• Watchers 15

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
the nick nack paddy whack stuff after the feds put some real info up! Bottoms up!

Sometimes I nick nack the paddy whack in the shower. Is that against the regulations? Should I file a NASA report?

Kingairrick said:
It's more than 3. They lie to you when they tell you that in training. They told me 2 in 1989 when I got hired. I know of 4 since then. 1 in 1990 Bob Berry, 1 in Tampa in 97 or 98, 1 Arkansas,1 Mississippi, 1 yesterday. We had another crash in '90 that wasn't fatal, but the pilot was in intensive care for over a month. I don't think he ever walked again. I know his face was unrcognizable. That one was @ SRQ.

I don't know if you're talking about the recent crash in mississippi but if you are, that pilot walked away.

I work at FXE, and see FLX guys all the time. They don't have the easiest job out there, but they all seem like a good group of guys. My prayers go out to the FLX family.

I worked with Jorge in Tucson when he was a CFI. A great pilot and good man (ex-marine). Very sad...

dupe.

Last edited:
Kingairrick said:
It's more than 3. They lie to you when they tell you that in training. They told me 2 in 1989 when I got hired. I know of 4 since then. 1 in 1990 Bob Berry, 1 in Tampa in 97 or 98, 1 Arkansas,1 Mississippi, 1 yesterday. We had another crash in '90 that wasn't fatal, but the pilot was in intensive care for over a month. I don't think he ever walked again. I know his face was unrcognizable. That one was @ SRQ.

I agree that jumping to conclusions about this accident was in poor taste. But the safety record sucks at FLX. You can probably do a search in the NTSB database. The 3 letter for Flight Express used to be EXR. I don't know if that makes any difference in the search.

Once again, my thoughts and prayers are with all the freight dogs at Flight Express, and the pilot's family tonight.

The one in Mississippi did not die. I can assure you of that as he called me right after the crash. Yes, by all odds he should have died, but he didn't and I am so thankful!

C210

Yes we've lost 4, and yes we've bent a few airframes in our time.

Maintenance is not to blame for any of them, mainly it's been guys who were too tired and pushing it too hard or guys who were going too fast and not paying attention. The one fatality could be attributed to maintenance but I think it was more likely a mechanical fluke that could happen to anyone even in a perfectly maintained plane.

Last edited:
Princedietrich said:
Yes we've lost 4, and yes we've bent a few airframes in our time.

Maintenance is not to blame for any of them, mainly it's been guys who were too tired and pushing it too hard or guys who were going too fast and not paying attention. The one fatality could be attributed to maintenance but I think it was more likely a mechanical fluke that could happen to anyone even in a perfectly maintained plane.

Bob Berry in 1990 was a vacuum pump failure. The crash at SRQ was catastrophic engine failure, as was two other crashes that year. I had a prop governor failure that was nearly fatal. I had a mech. fuel pump failure in IMC, which compounded into a alternator failure. Because of the weather, very nearly catastrophic event.

I agree with some of your post, and I have no recent experience with Flight Express. However, it is my opinion that Kerchoffer had an attitude about safety that contributed to a corporate culture of risk that pervails today. It's the freight dog's "it was tough, but I got there." attitude. I had it when I was there, and I was dangerous. I did 2100 hours of 210 freight doggin' and I'm really glad I did. I learned more in those hours than in any other period of my career. But let's not sugar coat the safety record of an operator that is on the edge.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Did this pilot have family that we can take care of in some way?

Latest resources

Back