FLOPS Maintenance Sucks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captain envy

There were FO's writing stuff up a while back at Options and that caused a big stink. They are so stupid that they think since they are FO's they can not write stuff up. They operate different than airlines in the fact that every pilot is typed in the aircraft. Some people were trying to say that the captain may know more about the airplane than the FO. That theory is the dumbest thing I had ever heard. They have FO's that have been in an airplane for over 5 years and then they got captains that just came to the airplane. Who do you think would know more about the plane?

I had a check-airmen tell me that FO's should consult with the captain before they put pen to paper. That is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. There are plenty of times that the FO's gets to the plane hours or days before the captain. So that would not work anyway.

Also they had check-airmen that are famous for grounding airplanes counseling FO's on writing stuff up. Talk about the blind leading the blind?

As for the original topic. MX uses the mighty pen and the CND for too much. The problem is scheduling is on their backs to get the plane out the door. That is not so much the case anymore though. They are as pi$$ed as the pilots with the new bennies coming out.

All I can say is that it is going to be an interesting peak travel season. Can you say charter costs are going to sky rocket? ;)

Why would a co-pilot want to put his name or ticket on anything he didnt have to ??????? How fragile is your ego??? Just because you wear four bars and the check cleared on your type ride doesnt make you a Captain little man. Sit back, relax your crack and let the captain do what he is paid for.

From your profile I am going to assume you are in the 121 world and have been for a while. With that being said, fractional's are a lot different than the 121 world. In the 121 world both the captain and FO get to the plane together.

If you would have read my post, you would notice that I stated the FO may see the airplane hours or days before the captain.

So with your mentality, it would not work in the fractional world.

Like linecheck asked. What are you going to do when the captain does not right something up? I for one will not let anyone push me to fly a broke airplane that I think should not be flown. I have a family that is more important than any job or passenger needing to get somewhere.

Again re-read my post. You will notice that everyone is typed in the plane and the FO just may have thousands of hours in the plane and the captain may just got out of school and has thier 100 hours so they are not high min's. With that being said who are you going to trust more? The guy with thousands of hours in the plane or the guy fresh out of school.

I have given some tips to new captains and they have given me tips as well. You learn from each other, not by the title you have. Just like any job the reason that person is captain is because he got hired first not because they have more experience or have been in the plane a long time. Again see above.

So let that captain that does not want to "put pen to paper" push you into flying a broke airplane, it just might be your last flight.

I would think if you really have 16,000 hours you would have more common sense. So go on and continue to "assist".

Oh yeah, assist my a$$. I am not there to assist anyone, I am there to do my job and make sure I get home to see my family at the end of my rotation.

Are you in a hurry to write up the a/c so mx can get it fixed right away so you can still do the trip company boy?????? Go inside and have a cookie and lay off the coffee!!!!!!

Are you in a hurry to write up the a/c so mx can get it fixed right away so you can still do the trip company boy?????? Go inside and have a cookie and lay off the coffee!!!!!!

Obviously you do not work at Options or you are the company man. There are plenty of captains that are more likely to carry things than to write them up.

As far as putting my name on something. There is nothing illegal with a FO writing anything up. If it is broke it gets written up. I very rarely put my name on any write but if it needs to be written up and the captain is not there or not willing to do it himself. I am going to put pen to paper and go to the hotel.

Anyway A$$wipe I do not drink coffee.

Obviously you do not work at Options or you are the company man. There are plenty of captains that are more likely to carry things than to write them up.

As far as putting my name on something. There is nothing illegal with a FO writing anything up. If it is broke it gets written up. I very rarely put my name on any write but if it needs to be written up and the captain is not there or not willing to do it himself. I am going to put pen to paper and go to the hotel.

Anyway A$$wipe I do not drink coffee.

We know your ego is small and fragile but how small and disfuctional is your d*&k that you have to have a picture of a gun to define yourself??????

All I can say is that it is going to be an interesting peak travel season. Can you say charter costs are going to sky rocket? ;)

Why would you do this to your own company? Find another place to work if its that bad and don't ruin it for those who like working for the company. Now, I may sound like a "Company Man sipping the KoolAide" but this is my career and value it. I don't want it spoiled by a few bad apples.
(With all respect to the pilots who enjoy flying and are dedicated.)

Let me guess you're just happy to have a job?

You can enjoy a lot of things. This is buisness not your personal fun.

Shiny jet syndrome

Why would you do this to your own company? Find another place to work if its that bad and don't ruin it for those who like working for the company. Now, I may sound like a "Company Man sipping the KoolAide" but this is my career and value it. I don't want it spoiled by a few bad apples.
(With all respect to the pilots who enjoy flying and are dedicated.)

We all enjoy flying. I enjoy making money more. So Skanza, you shouldn't drive down the market so you are able to fly a shiny jet. If you enjoy flying so much and not concerned about making money; then buy your own plane and do some volunteer work in your local community. Don't ruin aviation for your own personal satisfaction.

Relax, my friend. In the frac world, it really is a team in the cockpit. I never called the guy i'm flying with "captain are you ready for the checklist, or captain, is it ok if I eat my crew meal now"? They won't bite, (they may nibble a little however).;)

I am so glad I left Options.

Well, I am at my third 121 carrier and I cannot ever remember calling the Captain I am flying with "Captain". Trust me, when you are in some 'garden spot" in India or Africa and trying to get an MD11 or DC10 moved it is a "team" effort between load masters, mechanics and flight crew.

"All I can say is that it is going to be an interesting peak travel season. Can you say charter costs are going to sky rocket?"
Your comment to me said nothing about your quote above. If you're interested in making more money, how will that happen if you "sky rocket" the charter costs? Then there's less left over to pay you. Also, more unhappy owners that may go to NJ.

You are HIGHLY uneducated...

"All I can say is that it is going to be an interesting peak travel season. Can you say charter costs are going to sky rocket?"
Your comment to me said nothing about your quote above. If you're interested in making more money, how will that happen if you "sky rocket" the charter costs? Then there's less left over to pay you. Also, more unhappy owners that may go to NJ.

If you knew anything about the Netjets struggle for their current Contract, you would know that an Agreement was not forthcoming until Management realized it was more cost effective to be Fair with their Pilots than not to be Fair.

Do you think they came to that conclusion by accident? Absolutely not. It was the direct result of their Pilots showing them just what an Unhappy Pilot Group is capable of by doing nothing more than adhering to the following:

Don't do anything illegal for or against the Company.

This means, if it breaks, write it up where and when it breaks. Carrying write ups will not lead to a Fair Contract. It also means that every Pilot from the Company we are referring to should look up what the definition of an MDL (MDL, not MEL) is in the General Maintenance Manual located in the Fujitsu under Documents. Refer to page 75, and your eyes will pop wide open. If items have been MDL'd contrary to the procedures in the GMM, the aircraft is operating in an Unairworthy Condition. Does anyone remember who is responsible for making sure it is flown ONLY in an Airworthy Condition? That's right Mr. PIC.

Can you say Violation?

Freedom is not Free.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back