• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Parrot_Head_Fly

Average Joe
Just a few questions

-Bases as of right now

-Typical on / off per month

- can I stay in Kansas City MO?

-ATP req.?

I have searched this forum, looks like some are unhappy, some are not. This type of job would be a step up from air ambulance that is for sure.

Currently hiring only to specific bases. Kansas City isn't and won't ever be one. Hiring into a "flex schedule" 15 days a month, based off a rotation...yada yada yada.... ATP not required, minimums for an ATP are however. You will get one when you go to school.
Plan on sitting right seat for at least 4 years in the Beechjet, oh I'm sorry, Hawker 400XP. Upgrades are very, very slow.
Alot of unhappiness is a bit of an understatement though. You'd be hard pressed to find some happy Ops pilots.

hawkercpt said:
Currently hiring only to specific bases. Kansas City isn't and won't ever be one. Hiring into a "flex schedule" 15 days a month, based off a rotation...yada yada yada.... ATP not required, minimums for an ATP are however. You will get one when you go to school.
Plan on sitting right seat for at least 4 years in the Beechjet, oh I'm sorry, Hawker 400XP. Upgrades are very, very slow.
Alot of unhappiness is a bit of an understatement though. You'd be hard pressed to find some happy Ops pilots.

Actually, KMCI is a Tier 1 airport and, according to the website, they are hiring for that domicile. Dittos on the upgrade time, though. AT LEAST 4 years.

Flex schedule is 21 on/9 off. Work 15 days of the 21. There are some rules to it. Like if you go out for 8 you'll get at least 6 off. Hope this helps.

No flame here at all, I'm just curious about FLOPS folks opinion of the 50 million buybuck by Raytheon. Does this mean some big change, better or worse, is coming down the road? Basically, is shutdown possible at some point?

Frac Daddy said:
Actually, KMCI is a Tier 1 airport and, according to the website, they are hiring for that domicile.

My bad. Of course it is...KPIT is a tier 2, why wouldn't KMCI be a tier 1.

no damned sense.

Geronimo4497 said:
No flame here at all, I'm just curious about FLOPS folks opinion of the 50 million buybuck by Raytheon. Does this mean some big change, better or worse, is coming down the road? Basically, is shutdown possible at some point?

The place is going down in flames!

Well I don't think that were going out of business any time soon, but the thoughts of Booger and all of us here are mostly the same. I also think that Raytheon didn't just give a sinking ship 50 mill, without some future reward (Tax write off, profitable company, or something else they come up with).

Our CEO (although from an employee standpoint sucks) he is doing his job, and being paid to do a job. That job is to run a company and make as much money as possible, If he can get the pilots to work for half of what we have now, he would. And Raytheon would give him a healthy bonus for it. That is his job, and that is what he is doing.

So we want an insurance policy of our own, a contract.

So to answer your question "Better or Worse"? If it were better, we would not need a Union to save what benefits we have left. So yes its worse.

send in a card

dime line said:
So to answer your question "Better or Worse"? If it were better, we would not need a Union to save what benefits we have left. So yes its worse.

That is an excellant summation of the situation we're in. The company seems to be exercising a campaign of "Expedited Attrition". Every few weeks or so management comes out with a policy clarification, a new initiative, or some go forward BS. It all equates to loss of pay, benefits, and QOL. What we have already lost would have paid our union dues many times over.

Fright Options Attrition

When I started at FltOps I was Sen # around 960. In the last year and a half 175 pilots in front of me have left. That is an attrition rate of 18.2%. 56 new pilots have been hired for a net loss of 119 pilots. That is a net attrition rate of 12.4%. What does that mean? Well, assuming an unchanging number of aircraft and therefore positions, upgrade will occur faster than expected because everyone is quitting. Of course since we can't replace the pilots fast enough planes will end up sitting and we will have to contract charter more which will make us lose more money which will send us out of business. If you are lucky, you can pull up roots and move your family to some new place with a higher cost of living just so you can work for a company that probably won't exist for the 25 - 35 years you might want to make a career. Assuming you would want to make a career at FltOps. I don't see that being the case much anymore. Fortunately, pilots being the consumate professionals that we are, safety and, to an extent, customer service will remain priorities as long as we are flying here. it is only right to do your best in the situation you are in, but no one realistically expects folks to stick it out anymore I don't think.

Latest resources

Back