• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Name one thing that 1108 has done that has created problems. Just one.​

Here is one.. you only asked for one.

"Buffett's Baby Is Taking a Bumpy Ride"

"Mr. Santulli has battled other challenges as well. Intense contract negotiations with pilots last year led, Mr. Santulli asserted, to some of them "not giving 100 percent."

Still, a pilot shortage last year forced NetJets to charter other aircraft.
"On the days when we were very busy, I had to go the charter market, and they kill you with pricing," Mr. Santulli recalled. "I should have hired 300 pilots, but no one knew what their contract would be.

So I had airplanes and no pilots."

"Mr. Santulli has battled other challenges as well. Intense contract negotiations with pilots last year led, Mr. Santulli asserted, to some of them "not giving 100 percent."

"On the days when we were very busy, I had to go the charter market, and they kill you with pricing," Mr. Santulli recalled. "I should have hired 300 pilots, but no one knew what their contract would be.

CONVENIENTLY, after selecting only a small paragraph from the article, and choosing to post ONLY that...you neglected to post the final sentence of your one paragraph quote:

"On the days when we were very busy, I had to go the charter market, and they kill you with pricing," Mr. Santulli recalled. "I should have hired 300 pilots, but no one knew what their contract would be. So I had airplanes and no pilots." The shortage is now over, NetJets said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/business/yourmoney/25jets.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Problem solved. You're Welcome.

Last edited:

Why don't you answer with something legitimate and answer the other points (not only mine, but the questions you have dodged from everyone)? This means something other than posting a link to some anti union website and your usual canned replies. I triple dog dare ya!

How about, scab?

CONVENIENTLY, after selecting only a small paragraph from the article, and choosing to post ONLY that...you neglected to post the final sentence of your one paragraph quote:

"On the days when we were very busy, I had to go the charter market, and they kill you with pricing," Mr. Santulli recalled. "I should have hired 300 pilots, but no one knew what their contract would be. So I had airplanes and no pilots." The shortage is now over, NetJets said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/business/yourmoney/25jets.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Problem solved. You're Welcome.

You are right. I missed it, but it was by accident.

It shows how much the union didn't care about how much money the company spent because it was completely stagnated by negotiations.

No union, no negotiations, no charter costs.

Problem solved.

Thank you for pointing out that I overlooked it.

B19, you really are an idiot. You're incredibly biased, narrow minded, and short sighted. Again, who do you think pushed for the union at Options? Answer- the MAJORITY OF THE PILOTS THEMSELVES.

No one pushed them or forced them or cheated them. It was voluntary. We did it. And guess why? Because our management had all the opportunity in the world to make things better and treat us right waaaaayyy before we voted in the Teamsters. All we got was broken promises over and over.

Think about how much less leverage we would have without the union and where we would be now had they not been voted in. Management would have full reign to continue to take, take, cut, cut without any recourse. They have, they did, and they would continue to. There wouldn't be very little we could do other than resign.

I don't know how you haven't figured this out by now but you and your stupid little FI posts aren't going to change the industry. Unions came to be for good reason.

Something else- if you think the union is/will be the downfall of Options, you may be the most naive individual in the industry. If you are Bob, this only supports my point further. Options' problems go WAY BEYOND the pilots and their contract fight.

Last edited:
Let's all give credit where credit is due: It's well known that low morale causes productivity to drop so managers know full well that dragging out negotiations has negative repercussions. The NJ contract battle ended when management put down the stick and started handing our carrots. Obviously had the realistic, fair offer come earlier in the process RTS could have solved his recruitment problem much sooner. NJA's record profits proved that motivated workers treated with respect will gladly go the extra mile. That common sense concept was pro-actively put into practice during IBB. RTS has accepted the Union as a full partner and NJA has benefited from the contributions of talented 1108 volunteers who serve on the joint committees.

If Flt Ops managers were smart they'd follow that example and work with the pilots to reach a fair agreement. A good first step would be agreeing to meet as often as the pilots are asking them to. Management's delay tactics are evidence that their side has an ego problem and isn't bargaining in good faith. Pilots on the outside look at that disrespectful attitude and don't apply. Consequently when there's a recruitment problem it's easy to see who's causing it and how they can end it.

Let's all give credit where credit is due: It's well known that low morale causes productivity to drop so managers know full well that dragging out negotiations has negative repercussions. The NJ contract battle ended when management put down the stick and started handing our carrots. Obviously had the realistic, fair offer come earlier in the process RTS could have solved his recruitment problem much sooner. NJA's record profits proved that motivated workers treated with respect will gladly go the extra mile. That common sense concept was pro-actively put into practice during IBB. RTS has accepted the Union as a full partner and NJA has benefited from the contributions of talented 1108 volunteers who serve on the joint committees.

If Flt Ops managers were smart they'd follow that example and work with the pilots to reach a fair agreement. A good first step would be agreeing to meet as often as the pilots are asking them to.
Management's delay tactics are evidence that their side has an ego problem and isn't bargaining in good faith.
Pilots on the outside look at that disrespectful attitude and don't apply. Consequently when there's a recruitment problem it's easy to see who's causing it and how they can end it.

You have to be talking about Sherringa, he has the only EGO that is bigger than Flight Options business itself

Ego

Make no mistake, all serious labor negotiations are (almost entirely) about ego. Please do not think they are about lifestyle, profits, fair pay, etc. It doesn't matter whether it is pilots and management, players and teams, teachers and schools, auto workers and manufacturers. It is about the ego at the top of both side handling the negotiations.

Fly safe.

Make no mistake, all serious labor negotiations are (almost entirely) about ego. Please do not think they are about lifestyle, profits, fair pay, etc. It doesn't matter whether it is pilots and management, players and teams, teachers and schools, auto workers and manufacturers. It is about the ego at the top of both side handling the negotiations.

Fly safe.

Sir,
With all due respect, this is not true with the IBT 1108. Our negotiations were to make sure that NJA was a viable long term career opportunity for your pilots so that NJA did not turn into a revolving door training pipeline to some company like many of the regional airlines have become. Our Union kept an eye on the ball - that was a fair contract negotiated for the families of the crews that fly you and not for the egos of the union leadership.

In 2004, in all likelihood the FO on your airplane was making an NJA wage that made him eligible for government assistance. He may have even been forced to keep multiple jobs to keep his family supported. You paid virtually the same but any profits were not returned as profit sharing or increased salary/benefits or improved working conditions to make a safer product for you.

If you are speaking to the egos of NJA Company management, with the exception of a few, I have not found that to be true either. Others can speak to other Companies, but I respectfully request that you not lump IBT 1108 with any other experiences in sister aviation or nonaviation industries.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back