• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TheDogsBollocks

Ex-AMF Scallywag!
Hi,
I'm interested in flying for Flight Options. I was wondering if any options pilot or anybody in the know could answer the following questions:

1) Pay scale for a new hire and progression.
2) Upgrade time.
3) Domicile and commuting policy.
4) General working conditions and quality of life.

A referral to an appropriate website for this information would be helpful if possible.

Thanks.

Nope

Use the information on fracstats with caution it is outdated. If you do a search on this site, there are several post with all the information you need.

What I was told at the interview:

1) Salary for a 1st year FO in the small cabin category (what you'll most likely get as a new hire) is 34,000 plus just over 8,000 per year per diem. Second year adds about 2000, 3rd about 4000. Upgrade to the mid class cabin is approximately 14000 more than a second year in the small cabins (you have a one year seat lock after your type ride and can't bid the same seat in the same class of aircraft unless it's the King Air to a small cabin jet)

2) Upgrade is supposedly 2 to 3 years depending on the airfame you want. Pay for a first year captain (the same regardless of how many years with the company) in the small cabin planes is approximatey 60,000 including the per diem.

3) Your domicile can be any airport in the 48 states as long as it has 3 airlines providing regularly scheduled service and has at least 6 flights a day. You must live within one hour of your domicile.

4) You work an 8 day on and 7 day off schedule. The company travels you to and from your domicile airport on the first and last day of your 8 days. You get 16 days off per year (usuable as sick or vacation) and that can be banked up to 30 days where it becomes use or lose. You will be working on all 8 days. The company puts you up in nice hotels wherever they can and seem to be very well organized. You could literally end up flying anywhere from one day to the next, international or domestic.

All this is based on the briefing I got from Eric in HR during my interview last week. I'm starting ground indoc on the 25th and that lasts 6 days. I'll find out what equipment I'll be flying then. I'm sure that people on this forum will pipe in with some real experiences with FO and correct me anywhere that I'm mistaken. All in all the company sounds great.

Last edited:
WileE,
Thanks for your response it was most helpful - good luck in training.

1) Salary for a 1st year FO in the small cabin category (what you'll most likely get as a new hire) is 34,000 plus just over 8,000 per year per diem. Second year adds about 2000, 3rd about 4000. Upgrade to the mid class cabin is approximately 14000 more than a second year in the small cabins (you have a one year seat lock after your type ride and can't bid the same seat in the same class of aircraft unless it's the King Air to a small cabin jet)

Most of your info there sounds correct, but the one about mid cabin FOs making 14000 more than small cabin is incorrect. I don't have the exact numbers, but I know that large cabin(Falcon, Challenger, Citation X) FOs make 48,000 first year plus perdiem - so the mid cabin FOs fall somewhere in between that and small cabin. Maybe somebody else will be able to give more specific numbers for the mid cabin.

Most of your info there sounds correct, but the one about mid cabin FOs making 14000 more than small cabin is incorrect. I don't have the exact numbers, but I know that large cabin(Falcon, Challenger, Citation X) FOs make 48,000 first year plus perdiem

Flight Options does not have any Citation X pilots so large cabin pilots will only be flying the Falcon or Challenger.

First year small cabin SIC pay is $34,000 per year. First year mid-cabin pay is $35,000 per year. Year two and thereafter the pay is the same in both cabins.

I dare say nobody needs to be worried about being hired into the mid-cabins. It had happened several months back and there were people who raised hel! about it. Those positions in the mid-cabins are now being filled from within to those who have bids in for that equipment.

We do have Citation X drivers trained, but I don't think many people know when the program will be fully staffed by Options pilots. They have a PM for the program and there have been pilots sent to training. They may or may not be flying the jets now. For the company's sake, I wished they had been trained before the Xs even came on property so we wouldn't have to worry about having the Swift guys "charter" for us. That's a whole other story.....

Four Flight Options pilots were sent to Initial back in Jan or Feb but never actually flew the plane (at least not an "Options" X). Options only has one X on property, it was purchaced a little over a month ago, and it is being managed by Swift. Swift is flying 4 other X's for Options and to my knowledge, are all being flown by Swift pilots. Clap metions he wished Options pilots were trained before the planes "came on property", that was the case with the one aircraft and it seems for now, it didn't make any difference. So his worries are unfounded.

typo on my part.

What I meant to say is that a first year captain (not "mid class cabin", my fingers have a mind of their own apparently and don't know what they're talking about) makes about 14000 more than a 2nd year FO.

What I meant to say is that a first year captain (not "mid class cabin", my fingers have a mind of their own apparently and don't know what they're talking about) makes about 14000 more than a 2nd year FO.

If I remember correctly, first year PIC in small cabin is around 52k, mid cabin is around 62k, and large cabin is around 75k. I think the GIV first year is 100k, but I never paid it much attention because we will never have enough of those for my seniority to hold a slot.

Latest resources

Back