• Friendliest aviation community on the web
NTSB Preliminary information

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050106X00020&key=1

NTSB Identification: MIA05FA044
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation​
Accident occurred Friday, December 31, 2004 in Weston, FL​
Aircraft: Cessna 210N, registration: N6195N​
Injuries: 1 Fatal.​

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On December 31, 2004, about 2008 eastern standard time, a Cessna 210N, N6195N, registered to and operated by Flight Express Incorporated, as Express flight 106, a Title 14 CFR Part 91 positioning flight, crashed into the Florida Everglades, about 20 miles west of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Night instrument meteorological conditions prevailed in the area at the time, and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed. The commercial-rated pilot received fatal injuries, and the airplane was destroyed. The airplane departed from Orlando Executive Airport, Orlando, Florida, the same day, about 1900.

According to information obtained from the FAA, the accident airplane was en route to Opa Locka Airport when the accident occurred. The FAA official further stated that the pilot had recently received a radio communications "handoff" to the FAA Miami Approach controller, with a requirement that he descend and maintain 2,000 feet. He further stated that the pilot acknowledged the altitude change, but any subsequent attempts by the FAA controller to communicate with the flight yielded negative results. According to FAA Miami Air Traffic Control Radar information, the airplane was last observed on radar at an altitude of 800 feet.

A witness who was driving a car westbound on Alligator Alley, stated that he observed the lights of an airplane in the night sky, and noted that the airplane descended at a steep descent angle, while proceeding from north to south, and it disappeared below his horizon. The witness further stated at that time it was raining intensely, was very windy, and the visibility had been greatly reduced. He said that after seeing the airplane descend and disappear from sight he telephoned "911", and reported the accident.

Based upon having received a report of an airplane crash, U.S. Coast Guard and Broward County emergency personnel responded to the reported position, and the airplane wreckage was found in about 3 feet of swamp water and sawgrass, about 1 mile south of Alligator Alley in the vicinity of mile marker 28. The debris field was about 100 yards long, oriented in a southerly direction, with the engine at the southern extremity of the debris field.

rodawg said:
If anyone has flown south to Miami then you are familiar with the clearance to descend to 2,000 over the everglades way the hell out from civilization.

I just had that in a C172 with an instrument student at night in and out of solid IMC. Probably nothing exciting for the experienced folks, unlike for me, a fresh CFI with only 3-4h of actual time (of which most of it is .2 +.3 etc bs...) Regardless IMC or VMC, 2k over the glades is not good, not even in a multi but that is what they assign you to fly. We probably flew above, or close to the same path as the C210 driver did a few days later... it was just not our turn that night... You are so out of control. Had I not known the area, I would have never even figured what we were flying above. You, ATC, and the low enroute.

God bless him and his family!

I always hate to hear the bad news about someone losing their life. We all know it is an inherent part of the job, but no one gets into an airplane thinking that this could be the last time. I'm sure Jorge was looking forward to finishing another day at work and getting back to his family as the rest of us do. I believe that when it's our time to go, there's nothing we can do about it--whether it's flying, driving, or sitting at home watching football. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Gary, thanks for taking the time to stay in touch Jorge's family. I hope the company is doing something for them also.

Roger That!

Well written. Thanks for the kind words Dr.WP. And yes, the company is doing what they can for the family. He leaves behind a loving family and countless friends. He is missed by all.
Gary

Touchy Art... I was only stating what i have been told by others who work for your company...no speculation. I was friends with Will and saw him daily in Springdale when i flew the Baron out of Dallas, he and Jeff (another one of your pilots at the time) were pretty happy, however were very upfront with the lack of adequate mx on your companies part.

You may bring up anything you want to about our fatalities...they were unfortunately all pilot error except for one. Nothing to do with our mx department or how well we keep our a/c...we are top notch in the industry, and fortunately everyone knows that.

But back to the topic at hand...unfortunately he was found deceased on the scene. I do feel bad for him and his family as stated before and i am praying for them. He is flying high in a better place now.
I was meeting him that night on the ground and for the last two weeks that plane was leaking fluids like mad. I will never believe it was a microburst. It was mechanical failure in the air. Pilots (especially young ones) should never have to check the engine every stop. RIP Jorge...

Latest resources

Back