Flight time and bum question.. what to do

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More leadership stuff

In response to Fox-Tree, the guard is changing (at least at my unit).
We joke that our guard unit is more like "active duty" than the active duty guys are. The team players get quick upgrades to A/C and IP, and the guys that do the "mins" sometimes hang out as a copilot for years. Non-flying participation is very important. Preparation for Operational readiness Inspections/Exercises take up a lot of our time. Frequent voluntary deployments that are quasi-mandatory pop up, and we are expected to help out. TACC and the guard bureau are building trips that are very busy with little down time. Tactical training flying requirements have increased with the advent of NVGs. New technology has also made it more difficult to fly as a min timer. Throw in constant threat of BRAC and it gets stressful for
the full-time staff and pure guard bums who refuse to move out of the area. We occasionally have fun, but not like the previous generations did.

However, a "well behaved" pilot who plays the game and acts like an "adult" can still thrive as a part timer with a civ flying job. It's just a lot tougher than it used to be. I have heard of more than one A/C or copilot who pulled some stupid stunts (on the ground off duty and in the air) and were placed in the min fly/min pay penalty box.

All these comments are from a guy that took a long time to actually become a team player, used to bash the system, and pulled a few stupid stunts as an
0-2/0-3. It still worked out for me, but I don't depend on the guard for my paycheck. I'm 18.9 years
into my career and have the option to "retire" in 2009. I'm looking to expand my non-flying education and eventually just fly my own plane for fun (airshow stuff).

In short, be smart and follow the party line. Have fun and remember that the Air Guard/Reserves aren't like they were for the previous generations. However, it's a great way to make above average pay, get a free education, and see the world...all while serving your country (and occasionally getting shot at).

Good Luck!

good stuff, thanks for the info gray beards. I am about to wrap up UPT in a few months and eventually get back to the unit (after The Rock). Like to see everyones point of view.

Awesome replies, I truly appreciate the intel.

Regarding seniority. When does one officially begin to accrue seniority at the airline? Day 1 at the schoolhouse? IOE?

Regarding mil leave. Does one need to furnish a copy of said orders to suffice for mil leave? What about when one has a batch of man days a week and the regular TPs and UTAs a month? How does one substantiate mil leave in instances where there are non-continuous orders?

Thanks. Still trying to figure out how to hedge my bets for the upcoming years.

Last edited:
MDINC...I' mean hindsight!

Regarding seniority. When does one officially begin to accrue seniority at the airline? Day 1 at the schoolhouse? IOE?

My airline was from day one

Regarding mil leave. Does one need to furnish a copy of said orders to suffice for mil leave? What about when one has a batch of man days a week and the regular TPs and UTAs a month? How does one substantiate mil leave in instances where there are non-continuous orders?

It depends. Some units provide orders that include your UTA's for the year. It also depends on your airline's requirements but orders should be all you need.

Are you with the KBAD unit?

I gotta go with Fox-Tree on this one but I'm a FDX'r as well. I still have never seen the crap you're talking about with the "perception of involvement in the unit". Only thing I see is the high ops tempo and guys trying to get airline jobs. Good luck and do what works best for your family.

i was in the same boat, new co-pilot very little flying at the unit so I had to do what was best for myself and family so sucked it up financially took a regional job and did the guard thing and finally moved on to the majors. Money wise if you look at the immediate, true the guard will pay way more than a regional at first but if u can somehow make it by for a while especially if u r single then i would say go to the regionals anyday. plus right now the upgrade times are good and the attrition rate or guys moving on has gone up..good luck

I thought people joined the military to serve and protect their fellow citizens, but apparently all you care about is flight time in the log book so you can go get a job elsewhere. Can I have my money back please? I and my fellow taxpayers did not fund your training so you could jump ship to an airline at first opportunity

I and my fellow taxpayers did not fund your training so you could jump ship to an airline at first opportunity

He's a part-time Reservist. He's pondering whether or not to fly at a regional in addition to his Reserve job that "you fund." Any guy going from the military to the airlines at the earliest or ANY opportunity has fulfilled his obligation to serve and protect you.

Latest resources

Back