FLOPS Maintenance Sucks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FR8DOG777

Wow, this was taken right off the company website. Are they suggesting that we carry right-ups until it is convenient for maintenance? I like the first bullet stating to give them a heads up on broken items. Yea right. If its broke, its broke. When its broke, where it is broke. No way in hell am I going to call the maintenance dude on row three and say "we have an issue with X, just giving you a heads up". Nope it is like this, " X is not working properly, I need the total hours and landings please so I can finish this 501. Thanks and have a nice day.:laugh:

Maintenance

At the KCGF Headquarters, your Mid-Cabin Program Managers have been participating in ongoing meetings with the Maintenance Department with focus on improving communications between flight department management and maintenance, and between flight crews and maintenance.
An important focus item immerging from these meetings has been the specific manner in which discrepancies are written by the flight crew. For example, the utilization of appropriate wording and/or verbiage on a discrepancy report as well as including any operational data pertinent to the discrepancy are both paramount in efficiently troubleshooting the discrepancy.
As a reminder to flight crews, there is now a Maintenance Coordinator stationed on each Row in the OCC and available for guidance and assistance with all maintenance issues.
The Maintenance Department has asked that we remind our crews to adhere to the following guidelines when generating a 501 discrepancy:
  • Give the Row 3 Maintenance Coordinator as much advanced notice as possible on impending discrepancies. Whenever possible, discuss each issue with the Row 3 Maintenance Coordinator prior to generating the discrepancy.
  • Be as detailed as possible when generating the discrepancy. Whenever possible, solicit guidance from the Row 3 Maintenance Coordinator concerning any necessary data and/or information that should be included in the discrepancy (i.e. flight conditions, temperatures, engine parameters, etc.).
  • Whenever possible, solicit guidance from the Maintenance Coordinator on the wording and/or verbiage you will utilize in the discrepancy. Discrepancies written utilizing maintenance verbiage or “maintenance speak” are often more easily interpreted by maintenance personnel, and often yield less confusion or questions at troubleshooting time.
  • Always verify that your Row 3 Maintenance Coordinator has received all faxed 501 forms. This should be accomplished by sending an e-mail confirmation of receipt to the A/C Control H800 e-mail address, which may be obtained through the “Lookup” function on your Black/Blueberry. The e-mail should include the time that the fax was sent and the amount of 501s included in the fax.
Many thanks all for your time and attention to these issues…and thanks again to all Mid-Cabin crews for all of your hard work and dedication.

Perhaps they mean to call the company en route when something breaks to give the "heads up". This could be accomplished by ACARS, AIRINC, SAT Phone, or via radio through FSS.

Just playing devils advocate.

Maybe?

You could be correct. Management may want us to call ahead on the phone (providing it works) to give them a heads up on a maintenance issue in flight. Of course "in flight" wasn't mentioned in the communication from FLOPS. Recent threats to our pilots give me a different feeling. They are tracking every write-up by every pilot. They have statistics on this stuff. They have also stated that they would send a "counseling letter" if you have too many write-ups.
Calling ahead may be what they mean, but until we are treated with the same respect as our peers at the other fractionals, and have industry standard pay and benefits, that will be highly unlikely. I will not do any favors for FLOPS. They simply don't deserve any.

I was called several times while planes were aloft and given a heads up
to a coming write-up which would down the aircraft. I informed both the
maintenance coordinator and the infamous "front-row" troubleshooters [sic].
Wow! Got my butt chewed a few times for not having the crew talk with the
MX guru immediately. Well, I always figured if they wanted to talk to the MX
guru they would have either; a) called him directly, or b) asked to speak with
him.

As a scheduler it wasn't my job to determine downing gripes. I always figured
the crew was giving me a courtesy call to allow time for recovery of any
follow-on flights. The infamous front row never seemed to view it that
way. Rather than spending the time notifying the follow-on flights' owners
of impending delay or working on recovery, they focussed on getting the
crew to continue to fly the aircraft under a long, and growing longer, list of
MELs.

I left over two years ago. I miss the people. I don't miss the job for that
very reason.

I would argue the title of the thread is incorrect. The maintenance folks
have been jerked around almost as much as the pilot group. They're
FO employees, now they're Raytheon employees, now they're FO
employees, losing benefits, taking pay cuts... ouch. I still keep in touch
with a couple of mx types - they're not happy either.

Last edited:
Boy, oh boy... aren't company policies fun? Let me shed some light on the big scheme of things when it comes to the "Triune 3" of documents that card-carrying Union members fly with in today's day and age.

1. FARs
2. CBA (contract)
3. FOM, GOM, OU812 (company policy)

Welcome to the food chain of documentation. 3 cannot trump 2 or 1. 2 trumps 3 but not 1 and 1 trumps it ALL. I would characterize the maintenance memo FLOPS management put out as a clear an present danger to any professional flight crews career.

Let's look at just a few of the FAR Part 91 nuggets related to this topic.

I'm sure that 91K and 135 operate in tandem to FAR 91.

§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of
the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is
the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

§ 91.7 Civil aircraft airworthiness.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless it is in an airworthy condition.

(b) The pilot in command of a civil aircraft is responsible for determining whether that aircraft is in condition for safe flight. The pilot in command shall discontinue the flight when unairworthy mechanical, electrical, or structural conditions occur.

And if you hurt or kill someone in the process...

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

I am glad I left too.

Why stay? The place has not lived up to its promises from day one. It started with liars and cheats and is going to finish by making liars and cheats out of you if you stay! Think about it... ...why not leave and be happy? If you need help finding a new job, ask. I used to think that people did not quit the company but rather the poor managers that ran the company. I don't even put FLOPs on my resume; I tell those interested that I took five years off to find out who I am and reaffirm my religion (translated: I was lost most of the time because of poor management direction and I prayed everyday that my boss would get hit by a bus.)

Recent threats to our pilots give me a different feeling. They are tracking every write-up by every pilot. They have statistics on this stuff. They have also stated that they would send a "counseling letter" if you have too many write-ups.

Comair used that tactic during negotiations, too. They figured that would stop the write-ups. Then again, they figured the pilots wouldn't strike for 89 days, either. Just to f'up the stats the FO's would write up some of the squawks.

Latest resources

Back