• Watchers 15

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
starchkr said:
Man that sucks!!! Another one down, how many does that make in the past few years? 3 that i know of, there might be more. I knew Will when he went down in Arkansas a couple years ago, then the "fire" bird in Mississippi, and now this one. I know the pilots i used to talk to always talked about how crappy mx was there, and i only speculate that it was mx again on this one since it was on the other two.

My condolences to the family and friends, and lets all pray for them.

Not cool starchkr. A fellow freight dog goes down and you have the nerve to speculate on a company and maintenance you know NOTHING about. I work for FLX and the maintenance is great where I am based. Should I bring up the 4 fatalities and numerous accidents Airnet has had?

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but we still do not know any details of what has happened. For all we know, the pilot may be alive. I hope and pray for it.

Art V.

The pilot was found at the site and did not survive. I think this makes 3 fatalities at Flight Express; Which is still a very good safety record. We will all eagarly await what the ntsb prelem has to say on this one.

Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

Last edited:
It's more than 3. They lie to you when they tell you that in training. They told me 2 in 1989 when I got hired. I know of 4 since then. 1 in 1990 Bob Berry, 1 in Tampa in 97 or 98, 1 Arkansas,1 Mississippi, 1 yesterday. We had another crash in '90 that wasn't fatal, but the pilot was in intensive care for over a month. I don't think he ever walked again. I know his face was unrcognizable. That one was @ SRQ.

I agree that jumping to conclusions about this accident was in poor taste. But the safety record sucks at FLX. You can probably do a search in the NTSB database. The 3 letter for Flight Express used to be EXR. I don't know if that makes any difference in the search.

Once again, my thoughts and prayers are with all the freight dogs at Flight Express, and the pilot's family tonight.

Pilot's Body Recovered From Plane Crash In Everglades

Plane Registered To Orlando Company

POSTED: 1:31 pm EST January 1, 2005
UPDATED: 1:44 pm EST January 1, 2005

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Rescue teams have recovered the body of an Ocala pilot who was killed when his small plane crashed in the Everglades on New Year's Eve.

The single-engine Cessna 210 went down around 8 p.m. about 20 miles west of Fort Lauderdale.

Officials with the Broward Sheriff's Office said the body of Jorge Garcia, 31, was found early Saturday morning.

The plane took off Friday from Orlando Executive Airport on its way to Opalocka.

The plane was registered to Flight Express Inc. of Orlando.

The company didn't return a phone message. Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board did not return a phone message.

I was the first to hear what happened that night. I heard Miami Center calling him with no reply back. This was at about 08:00PM. I landed and the tower asked for me to call them on a land line. When I called the controller spoke to me and explained what the situation was, and asked if I had talked to him in the air. He told me that the airplane was about 17 miles west northwest of FLL when he noticed that the airplane appeared to be lost. He said that the aircraft seemed to be under posative control at which point the aircraft dissapeared of the radar screen. I was asked to try to call him on company freq. which I received no answer. I shortly thereafter heard the Broward County Sherrifs Dept. helicopters leaving to the seen. The airplane was submerged in the glades. When the dive team went down they discovered that there was no pilot in the aircraft. From what I understand and if it is true the body was found underneath the plane. How the hell that happened is beyond me. I personally knew Jorge and it still has not sunk in. A sad thing to happen to a great guy. It will be interesting to hear what the NTSB comes up with. If anyone has flown south to Miami then you are familiar with the clearance to descend to 2,000 over the everglades way the hell out from civilization. At night that low over that area is a bad place to be if something goes wrong. Not a whole lot of options and not a whole lot of time. That might explain why there was no distress call. Too busy dealing with the problem knowing that your time is very limited. God bless his family for the loss that they have suffered.

Touchy Art... I was only stating what i have been told by others who work for your company...no speculation. I was friends with Will and saw him daily in Springdale when i flew the Baron out of Dallas, he and Jeff (another one of your pilots at the time) were pretty happy, however were very upfront with the lack of adequate mx on your companies part.

You may bring up anything you want to about our fatalities...they were unfortunately all pilot error except for one. Nothing to do with our mx department or how well we keep our a/c...we are top notch in the industry, and fortunately everyone knows that.

But back to the topic at hand...unfortunately he was found deceased on the scene. I do feel bad for him and his family as stated before and i am praying for them. He is flying high in a better place now.

Latest resources

Back