Flight Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quote:

"so here goes: hire more friggin pilots so there is more flexability in the schedules, with more pilots you don't have to squeeze them for every available minute. Oh yeah, forgot to add... not much pressure on the company to do that if everyone is gonna work overtime though."

As long as these guys continue to work day upon day of overtime, mgmt. will not upgrade, nor hire sufficient pilots. I understand the need to make a little extra money to help out with expenses, but pilots should consider their fellow pilots on occasion.

Frac Daddy said:
Falcon,

I guess I should have been more clear. Knowing somebody there is not enough. Like Dr. B said, your freind has to "go to bat for you" if you want that interview. Good luck.
Frac...

Well, I guess it comes down to when you put down your reference, using the online application, will the friend concur with your reference to him/her?

In other words, will your reference really refer you to the job?

Dr. B said:
I was just hired by Options, still in training.

You are asked to disclose where you want to domicile during the interview. To my knowledge there is not a 50 city list. The old criteria still applies, they want at least 3 airlines, and 6 daily departures. In addition, the domicile must be approved by the logistics department. You will know if your choice is approved before you are offered a job. They prefer the bigger cities for obvious reasons. Whoever that was that asked if Vegas applies, yes it does. I know because I have already been approved to relocate there from my current domicile - Dallas.

The contract is real, I believe that I was in one of the first classes to sign it. It is a very simple 1 year pro-rated $12,000 training contract. In my class, 2 went to Beechjet, 3 to CJ1. Seniority or experience in new class seemed to have nothing to do with it. I.E. oldest got CJ1. Pay first year regardless of aircraft is $34,00/year plus $8,100 in perdiem.

The key to getting an interview is having a friend who is willing to personally go to bat for you in the office with the people who are responsible for interviewing you.

Good Luck
I don't believe they are CJ1's. I think they are the original CJ's.

I'm probably gonna get my weiner slapped for this, but it doesn't bother me.

To all of the Options guys that work overtime, just realize you aren't actually saving the world, like they lead you to believe. You are making it harder on yourselves and the rest of us. You might think you are doing the company a favor, but you are really screwing the rest of us. What we need is bodies and new airplanes, upgrades and new SICs. When you whores go out and work overtime, it makes the company more willing to offer it because of guys like you. They hire less, upgrade less, and make the rest of us work our a$$es off for 14 hours, 7 days of the tour.

I've run into guys on day nine and ten on the road, and generally end up pi$$ing them off when I tell them what I think of OT. That doesn't bother me, because you guys are making my life tougher on the road, and I'm going to let you know about it. Call me what you will, chew my tail out, my opinion won't change. And I think the majority of our guys feel the same way.

Ot.

Not taking side here. Just the facts. OT is cheaper than hiring more pilots. Why, to hire and train a new SIC regardless of acft, 75 to 80K before he flies the first IOE leg. And then, there is the issue of benefits and company contributions.

You can pay a bunch of guys OT, almost two years worth at average Frac industry SIC pay, and still save money as a company. Do the math times ten or 20 new hires and there ya go.

The pilots are gonna do it and the company knowns it. Pilots, like everyone else can always use a littel boost in the check book.

Be pissed all ya like (I agree with ya BTW.) but its not going to change anytime soon. JET PASS, M Cards, Jet Cards, whatever. Standby.

kingtut said:
Not taking side here. Just the facts. OT is cheaper than hiring more pilots. Why, to hire and train a new SIC regardless of acft, 75 to 80K before he flies the first IOE leg. And then, there is the issue of benefits and company contributions.

You can pay a bunch of guys OT, almost two years worth at average Frac industry SIC pay, and still save money as a company. Do the math times ten or 20 new hires and there ya go.

The pilots are gonna do it and the company knowns it. Pilots, like everyone else can always use a littel boost in the check book.

Be pissed all ya like (I agree with ya BTW.) but its not going to change anytime soon. JET PASS, M Cards, Jet Cards, whatever. Standby.
Where do you get a figure like 75to 80K for training? They are going to send you to school for a type if you do not have one. If you do they are going to send you to recurrent. I would think at the most it would be 25k counting hotel, airlines and the type or recurrent. No where near 75 to 80k. Just do not see that adding up.

BTW I don't think any of should do OT either.

Amen, brother.

SheGaveMeClap said:
I'm probably gonna get my weiner slapped for this, but it doesn't bother me.

To all of the Options guys that work overtime, just realize you aren't actually saving the world, like they lead you to believe. You are making it harder on yourselves and the rest of us. You might think you are doing the company a favor, but you are really screwing the rest of us. What we need is bodies and new airplanes, upgrades and new SICs. When you whores go out and work overtime, it makes the company more willing to offer it because of guys like you. They hire less, upgrade less, and make the rest of us work our a$$es off for 14 hours, 7 days of the tour.

I've run into guys on day nine and ten on the road, and generally end up pi$$ing them off when I tell them what I think of OT. That doesn't bother me, because you guys are making my life tougher on the road, and I'm going to let you know about it. Call me what you will, chew my tail out, my opinion won't change. And I think the majority of our guys feel the same way.
Amen to that brother. We need more guys like you (and me) with enough ba11s to educate the rest of the pilot group on the drawbacks to working so much OT.

Last edited:
kingtut said:

Dude, you are totally missing the point. You are correct that the company saves a buttload of money by paying overtime as opposed to hiring more pilots. While I don't want to start an "us vs. them" war with management, I do believe that they would pay us in ears of corn and chickens if we would accept it. The point is this: Management will do whatever it takes to save money. Pilots who work overtime may be doing themselves and their wallets a favor, but they are doing the vast majority of us a great disservice. I realize, sadly, that we may never have a union on property, but I would like to see the pilots look out for each other BEFORE looking out for those in suits.

matchthehatch said:
Dude, you are totally missing the point. You are correct that the company saves a buttload of money by paying overtime as opposed to hiring more pilots. While I don't want to start an "us vs. them" war with management, I do believe that they would pay us in ears of corn and chickens if we would accept it. The point is this: Management will do whatever it takes to save money. Pilots who work overtime may be doing themselves and their wallets a favor, but they are doing the vast majority of us a great disservice. I realize, sadly, that we may never have a union on property, but I would like to see the pilots look out for each other BEFORE looking out for those in suits.
I think you are missing the point. I don't go to work "for the vast majority of us". I work to support myself and my family. If I need or want to work a few OT days for extra money, so be it. You guys can "educate" me all you want, but I just don't care.

Also, if you think having a union will change things, you are wrong. I have a couple of friends that are at FedEx. Even though they are happy, there is not as much movement as they would like to see because a lot of the old guys are picking up a ton of OT to pad their pension when the retire. Again, even at a unionized company, most people do what is best for themselves.

Latest resources

Back