Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hindsight2020

Yeah Buddy
As a low-time dude, I was wondering what you folks consider a nominal amount of flight time a year (or monthly however you want to look at it) as a bum before you'd consider a regional job.

Reason I ask is we got a 2 yr upgrade at the unit (presently flight time independent), so depending on how much PIC one gets from that point it could be potentially 5 years before I would be competitive for a carrier of interest. As much as the thought of first year regional FO keeps me up at night, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket by attempting to bum for that long of a time, or have a full time job locally to never materialize, and now I've foregone 5 year seniority somewhere else (probably holding CA by then).

I know the best scenario would have been to get on with said regional before going to UPT, but that wasn't an option back then (no hours for it) so I'm presented with the current scenario. I'd still commute from the squadron city if I were to consider it (yep, commute to rsv = suck), just wondering what's your cutoff point hours-wise at the unit before it'd be worthwhile getting that seniority number at a regional. Thanks

What kind of aircraft do you fly in the Guard?

Also,
What would it hurt to pursue the regional job? If you get it, try it. Meanwhile you keep you eyes open for TDYs, temp-tech positions, an AGR to open, whatever. If that option presents itself, mil leave from the regional. If not, you know you can start building PIC after your mil AC upgrade in two years. I doubt it would be sooner than that at a regional but eventually, you'll be building PIC at both spots.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Go for the regional job after your seasoning days. Get on with a regional, complete training and consolidation time, then start taking military leave.

It sounds like you are in a heavy unit. My units bums are kept very busy and get plenty of AD days, including long tours.

Remember, once you complete your seasoning days that you are a part timer in the ANG. You will have to balance your time between civilian flying and military flying.

The order always goes - family, civilain job then ANG. Never shall that order be shuffled to remove family from #1.
luck.

Good luck. You are in a great position and will have two excellent careers.

Yeah, I'm at a heavy unit. I've asked around and the way it's looking I may be able to fly about 2-3x a week (after seasoning) while bumming and log about ¿high 300-low 400ish a year?, that's prob doing local trips. If one were to go on TDYs and the like then obviously the hours would go up for the month.

I've also been told that the bum money pot is good and 4 man days a week has been "commonplace". I acknowledge that's pretty damn good but I just get the feeling that I should get a number at a regional to play it safe, since bumming is really volatile work (the way it's been explained to me anyways) and even though I would def. clear more at the end of the month initially bumming than messing with the regional, I am a little hesistant to make it [bum] my sole source of income on a long term basis. I do intend on staying at the unit city, the fiancé has a good job and likes it here, and I'm happy when the family is happy.

In response to the "what would it hurt?" question, the reason I'm tip toeing around the regional gig is because I've grown to feel as though things are offly political in most workplaces, and the decision to partake a regional job might affect leadership's perception of my involvement at the unit, essentially shooting my own foot and my ability to take advantage of opportunities that would otherwise be made available to me if I just "stood still". Perhaps I've misread the environment since I am still to get off orders and start flying the line part-time, but I've experienced office politics before joining the Guard/Reserve ranks and as a FNG I am hyper-sensitive to the notion of how people get blackballed, the impact of first impresssions and the "perception is reality" mantra. But maybe I make too much of that concern. Honestly, that's the only reason I haven't put this to bed and taken pkober's advice of finishing MQT and go get my number at the regional and start mix and matching with mil leave (which sounds like excellent advice). I'm relatively young and just looking to place myself in a position to provide a decent living for my family and maximize the QOL, and the quicker I get off living on the part-time employment status (or regional FO pay conversely) the better chance I have at succeeding in doing so.

Last edited:
Dude, I'm in the same boat as you, except i've got the option of taking another year of active duty orders. Looking back, I wish I had gotten that regional job and mil leaved it, but like your name says, hindsight is 20/20. I think finding the best regional that works for you and jumping on is probably your best bet. Mil leave as much as you can, and before you know it, you'll be PIC at both places.

Well, I didn't have to do the regional thing, but, due to conversion and threats of no money several of the younger guys got hired at a local regional, all took orders as soon as they could and have no desire to ever to go back to their regionals. It would depend on which regional (if there still is a good one to work at) would work for you and what things are like at your unit. If orders/man days aren't an issue it might be better to stay a bum. Especially if you can get hours and aren't worried about health benefits (you said your wife has a good job...).

c-130 pilot pojnt of view

My guard unit has 5 regional airline pilots. Two are aircraft commanders, two are new C-130 copilots, and one is a navigator who picked up all his tickets. None are Captains at their respective airlines due to being junior.

It worked out well for them. One guys in particular only flew for the airline for about 2-3 months, finishing IOE and then getting furloughed. Free airline benefits (travel) ever since. It's been 2.5 years now and he has been on active orders most of the time and is approaching 1000 hours PIC time in the C-130. He can go back to the airline with the assurance of decent pay and an eventual upgrade on the CRJ, or he can hunt out some more active duty opportunities and keep banking his 0-3 active duty salary.

For the guys in our unit that did not go fly for the regionals, they are making good money but do not have the part 121 time, glass cockpit, M/E jet, and the other experiences that an airline job can give. They chose not to live in a crashpad at a hub and to not worry about furloughs. Some of these guys are bankers, sales reps, or grad students. They are getting calls from the fractionals, but no major airline interview calls.

I didn't go to a regional, but I probably should have. I've made some great money, put plenty of PIC time in my book, and landed a very solid part 91 job (few overnights) across the street from my guard unit . I have no plans to go the majors, but it is always an option. I did get an offer to interview at Delta, but my wife wasn't too supportive of an airline career (she's a doc). I have some very lucrative non-flying options that trump most airline gigs. I currently fly around 300-400 hours per year and have a blast. If I flew for a an airline ore fractional I would end up flying 1000+ a year and probably hate it.

My recommendation..find a regional with a good fit to your unit. Short (one leg) or no commute. Choose a quick PIC upgrade and quick hour builder over jet time. However, play good politics at your unit by flying as much as you can and by also learning about the non-flying duties (tactics, ORI/ORE, schedules, special projects that can show you are a leader..and other junk like that). You need to become and A/C and then an IP ASAP. It looks good on your airline resume. then pick up some free education such as a graduate degree in business or accounting. Good luck and invest well (TSP).

I'm in the same boat. I flew around 600 hours my first year at my unit, but our long term orders ended, so I took a job with Kalitta. I've been flying the whale for a little while now, but don't know if I should take mil leave and go back to the unit and upgrade there, or keep flying and upgrade in the 74 in a year. Bumming at my C-5 unit will get me 500 hrs in a year if I fly my ass off, but QOL and fun will be at Kalitta. I'm just trying to get to Fedex or UPS like everyone else.

In response to the "what would it hurt?" question, the reason I'm tip toeing around the regional gig is because I've grown to feel as though things are offly political in most workplaces, and the decision to partake a regional job might affect leadership's perception of my involvement at the unit, essentially shooting my own foot and my ability to take advantage of opportunities that would otherwise be made available to me if I just "stood still". Perhaps I've misread the environment since I am still to get off orders and start flying the line part-time, but I've experienced office politics before joining the Guard/Reserve ranks and as a FNG I am hyper-sensitive to the notion of how people get blackballed, the impact of first impresssions and the "perception is reality" mantra. But maybe I make too much of that concern. Honestly, that's the only reason I haven't put this to bed and taken pkober's advice of finishing MQT and go get my number at the regional and start mix and matching with mil leave (which sounds like excellent advice).

YGBSM!! This sounds like stuff I heard on active duty.
Every Guard unit is different but if this is really the case at yours, I’d have to say that’s a first. After seasoning, you’re a traditional Guardsman – period – dot. If your unit’s leadership is that hard core about your participation, then they probably should pony up and give you an AGR slot or some other full time position. Otherwise, you need to feed your family and pay the bills. If they won’t pay you, someone else needs to (like a regional airline).

Obviously, you need to be ready for your missions and maintain your qualifications and proficiency. However, you can only do that if they have days or when you burn UTAs and FTPs. If you start blowing off opportunities to gain experience, if they present themselves (especially as a new guy), then you may run into trouble. I doubt anyone would begrudge you the time to go through new hire school and get checked out at an airline if you get hired.

Not everyone in a Guard unit can (or wants to) be full time and I can’t imagine you have leadership that doesn’t accept (and probably embrace) that reality. At least I hope not.
Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back