• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Instructors forced to wear epaulates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This was very entertaining....But avbug has some strong points...strong opinions or fatcs...Kind of reminds me of Bill O'Reiley...no offense. I've seen guys n gals in pilot uniforms in ragged cars...I'm talkin real rust buckets and clunkers. Can't afford nice cars because they spent all their duckets on aviation education....does nothing to the image.....I see this ALOT...But these pilots are often hardcore...some of the best...WHY? Because they passed on the Benz and put their money towards learning...I've flown with em...and their skill shows in the airplane, not by the wheels. And yes Greed, that was funny.

Last edited:
Take it off lol

Ive yet to see any surgeon or cop walking around the walmart in their uniform.

It's the professional thing to do, it's about showing a positive image.

Many people out there, despite what has happened the last decade with the profession, still respect pilots. That's pretty much all there is left of this profession. They have an image of us as professionals. That gets tarnshied as we walk around walmart holding chips and beer or driving our motorcycles in full uniform clutching a McDonalds bag.

Nothing against Mcdonalds, and nothing against motorcycles.

I see cops at Walmart all the time. They are usually there arresting the ghetto shoplifters that are constantly in there.

I've seen guys n gals in pilot uniforms in ragged cars...I'm talking real rust buckets and clunkers. Can't afford nice cars because they spent all their duckets on aviation education

Pilots riding in a piece of crap car is fine. Their intent is to get to work. Many pilots (highly paid captains or low paid copilots) drive a clunker as an airport car. They do this mainly because they're cheap to get, but also because they don't have to worry about it getting stolen when it is parked for extended periods at the airport or some crash pad. Who wants to steal a junker car really?

Driving a clunker in uniform is different than speeding around on a motorbike in uniform. What's different is the intent.
Why is the motorcycle scenario wrong? Because its immature, pompous, in bad taste and obvious the instructor was seeking attention and wanted to make sure everyone noticed him.
Embarrassing.

Most professions, where you're a noticeable public figure, have rules regarding wearing the uniform outside of the workplace, except going to and from work.
When I was in law enforcement, we had to go straight to and from work while in uniform, no exception. None of this business of stopping for a gallon of milk on the way home from work.
How many times do you see other public figures, like a judge in his robe riding a motorcycle with his robe flapping in the breeze, or a firefighter with his little hat on riding a motorcycle, or a military officer in full dress uniform. Just something you don't expect to see.

Well I'm not going to carry the issue on my back...I don't see anything wrong with motorcycles. I love bikes. How many times have i seen public figures on the way to work on bikes?? Several...I have seen TSA screeners in uniform on bikes and in walmart shopping for groceries, I see cops on bikes all the time...hell one pulled me over for god sakes...those were some of the biggest black boots I have ever seen worn!!! I got not ticket just a warning...(whew) I 've seen people in scrubs walking around in the mall, when I worked for ASIG servicing Spirit Airlines, I saw a pilot siting in the left seat in full uniform wearing a go U.S. army baseball cap!!! people in the airport could see em!! We pushed the airplane back fromt he gate and the plane left.....I've seen Military personel on bikes in camos, Hell the Govenor of California busted his ass on his bike....did I see it...no, but it was all over the news...he was like "Ja, I caam aroun tha cornah and busted my aaahhss"!! Das ist irre witzig!!

Here is something else I've seen. Another time when I was working as a fleet service clerk for ASIG, I saw a Spirit Airlines Captain, with glossy red eyes, with the smell of whiskey, with slurred speach come down the jetway exit and walk across the ramp....he wasn't walking straight. Did I do something??...you bet. I walked over to the ground ops room and told them about it. He was flying the MD-80 at the time. I don't know if they did anything to em that day. Or at all. All I know is the next time I saw em, He was Captain on the A319 and then 2 month's after that he was retiring. I remember the airport firetrucks spraying water over the plane for his last flight. I'm not sure if I could have done more or what I dont had any effect at all, But At lease I told representatives of the company. Also the last few times I saw him, he wouldn't look at me or anything...

Want more? two years ago, it was Halloween night, I was cruizing through a neighborhood trick or treating with my little nephews here in Tampa, and I saw a person, who appeared to be in his early twenties about 5ft 6in. tall, walking with a few kids and two other persons who appeared to have been the same age is him, in what appeared to be a Pilots uniform....White shirt n tie, shoulder boards and n slacks.....Was this a Pilot?? Or some one pretending to be a Pilot....I dunno....

Go to youtube, in the search bar put airline pilot comedy....a video will appear that will show people dressed as pilots in simulators making fun of Pilots.... there are various commercials that suggest that pilots are kind of stupid...like the one that shows the two pilots sitting in the terminal waiting for a plane working crossword puzzles...not knowing how to spell...Then they get up and one says, i hope were sitting next to each other....Should we go after these people who make this stuff??? what are you gonna say about these things?? Hurts the image? NOT....

Go to youtube, in the search bar put airline pilot comedy....a video will appear that will show people dressed as pilots in simulators making fun of Pilots.... there are various commercials that suggest that pilots are kind of stupid...

This excerpt from your message is about the only thing you said that I do agree with. Pilots are oftentimes made to look like stupid, stumbling, drunken incompetent idiots.
That's why there's so many Parody's about pilots. There's so many I can't list them all, but here's a few.

1. Weavin on a Jet Plane (youtube)
2. Pilot Comedy in a Simulator (youtube)
3. AIRPLANE! (no explanation necessary)
4. Hudson River Landing Spoof (youtube)
5. Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy (Real Men of Genius that was banned)
6. Dean Martin/Foster Brooks Drunk Airline Pilot skit
7. "Man Show" Drunk Pilot Parody video, where Adam Corolla & Jimmy Kimmell dressed up as pilots and got drunk in the airport bar.

The public already has a preconceived negative opinion about pilots. If you don't think so, please see above list.
Pilots have huge egos, much more than any other profession that I've seen. Some pilots want the public to see them in their uniform and think that they fly big shiny jets. You won't see as many parody's about any other profession as you will for pilots.
We don't need to be riding around in uniform like an idiot on a motorcycle. It's unprofessional. It only takes 10 seconds to pull off the shoulder boards. That makes all the difference. Mine come off first thing as I get in my junker car on the way home from the airport.

Go to youtube, in the search bar put airline pilot comedy....a video will appear that will show people dressed as pilots in simulators making fun of Pilots.... there are various commercials that suggest that pilots are kind of stupid...like the one that shows the two pilots sitting in the terminal waiting for a plane working crossword puzzles...not knowing how to spell...Then they get up and one says, i hope were sitting next to each other....Should we go after these people who make this stuff??? what are you gonna say about these things?? Hurts the image? NOT....

Well think about it first... Those negative commercials or portrays of pilots are based on reality! Why do you think Budwiser and others have used drunk pilots or pilots partying in general in their advertisements? Because one bone head made headlines or maybe it's something the producers had seen before. You think it would be happening for PANAM pilots back in the day?? This is what we all mean by hurting the image and the general degradation of the pilot imagine. Don't add to it.

Well let me ask you this question....the next time you see a pilot riding a motorcycle or parading around on a bike with a bag of mcdonald's or see a person out of place, in such a manner...What are YOU gonna do about it?

Latest resources

Back