Flight instructors need for FIT Aviation in Melbourne, Fl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyflorida2001

FIT Aviation (Florida Tech) is looking for flight instructors for the upcoming semester and year. Qualified Applicants will need CFI and CFII and be available to beign work January 3, 2006.

If interested please send a resume to:
FIT Aviation
Attn: Jason Maceyunas
640 Harry Sutton Rd
Melbourne, FL 32901

Good pay and possible benefits. Fly 20-40 hours per week.

I am a current instructor and just wanted to put the word out there. We need people. Be prepared for a rather indepth interview as we require instructors to be VERY knowledgable.

Not a bad school to work for, nice location and new airplanes, however because it is a University you will probably be laid off for the summer (starting in May) if you are not classified as regular part-time. I have friends that worked there and were sent home for three months during the summer months. Melbourne is a nice place though, just live out on the beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour Beach, or Satellite Beach. Avoid Palm Bay and West Melbourne.

Last edited:
Who is running the show now? I heard that the general got fired, thank god. Jason was one of my instructors there and a really nice guy. Hopefully the rest of the flight school has gotten better since I left.

Things are SO much better now. The General is gone, so is his entourage of goonies (Marsha, Wayne, and the rest of them). Jason is the Chief Instructor now. A guy named Frank Gallagher took over for Mcentyre.

It has turned into a much better school and a much better place to work than when I was a student.

StrykerFL said:
Not a bad school to work for, nice location and new airplanes, however because it is a University you will probably be laid off for the summer (starting in May) if you are not classified as regular part-time. I have friends that worked there and were sent home for three months during the summer months. Melbourne is a nice place though, just live out on the beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour Beach, or Satellite Beach. Avoid Palm Bay and West Melbourne.

What's wrong with W. Melbourne?

The usual.....

Sounds like the usual offer. They classify you as non-faculty and lump you with all the in-house time builders. That translates into no medical and no salary. Now, in defense of FIT, it is Florida, so your expectation of actually getting to work those billable hours during winter semester is MUCH BETTER than some of the midwestern locations I've applied to. Also, you will never be able to fly decent equipment like that (and for the discount rates these colleges give you) on a part 61 outfit so not arguing there at all.

I'm doing the job search thing for January employment, and focusing on universities, and the job offers I've got hurt. I came back from an interview and was driving back home, talking to the gf on the phone trying to get some feedback, although I was already fairly dissapointed with the offer. She secures the conversation with: "Listen, I can match that income with my commissioned RETAIL job, working 25-30hrs and I go to school full-time as you know; you just got offered a de facto part time job"...dang the truth hurts. I guess to those of us who are not interested in pursuing a CFI job as a stepping stone to the airlines it's just not good enough to get paid in cookies..*cough* I mean flight time. :D

This thread also reminds me of another thing. All these outfits just won't cough it up, I've had to put my foot down and uncomfortably request they fessed up the d^mn compensation information, but then again I wasn't brought up in the school of thought that said asking for people's compensation was "crass and improper"..oh that's right my parents were both govt working bees, their salaries were always public domain :D

It has been my experience that only those people who are either making sh%t or making morally reprehensible amounts are the groups that get offended. I'm sure this offer is of the former.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FIT job called for $15/hr billable time (flight, ground or sim), no university benfits, considered full-time but non-faculty (i.e. you keep the hourly rate and not a salary, but you don't get laid off on the summers). Actually not a bad deal...in FLORIDA. Anywhere else I wouldn't look twice. Now, I'm giving them the benfit of the doubt, cause I gotta tell ya, I've heard worse offers. Try a probationary period pay rate for the first semester that's lower than working at Mickey D's, and staff employment designations that put you two levels below the janitor. Oh an no hour guarantees in the snow covered tundra and no flying for a week isn't uncommon.

There are good outfits out there though, full-time slots with salary and full time university-employee benefits (vaction, retirement plan, free tuition, sick leave). Alas, those places are locked in and only preferential in-house candidates need bother with trying. Who knew one needed a 'crappier' CFI job as a stepping stone to a 'just crappy' CFI job. This industry is hilarious, I don't know how you 121 hopefuls do it, my hat's off to ya.

Come on, flyflorida , fess up that money chart man, we're among friends here! :D

EDIT: I just re-read the job posting and that yet again reminded me of the latest interview. I think some of the shenanigans that go on interview-wise are just ridiculous. I've had Guard interviews be more laxed and yet more respectful than these 141 joints. You can't have the cake and eat it too, I don't mind being put on the spot and being tested, bring it on, as I earned my certifications, and did not find them in a cracker jack box (I loved it when they acted all surprised when I scored above average on their pop-up written examination..I should have walked out), but come on, it ain't an airline/military slot interview, it's a job which the insititutions themselves have deemed to be bottom of the barrel and compensate accordingly; go sail a f%cking boat with the 3rd degree for $10/hr and no hour guarantee..what's next? An unannouced FSDO style flight check just to be considered, and at the applicant's cost? :D

Last edited:
Heyfolks....I was by no means trying to snuff you guys with pay info. My boss said we were having trouble getting enough applicants so I threw it out there for yall. Hopefully I can answer some of your quesitons. I think you all know the gig. Its similiar to most of them out there. as the last guy said, no you are not faculty...altough there is some university benenfits like cheap University gym memebership and crap like that.

As for the rest, here you go...if you have any questions let me konw. I check this every couple of days so give me a little time to get back to you!

just a few questions so i can better understand this-

What a/c do you all fly?
21 PA28-161
4 PA28R-201
3 PA44-180
3 C-172SP
1 C-152
1 7ECA (I think thats it....its a Citabria)
1 Cirrus SR-20
1 Cirrus SR-22

Is this 141 or 61?
90% is 141...there are a few 61s floating around

Are there deadlines for ratings/stage checks or are courses ongoing?
They want each course finished within a semester (which isnt hard)

What is a typical schedule/student load?
6 days a week....usually 7 or 8 students...so 3 to 4 per day at 2 hours a piece

Whats cost of living? Would/could this be supplied by university?
the Space Coast of Florida is one of the nations lowest costs of living. I don't think there is a cost of living payment from the school though.

What is typical pay? Possible benefits means what?

if you have previous instruction than you usually start higher, but for the newly minted CFI the pay starts at $15/hr

After 300 hours of flight AND GROUND instruction you go to 16 (like 150 of each...shouldnt take more than a month or two)
After 750 total flight and Ground you go to 17
...and there after $1 for every 750 additional flgiht and ground.
So by the end of a year you schould be between 17 and 18 per hour.

If you get 1000 flight dual given you can get benifits.

Any other info you think would be helpful

I started as a student and worked up to an Instructor ...its a great place to work! And hey...its in Florida....I dont know where you are...but I'm going home and going to the pool at my apartment...its in the mid 80's!

Latest resources

Back