• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Express Info...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My run was 701. The BNA runs I think are all 300s. I think I remember a 302.

How is the mx at Flight Express? I have some previous 135 experience and there was always something wrong with the plane. Usually the same problem over and over.

Here's my question. How often have you ladies/gents flown through a T-storm? I see a lot of threads from freight pilots that seem to brag about it. This goes against all the training that most pilots get while working on their ratings. I have some 135 time and flew inadvertently through a level 4 and I know that I don't need to say how the ride was. But I can say it will never happen again. How does FLEX deal with any pilots that might be delayed on a daily basis because they will not penatrate a t-storm? I have been looking at sending them an online application and was just curious. I know that flying freight is not for the weak hearted.

This is a fair question and the answer is that if you fly freight long enough, you'll end up in your share of T-storms. There are some fright companies out there that will fire you if you're late because of T-storm deviations. They expect you to fly straight line no matter what. Luckily FLX is not one of those. I deviated around many Thunder storms when I was there and was never given any grief about it. The thing they do expect out of is to do your best to get there despite the weather. That means that sometimes you fly into that iffy cloud (this is at night, remember) or you launch out without having seen a radar picture before you left. You don't have radar, FSS is no help, and sometimes the WX computer is down. Therefore, if you fly with an appropriate level of aggressiveness, you'll find yourself in some bad weather sometimes. At this point, basic airmanship becomes important. How good is your instrument scan? Do you have an out if things get too bad? Do you know when things are getting too bad?
Nobody flies through thunderstorms just for the heck of it unless they're crazy. I flew through some while flying checks and it was never pleasant. I never really got used to it and I think that's a good thing. A healthy leve of fear can save your butt on some nights. So, pick the right company(FLX is a good one), set your own limits on what you will accept, modify those limits as necessary, and have fun! It's a good job and you'll get some great experience! Good Luck!

headinclouds said:
Here's my question. How often have you ladies/gents flown through a T-storm? I see a lot of threads from freight pilots that seem to brag about it. This goes against all the training that most pilots get while working on their ratings. I have some 135 time and flew inadvertently through a level 4 and I know that I don't need to say how the ride was. But I can say it will never happen again. How does FLEX deal with any pilots that might be delayed on a daily basis because they will not penatrate a t-storm? I have been looking at sending them an online application and was just curious. I know that flying freight is not for the weak hearted.

obviously you're not going to takeoff if there's a solid line of severe storms that you can't get around. you'll call dispatch (more like flight following, they ren't licensed dispatchers) and let them know when you think you'll be able to leave, so they can let the customer know. they can't "make" you leave. if they ever try to give you $hit about it, the DO will back you up.

that said, this type of situation will be rare.. so far in 7 months i've delayed on the ground once for weather (dest below mins) and most of the storms in florida are small and easy to deviate around visually or with vectors.

give gary hillyer (recruiter) a call at 407-895-0453 ext 610, i think they're running a class every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the responses. I have two other quick questions. First, I've noticed that FLEX has had three classes in the past month. Is that because of turnover or something else. Secondly, any idea if there is still a run out of KJQF (concord, n.c.) and if so where exactly does that run go? Thanks

turnover and small class sizes. the majority get hired somewhere before making it to the baron. the last few classes have started with 3-4 people, and then 1-2 end up not finishing the training, probably due to IFR proficiency.

i don't think there's a run based in concord anymore.

Is Matt H still there? He'd be one of the top 3 on the list I think. I used to fly for one of those "other" 135 outfits that is thankfully out of business now. Used to run into Matt in TLH and a few other places. My impression of FLX was always good but it's been 11 or 12 years since I was out there. I'm glad they're still around and from the sounds of things doing well.

Latest resources

Back