• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Express interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FYI capt. poopypants, I spent three years at FLX and I can certainly tell you that in the beginning things were good and the MX on the 210's was good, the MX on the Barons was a different story. I was NEVER late, NEVER used a sick day, NEVER had a problem with management, NEVER left a bag on the ramp, NEVER damaged an airplane, I was not even close to being a pain in Ernst's a$$, as a matter of fact, after two years I don't even think he knew my name! I also NEVER got a vacation day, the only two days I got off in three years was one day for the birth of a child and one day for the funeral of a family member! I have no problem with the company, it was a good experience but you have to spend a little more time there to understand where some of these people are coming from. You also have to understand that after two years of service and getting rejected for a day off for something important or a vacation that is granted and than taken away at the last minute does get old. As far as squawking a broke airplane and getting a new one, you must be in ORL or another MX base because that does not usually happen at the other domiciles, they were pretty good about having a spare though (if there was one available). Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bust your b***s, however, most of what TheBigCheese said is true exept for what was said about the DO, that was a little harsh. As far as IHF, he is a good friend of mine and all he did at FLX was his job and a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good one at that, he had no problems with management that I ever knew of. Hopefully things are a little better around there and the group of pilots are happy. Aside from some of the minor issues, FLX was a good time and I certainly hope the company manages through the new changes in check processing and continues to press on.

Capt. JD said:
FLX 803 is not good, duty is from 2:30pm to 3-4am, 13 hours. I am calling Director of Ops. on Monday to tell him I cannot do this run... I hope I get a short run or I am leaving the company... Glad to hear your doing good!

Some words of wisdom from a guy who has done everything from CFI to the Majors.

Get out of aviation now, you are not cut out for it and it is clear to anyone that read your post.

13 hours is a normal work day for a pilot. Most of my days at the Major ran 12 to 14. Regionals are the same. Corporate can run 22 to 23 very often, freight was 12 hours 5 nights a week 4pm to 4 am.

As a pilot you will hardly ever see a job with less duty time, you will hardly ever see a Christmas or Thanksgiving off, Forget about birthdays and anniverseries. They are not a part of the profession that you chose as your career. They never have been, nor will they ever be. You are paid to fly an airplane when it needs flown, Period!

If your goal is the airlines, Expect to be away from home for 20 to 22 days(And Nights) a month, no matter what you have heard from a neighbor or read in the papers.

If you decide to stay in the profession. QUIT WHINING.......Because as of now, you have been informed about the real world of being a Professional Pilot.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Some words of wisdom from a guy who has done everything from CFI to the Majors.

Get out of aviation now, you are not cut out for it and it is clear to anyone that read your post.

13 hours is a normal work day for a pilot. Most of my days at the Major ran 12 to 14. Regionals are the same. Corporate can run 22 to 23 very often, freight was 12 hours 5 nights a week 4pm to 4 am.

As a pilot you will hardly ever see a job with less duty time, you will hardly ever see a Christmas or Thanksgiving off, Forget about birthdays and anniverseries. They are not a part of the profession that you chose as your career. They never have been, nor will they ever be. You are paid to fly an airplane when it needs flown, Period!

If your goal is the airlines, Expect to be away from home for 20 to 22 days(And Nights) a month, no matter what you have heard from a neighbor or read in the papers.

If you decide to stay in the profession. QUIT WHINING.......Because as of now, you have been informed about the real world of being a Professional Pilot.

Well said, It bugs the hell out of me to see people get into this industry with little or no research and then b!tch up a storm when things aren't as rosy as they predicted.

YODA said:
FYI capt. poopypants, I spent three years at FLX and I can certainly tell you that in the beginning things were good and the MX on the 210's was good, the MX on the Barons was a different story. I was NEVER late, NEVER used a sick day, NEVER had a problem with management, NEVER left a bag on the ramp, NEVER damaged an airplane, I was not even close to being a pain in Ernst's a$$, as a matter of fact, after two years I don't even think he knew my name! I also NEVER got a vacation day, the only two days I got off in three years was one day for the birth of a child and one day for the funeral of a family member! I have no problem with the company, it was a good experience but you have to spend a little more time there to understand where some of these people are coming from. You also have to understand that after two years of service and getting rejected for a day off for something important or a vacation that is granted and than taken away at the last minute does get old. As far as squawking a broke airplane and getting a new one, you must be in ORL or another MX base because that does not usually happen at the other domiciles, they were pretty good about having a spare though (if there was one available). Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bust your b***s, however, most of what TheBigCheese said is true exept for what was said about the DO, that was a little harsh. As far as IHF, he is a good friend of mine and all he did at FLX was his job and a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good one at that, he had no problems with management that I ever knew of. Hopefully things are a little better around there and the group of pilots are happy. Aside from some of the minor issues, FLX was a good time and I certainly hope the company manages through the new changes in check processing and continues to press on.
Hey YODA
Your not busting my ball$, Like I said I have never had a major maintainance problem, but I know there have been problems. And yes it is still impossible to get days off. Flight Express certainly has it's problems, but compared to some places it is a cake walk. My big problem is with guys who spent a few years here when the industry was bad and would have struggled to find a job elsewhere, suddenly grow these huge nuts and do whatever they can to bad mouth this company. IHF has been one of those guys. When you began working at FLX were you expecting to be there for 3yrs? I doubt it. I also agree that if I was here that long I would be pissed about not getting days off. I wouldn't come on some message board and bad mouth the entire company telling people that management hates the pilots and the DO is a washed up drunk. I have also agreed with IHF that Doug is not a good guy, but that doesn't mean when I leave the company I'll tell new guys to avoid Flight Express. You yourself Have Posted "Not a bad company, but good luck getting a day off". That is a realistic view of Flight Express. Not that airplanes are braking up in the sky, not that every airplane has been bellied in five times. All I would like to see is realistic posts, not personal attacks on a company that is a nothing more than a stepping stone in a professional pilots career. Not a career in itself.

Capt. Poopypants, I could not have said it better myself. Good luck and fly safe, don't let Doug push you guys around. I never had a problem with him but I also gave him just as much sarcasm and crap as he dished out to us. It was kind of fun.

rway36 said:
Capt. JD

Sounds to me you are a whiney little B$%ch. You should be happy to just have a flying job with 1300 hours. Having a scheduled run is a huge luxury that you are seeming not to appreciate. Try on call 24/7 365 with a call at midnight and your day is just getting started. I am sure " Pilot Yip " could shed some light on this. Just remember boxes don't complain!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my 5th flying job... The last one I had for 2 years, Aerial Imaging Pilot (www.landvue.com) I was on call 24/7 365 a year, traveling around the U.S. in all weather, to do mapping for government & companies.... Don't talk to me about dedication. I wanted a job with a good schedule so I can have a life, AKA so I can score some hotties like I use to in college... Your the type of guy that would only say this on a computer, I am the type of guy that would mental grip you apart in public just for my amusement, watch how you talk to people...

Last edited:
T-Gates said:
Well said, It bugs the hell out of me to see people get into this industry with little or no research and then b!tch up a storm when things aren't as rosy as they predicted.
I just want a route where I am on duty less at this particular company, Flight Express... If they cannot accommodate me on that, no hard feelings, I will give my bonus back and leave on good terms... Although it sounds like the Director of Ops. wants to help me... I never though things would be rosy as you say, but a 70 hour work week, come on! You work that hard and your life is over before you know it... There more to my life then flying airplanes, that not the only thing I want to accomplish before I check out...

Capt. JD said:
Your the type of guy that would only say this on a computer, I am the type of guy that would mental grip you apart in public just for my amusement, watch how you talk to people...
Are you talking to me? Are yoouu talking to me? You must be talking to me, I'm the only one standing here.
-DeNiro

Last edited:
haha

Bryan D said:
Are you talking to me? Are yoouu talking to me? You must be talking to me, I'm the only one standing here.
So what if I am? hahaha... What are you going to do about it, except take it...

Latest resources

Back