's betteer than the alternative.
Netjets....
As far as no, or poor crew meals and poor hotels; can't you feed yourself? There are groucery stores all over the place.
This is one of the stupidest things I think I've ever read on this board. Last time I checked, no one(pilots on the road) goes to a grocery store to pick up breakfast, lunch or dinner for obvious reasons, namely, the time to prepare and cook a meal and of course maybe the absense of a kitchen to do it in. Crew meals are provided so that crews will work through meal times. No crew meals means that we have to stop working 2 or 3 times per day to go find food. Unbelievable.......
Do you think you deserve a catered meal like those who fly on these planes?
Like what, lobster and shrimp cocktails? Of course not. But I'm pretty sure I deserve more than the box of Lucky Charms and smashed pair I received once. No milk either......
And I don't think anyone should have to stay in a crappy hotel, but the pilots don't deserve to stay in 4+ star places either.
Last time I checked, Hiltons, Hilton Garden Inns, Crown Plaza, etc....you know, the kind of places that used to be the norm, are not 4 star. As far as deserving anything, I spend half of my life on the road as one of THE PILOTS. You get to stay at home every night, so why don't you just stick to what you know.

This guy or girl is obviously not a line pilot and prefers to hide behind his computer.

What do the pilots at NJ pay for their insurance? hmmmm let me see. NOTHING. Didn't NJ claim to lose hundreds of millions, then the TA was signed and now they are showing a profit in spite of the increase in pay. Wow that sounds great to me, give me a raise and the company will make enough money to write in black instead of red. Wouldn't that be better for FLOPS?

Skanza whether you like it, or not, the union is here to stay at FLOPS. In reality it is probably the best thing that could happen for FLOPS. We do deserve more pay and better benefits. When was the last time there has been a pay increase at FLOPS. If you work here you know the answer. NEVER. If someone would to be hired today they would be hired at the same pay as someone who was hired over 5 years ago. How is that for a pay-cut? Sir I think you do have a false sense or reality of the working conditions and benefits compared to other fractional pilots. I think you either have your own special deal that you risk losing because the union is here, or you are management. You are the minority in a democratic union. You had your chance to vote no, and Bobby Boy told us everyday how to vote NO. Just give him a chance, he would make everything better. He has been here about a year and I challenge you, Skanza, to give me one improvement he, or anyone has made since Bobby came to FLOPS. If you consider over 159% increase in insurance, threat of 130 pilots laid off, a flex schedule with no rules, or the loss of our earned vacation because we are FORCED to take it an improvement so be it. That surly isn't an improvement for me. So I ask you this question what has FLOPS done for me?

Oh lets not forget the lowest thing the company has done to it's pilot lately. How about when payroll makes an accounting error and the company comes back and demands all money back in full now causing pilots to go without pay. Perfect holiday greeting if you ask me. Management wouldn't even try to work it out with them. Skanza tell me how FLOPS is the best fractional out there. Tell me all the great things they have done for you.

P.S. It is funny how you brought up the auto industry and the union, Bobby used that same example.

Skanza,

My wife’s insurance did actually go down this year, so guess what, we are switching. As stated by FLOPS, their insurance costs have increased 57% over the past two years, yet they increase our costs exponentially, 150%-300+%.

As for buying my own meals, it was much easier in the 121 world were we actually had access to the terminal and a choice of foods. Lets see, Greensboro, GA, nothing to eat within 20 minutes of the airport, Farmington, NM the same, Durango, CO, Bangor, ME, Bar Harbor, ME, La Bandera, TX, all the same. NEED MORE; I know I left several dozen out. If given the opportunity, I would much rather buy the meal myself, but alas, I rarely have the chance.

As for your position on hotels; I don’t know what cheap a$$ commuter you spent time at, but I deserve better than the local motel that doesn’t even meet the criteria for FLOPS published standards. I DO NOT expect outside doors, condom wrappers on the floor, bug infestations, cum shots on the blankets, blood stains on the sheets, cracks in the walls, etc. This describes the last few “MOTELS” this company has put us in, without exaggeration.

Many have said you’re just happy to be flying a jet, well so be it. I have been in this business for years and have seen a race to the bottom at every level; the commuters, majors and now with attitude like yours at the fractionals. I could care less if you are happy flying a jet, when YOUR standards, or lack thereof, bring everyone else’s down.

It used to be a race to the top with all the companies, but I see you have fallen into the thinking of so many that are just happy to have a job. I want a career, not just a job, so forgive me when I tell you to go get F*@%#&! :laugh:

Skan,
I really hope you are just a management tool. This profession does not need your type.
Go to the supermarket to pick up food!?!:laugh: You have to be kidding me.
Enjoy Motel 6. Maybe the pro next store will give you a freebe. Oh wait, even the hooker has some self respect, and knows how much she should be paid for her services.

Skanza is a company troll

Civ/Mil: civilian
A/C Flown: Jets
Ratings: More jets
Total Time: .4

Kinda says it all, doesn't it.

Don't waste your time with this guy.

Skan,
I really hope you are just a management tool. This profession does not need your type.
Go to the supermarket to pick up food!?!:laugh: You have to be kidding me.
Enjoy Motel 6. Maybe the pro next store will give you a freebe. Oh wait, even the hooker has some self respect, and knows how much she should be paid for her services.
Last time I looked, first year hookers were paid more than 50k a year.

Latest resources

Back