• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Options Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dont stop fighting guys.. Remember every single leg the aircraft needs to be thoroughly pre flighted and any and all discrepancies noted on a 501...

One advantage of coming to flops is that you will get a type rating in training and a couple of types look good on the resume for a better job..

Problem is I won't be able to trust any of the pilots that will be coming Options to do a preflight. Its hard to go from a C172 to a jet and know what to look for.

Did You Know

Found this on another board, so I can't make any claim, other than it is a great read. :)

As an avid reader of the bulletin board, I thought I would take a shot at writing my own Did You Know. So, here goes:

DID YOU KNOW FLIGHT OPTIONS IS HIRING PILOTS?

No? Well, management says so. I wondered what their ad for new-hires reads like? So, I got to browsing around the Internet and I found the following information posted out there. It appears to be a message designed for the owners and customers, not potential pilots. Wow, it sure instills confidence in me. After reading this encouraging message, if I had a few extra couple hundred grand or so lying around, I’d surely rush right out and sign on the dotted line to have Flight Options be my fractional operator of choice. NOT!!!! Read if for yourself and tell me what you think:

“HIRING PILOTS

Nothing contributes more to your overall safety as an aircraft owner or customer of Flight Options than a professional pilot in the cockpit. That's why Flight Options wants to recruit and retain the best pilots in the industry, bar none. But alas, in reality we can only attract low-time pilots because of our poor reputation in the industry among the flyboys. Having lost well over 100 pilots in the last nine months, we have actually given up on the concept of retention and have instead focused solely on our bottom line and filling the seats with eager new-hires. We think it’s a good thing that seasoned pilots have left in droves; these overpaid bus-drivers who have been around for a while run up a lot more in payroll costs than a new kid who will gladly work for food stamps. Heck, they both have a pilot’s license and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) says they should be equally as good at keeping the airplane right side up. So, what’s to worry?

Currently, the average Flight Options pilot has over 6,900 hours of flight time and is type-rated by the FAA with an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) classification. You just don’t find that piece of paper on the back of a cereal box, no siree Bob. However, we think this amount of flight time may be excessive. So, we are planning on hiring pilots with a whopping 300 hours in a jet, in addition to their extensive single-engine flight instructor time. The more experienced ones don’t want to work here and, as we have proven over the last couple of years, we don’t want them around, anyway. These malcontents had the gall to organize and form a Union. Can you believe it? What a bunch of ingrates. Now they are clamoring for a contract to bring them up to industry standards. Well, for now, there aren’t enough of them making noise or paying dues to pay much attention to. Until they get their act together, we will just continue on with business as usual.

Besides, many of these more experience pilots seem to have a fear of flying. As you know, some of our jets are getting a little tired. Yes, we will admit it; they need some work. But, just like our cars and boats, not everything that is wrong with these airplanes is all that important. But, these experienced pilots want everything to work. EVERYTHING! Picky, picky, picky. If things aren’t just so, some of them wont take off. How ridiculous is that? Consequently, we have instituted a series of productivity workshops to try and encourage them to see things the same way we do.

The results of these productivity workshops so far have been spectacular. We have determined that if you dangle the possibility of a small “bonus” in front of some of the pilots who have been around awhile, they get their courage up, ignore the stuff that is hanging loose or doesn’t work just right, and fly more legs than the rest of the pilots. You should see the pretty colored graphs and charts prepared by our Program Managers that are used at these workshops. Way to go boys! The pilots who aren’t getting the bonus just don’t understand the mission. As the saying goes, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. So, we are recruiting new pups that we hope will not be all that meticulous. Given their lack of experience, they will probably be extra-thankful just to have a flying job.

These guys and gals will all be trained to the minimal standards of Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 135 at a training program conducted at CAE SimuFlite, which is the world's largest pilot training facility. But, this type of training costs money. To cut costs, we are encouraging our new-hires to utilize our specially designed online supplemental ground training system for additional information on specific processes and procedures. It's online, not on paper, so we can change it at our whim. Why waste their time in a classroom with an instructor, when these new-hires can learn what makes our airplanes fly, how to not run out of fuel and keep the engines running, etc., and do it in the comfort of their own living room, all the while sipping a brew or two. We have concluded that the popular video games played at home by the younger generation have given potential new-hires plenty of practice at developing hand-eye coordination. Avoiding attacking Ninjas is not an easy task, let me tell you. We intend to capitalize on these skills and firmly believe these kids can be equally as lucky at staying out of trouble when their easy chair is moving along at over 500 miles and hour and they can’t see a thing out the windows. Of course, drinking while on flying is a definite no-no.

To attract the type of pilots we want, we will probably be required to lower our performance standards just a bit so these inexperienced candidates can eventually pass the training. However, we are extremely confident that our crack “team” of managers can housebreak these kids before one of them makes a mess on a hillside somewhere. We will be expanding the list of available workshops to include a module on accident prevention while honing your flying skills. Based on our market research and other “metrics” we are so fond of quoting, this workshop promises to be a very popular course among the eager young aviators who will be beating down the door to fly you and your family around the country.

As you know, each Flight Options aircraft is operated by two type-rated pilots in the cockpit. Have you ever wondered why? The FAA doesn’t require such a thing, so we are re-evaluating our policy. We expect that some of the new-hire pilots will probably have a hard time achieving a type-rating anyway until they gain more experience in a jet. Since all our current pilots fly the jet from the left seat, why does the new guy or gal in the right seat need to have much jet time to be hired or become type rated? The answer is, we don’t think they do. They can sit on the right side of the aircraft until they figure out what all the buttons and switches up there really do. In any event, our crewmembers all complete annual simulator training and checkrides. We are betting we can use these regular checks to identify those new pilots who aren’t learning fast enough. With the implementation of this new policy, we are going to save a bunch of money that can be used to pay higher salaries to the senior managers that are ruining this place. (Note from the editor: please change “ruining” to “running.” I think it is a typo, but maybe not.)

Currently, we have the safest and most professional pilots in the industry and we really appreciate what they do. Often times, the hotels they are forced to stay in are not of the quality that a professional pilot would use. So, we regularly place our pilots at FBO’s at the airports at 5 A.M. without a duty assignment so they can get some rest without being disturbed by gunshots or other distractions. We hire only those pilots who possess a first-class FAA medical certificate. These are healthy individuals. They don’t get sick—they better not. Consequently, to discourage them from being sick or wasting money on overpaid doctors (except those who are some of our owners), we recently raised the healthcare benefit costs paid by some pilots for a family of four by 200%. What a popular move that was. We want our pilots well fed, so we provide them with crew meals of processed ham and turkey sandwiches as often as possible for lunch. Breakfasts and dinners, when available, are equally as inviting. We believe the added preservatives in these meals will assist in preserving our crewmembers, as well. To our knowledge, none of these chemicals have yet made it on the list of known carcinogens.

The word is out there in the aviation community—Flight Options is a great place to work as pilot; that is unless you want good pay and a vacation with your family. So, we are targeting young pilots who have not gotten married or had kids. No spouse, no kids, no need for a vacation. Why bother? We don’t pay high enough wages for a pilot to take a family on a decent vacation, anyway. Instead of a vacation, we send our pilots to exotic places around the Western Hemisphere and let them spend sleepless nights at flea-bag hotels or FBOs. It is truly a career on a “Higher Plane.”

As a current or prospective owner or customer of Flight Options, you can take comfort in the fact that management has it all figured out.”

NOW YOU KNOW!

And Flight Options Management wouldn't dare publish minimums lower than that required by the Airline Transport License. That would be too much ammunition to give the Union to share with the Owners. Instead, like every aviation company, there will be Pilots who will still apply who have significantly less than the stated minimums. However, unlike most employers who will thank the applicant and ask him to reapply when he meets the stated minimums, our Management will most likely be forced to contact the several hundred hour Total Time applicant and ask him:

When can you report for class?

Our Beechjet Captains are in for loads of fun this Winter.

Freedom.

Oh I can't wait to tell an owner, that his copilot flying his family has 1000tt and less than 100 of jet time, oh, in front of said copilot of course. Can't wait to see that look.

Our Check Airmen have very high standards, especially in the BJ program. If the company attempts to bring pilots on property with little to no turbine experience, I would expect to see a fairly high washout rate.

I agree mostly

Our Check Airmen have very high standards, especially in the BJ program. If the company attempts to bring pilots on property with little to no turbine experience, I would expect to see a fairly high washout rate.

Our checkairman are good guys but I think they'd be the ones washed out for going against the almighty S twins and what they want. We need a damn contract like yesterday

Our checkairman are good guys but I think they'd be the ones washed out for going against the almighty S twins and what they want. We need a damn contract like yesterday

For the most part they are good, thank god the top one is great. But there are quite a few do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do there in the BJ program. We have a few that mix their own kool aid

For the most part they are good, thank god the top one is great. But there are quite a few do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do there in the BJ program. We have a few that mix their own kool aid

I agee dime line, and the worst one has his name on the same list that Uncle Bob does.

Latest resources

Back