Flight training device logging?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sim time v. total time

I agree, keep your sim time separate from your aircraft time. It makes for easier bookkeeping. Airline apps deviate from generally-accepted timekeeping practices in so many ways. It's just easier to take times out of your logbook and give the airlines what they want.

I think the only usefulness of logging FTD time is for saving some money in the instrument or commercial rating. Being a CFI now and caring what the interviewers think I don't log any FTD time. When I get on the simulator to practice my scan is hardly important to anyone but me. The real experience comes from fly approaches to minimums with students.

Also, flight time as sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which you are rated for (Category and Class) is PIC. If you are rated for a ASEL and don't have a complex endorsedment it is still PIC when you are manipulating the controls of a complex airplane.

Log that sim time!

OR_MEI, log that sim time!! But keep it separate as mentioned in the previoius posts. When I presented my resume to the Comair interview captain, he asked what the FTD number was for on my flight times. I told him it was instrument time in a sim (FTD...Frasca). He added that time to my airplane instrument time to see if I had at least the "magic 10%" instrument time as compared to my total time. They do indeed look at it.

When I was instructing, I logged everything! We had to teach PCATDs to Inst. and Comm students and I made a temporary column to track how much dual I gave in both the PCATD and FTD. I didn't put that anywhere on my resume because I wasn't going for another instructing job and it's irrelevent to the airlines. I logged it primarily because management made us turn in a record of instruction given in a/c, sims, etc, so it was more of a short-term log.

I get a kick out of people who hold licenses beyond Commercial who still log solo ;) After all, we need only log those hours required to maintain proficiency or gain a rating. I've long ago closed out the 'ol solo column in my logbook!

Latest resources

Back