Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spinplate said:

Thats the bag,
I never had any problems with the handle coming loose but will double check it and maybe add longer screws into it with washers.
Ive been very happy with it for the last 18 months that Ive been flying with it. Im not sure but I think if you goto a Harbour Frieght they might also make a grey one, just in case you dont want the "spies like us" look.

happy trails

Someone said it before; I'll say it again. Get the Scott leather flight kit. It is a very high-quality bagn with a strong handle. I went through three cheap bags in my first year at the airlines. In my second year, I had the Scott bag. It is holding up great. Just get something quality, and take care of it. Treat the leather to keep it strong. Don't twist the handle to get the bag out of the cockpit. Plus, the company stands by its bags, and will fix it for you.

Yes, the price of the Office Max versions are attractive compared to the $280 for the Scott bag. But, let's do the math:

If you Scott bag lasts at least 10 years: Price, $280, leather treated twice for $10. Total, $300.

Office Max version, one every year due to poor quality, for 10 years: $350. Plus, then you have to put some work into it to make the bag usable on the lne, like a reinforced bottom, longer screws, etc.

I had a handle break in the middle of a trip. It was not fun. The Office Max version was made for traveling salesmen, not professional airline pilots.

1973Arrow said:
Any thoughts on what kind of flight case would do well in a CRJ-200. Something cheap to make it through the first few years would be nice...

If your planning on staying with the airlines or a 121 carrier for a long period of time, my suggestion would be to "BITE THE BULLET" and invest in a quality leather flight case. I did the office depot and staples route and the bags did not last very long. I paid $50 for my first one. It fell appart after 3 months of use. So instead of buying another one from there I baught one from Scott Leather.

Yes they can Run any where from $250-$350 deppending on which bag you buy. But these bags will last 15-20years. Scott leather will also give you an airline discount. I believe it is around 20% off the retail price.

If you decide to buy from Scott, I reccomend a bag with the leather straps that rap around the whole bag, It will give it more support.

Http://www.scottleather.com

Good Luck

FlyChicaga said:
I went through three cheap bags in my first year at the airlines.
Yes, the price of the Office Max versions are attractive compared to the $280 for the Scott bag. But, let's do the math:
Office Max version, one every year due to poor quality, for 10 years: $350. Plus, then you have to put some work into it to make the bag usable on the lne, like a reinforced bottom, longer screws, etc.
I had a handle break in the middle of a trip. It was not fun. The Office Max version was made for traveling salesmen, not professional airline pilots.

Wow, I must not be a professional airline pilot. I paid $40 for the Office Max bag (before it became a Samsonite model and the price jumped $20). Six years later and it's still in great shape. I figure I'll get 2-3 more years at least. Go with the cheap one, but treat it well. Don't put it on the luggage hook and pull down with all of your might. Take out uneeded items like the Aviator Ray-Bans and Captain's Atlas. My $50 rollerboard finally lost an axle after six years of rain, snow, and salt. Not bad. If you don't put a million pounds in it and throw it around you'll get plenty of years out of a cheap bag.

This thread was about the CRJ but I was not going to make a new one.

Anyone knows weather there is a bag that fits the E145 and can hold your laptop as well? My laptop is a Dell 8500 which is not the smallest. I will definitely not fork over $300 on 1st year so I would love to get the Office D one and buy a nice one once that is trashed. Would that work? They have a bunch different ones could someone give me a link?

I always like to buy quality stuff but rigth now union fees, uniform, crash pad, flight case, sunglass, cool aid etc... it never ends... just too much at once. I would like to be at least off probation and be able to find my a$$ in the cockpit before I start buying the nice stuff. I'll take care of my eyes but the rest... gimme trash for now :)

Thanks!

huncowboy said:
This thread was about the CRJ but I was not going to make a new one.

Anyone knows weather there is a bag that fits the E145 and can hold your laptop as well? My laptop is a Dell 8500 which is not the smallest. I will definitely not fork over $300 on 1st year so I would love to get the Office D one and buy a nice one once that is trashed. Would that work? They have a bunch different ones could someone give me a link?

I always like to buy quality stuff but rigth now union fees, uniform, crash pad, flight case, sunglass, cool aid etc... it never ends... just too much at once. I would like to be at least off probation and be able to find my a$$ in the cockpit before I start buying the nice stuff. I'll take care of my eyes but the rest... gimme trash for now :)

Thanks!

I have a dell 8000. Its not that it wouldnt fit but everything in my cas e would be very tightly packed. I just throw it in my overnight bag.

kilroy said:
I'm sure I'm going to get blasted about this question but what exactly do you guys carry in the flight bags??

...you have over 7000 hours, and you don't know what goes in a flight case? Are you kidding or something?

Latest resources

Back